It's the game I've been waiting for... MGS3: Subistence!
Mar 23, 2006 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

seeberg

Headphoneus Supremus
Now, I wasn't fortunate enough to score the Limited Edition with disc 3: Existence, but I get the feeling I'll have that disc too, not before too long. But anyway, I finally have it it my grubby little hands, Subsistence. I've been waiting impatiently for this game since I first heard it was being made. And guess what? It's exactly what I was hoping for and then some!

When it came out as Snake Eater, it was easily one of the best games I had ever played, and gets even better since it has been refined and rereleased. Online multiplayer gameplay, new goodies in the main Snake Eater game, new camera perspective, the original Metal Gear games in all of their old school glory, duel mode, demo and secret theatre modes, and of course, the monkeys. Damn those monkeys
biggrin.gif
Man, where is my time gonna go wasting myself away with this game?

I can't wait until later tonight to really try out the online battle modes, and see how I stack up as an MGS player. Will I pwn? Will I be pwn'd? I have no idea, but crap oh crap I'm gonna have some fun. So anyone else have their copy yet, or are waiting for some online competition?

580smile.gif
Abe

edit: the title should read "Subsistence", and I can't change it. Oh well...

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 27
Is that out already?? I am definetly picking a copy up this weekend and getting online.

MGS is my favorite console game and probably of any video game now that i think of it.

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
Is that out already?? I am definetly picking a copy up this weekend and getting online.

MGS is my favorite console game and probably of any video game now that i think of it.

Yep, its been out since the 14th apparently. I got the Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 DVD with it because I had preordered it at EBgames. It didn't get here until today because I chose to have it shipped cheap.

580smile.gif
Abe

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 27
I'm going to have to buy it too, the camera sounds awesome. The whole time I was playing MGS3 I was thinking "man, this really needs a Jak and Daxter style camera".

I beat MGS2 on extreme difficulty, with no radar, using no rations, killing nobody, getting no alerts, without using stealth or infinite ammo, without entering alert mode in under 3 hours once.

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
I beat MGS2 on extreme difficulty, with no radar, using no rations, killing nobody, getting no alerts, without using stealth or infinite ammo, without entering alert mode in under 3 hours once.

And nothing but a good feeling in your heart and a title of accomplishment. Doesn't that suck compared to getting a real prize?
tongue.gif

Actually, if you do what you did in MGS2 for MGS3, I believe it's possible to get stealth camouflage and infinity facepaint, but I prefer the kerotan frog/capture tsuchinoko method, myself.

Also, I've tried out the new camera system. It's not at all bad, although it'd be nice to have some sort of compass assist. Besides that, being able to see my enemies before they see me is quite awesome.

580smile.gif
Abe

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
I'm going to have to buy it too, the camera sounds awesome. The whole time I was playing MGS3 I was thinking "man, this really needs a Jak and Daxter style camera".

So what rank did you end up getting?I believe the top was FOXHOUND.

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 27
Hold your horses!! Whats this about the old metal gears being on the game!!?? The SNES games? I might have to invest in that myself....
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:31 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall2072
Hold your horses!! Whats this about the old metal gears being on the game!!?? The SNES games? I might have to invest in that myself....
biggrin.gif

Are you being sarcastic
confused.gif

If not, the original Metal Gear games found on disc 2 are actually the original MSX2 Computer System versions, with the exception of some corrections, like official US translation revisions, better controller layouts, presets for the trancievers, endgame bonuses, memory card saving (no disks! Haha!), and graphical changes to certain elements to MG2:SS's character portraits, ala Yoji Shinkawa style, and me likey.

"I mean, who wants to play a game starring Michael Beihn(Solid Snake) and Richard Crenna(Col. Campbell) versus Sean Connery(Big Boss) and Tom Berenger(Gray Fox)? I dunno... dang, that sounds like a great game!!!
biggrin.gif
"

580smile.gif
Abe

Mar 27, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 27
Nope I'm serious, I'll have to look for it in the UK shops somewhen... when I have money, the Godfather, Tomb raider and Finals 12...(It'll be a while but one day!)

The death of the PS2 is coming. All the good games come out at a consoles last few months.

Long live the PS2... even if 2 of mine did break....
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 27
Picked up the game on saturday and played a bit of it online before i realized i need a keyboard and mice to even compete
tongue.gif

What i didnt know and should have research about it was the third disk has all the cutscenes which i thought was going to be included in the two disk version.

Mar 27, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall2072
The death of the PS2 is coming. All the good games come out at a consoles last few months.

Long live the PS2... even if 2 of mine did break....
biggrin.gif

Yeah, most major game consoles are set to have a six year cycle, with the exception of the Dreamcast, which failed before its time(I'm not faulting the system, BTW), and the original Xbox, which was replaced with another flagship console some two years before its time, otherwise the thing would be around until 2007, after the PS3 is supposed to come out, which Sony is already late on. It's March 2006, and Japan hasn't seen its release yet.

...And two of mine broke too
biggrin.gif
I had them fixed for free by Sony because I threatened to sue them, which eventually they did get sued and they settled (I had nothing to do with that). On console #3 I modified the exterior and the HDD expansion bay with electrical tape to cover all unnecessary venting, and it worked- dust that would have otherwise destroyed my console in a matter of months didn't do squat for three years! And then eventually I traded it in for a Slim PS2, which I use with XLink for LAN games and Magic Swap discs
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
Picked up the game on saturday and played a bit of it online before i realized i need a keyboard and mice to even compete
tongue.gif

What i didnt know and should have research about it was the third disk has all the cutscenes which i thought was going to be included in the two disk version.

I haven't even battled online yet, LOL! I should pick up a USB keyboard at some point, but I would rather get the USB headset and use an Ety-Com headset in the attachment place, like an Xbox headset if I could. It'd be worth the money, IMO.

And yeah, the third disc, Existence. Rare as hell and worth some serious bucks, but I only want a burned copy of it- I have no need for the authentic disc. I'm still kinda pissed that it wasn't standard though- I would have payed extra for it if I knew that I could have gotten it in advance...

580smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back