It's Official. The Bloggers at Gizmodo are Deaf.
Jul 25, 2012 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

schaaf

100+ Head-Fier
Sometimes Gizmodo says cool things about headphones. Sometimes they don't. (Make that most of the time.)

This is the opening line for an article about the new Fanny Wang 3001 NC headphones they "reviewed."

"If we've learned anything from Beats by Dre, it's that adding a little bit of style to a high-grade audio product goes a long way."

HA!!
High-grade audio huh?
I'm pretty sure I've read headphone "reviews" there that say there are better options. I'm just to lazy to dig around there and look for them. 

Here's the rest of the "review" in which they later say that imitating Beats isn't a bad thing....

http://gizmodo.com/5928747/fanny-wang-3100-noise+canceling-headphones-review-phat-sound-phony-fashion?comment=51286071

I'll just hop back up on the bus to Engadget...

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 14
Yeah, but Gizmodo has bashed them before, it's like they can't make up their mind....

"So Beats By Dre headphones sound kind of terrible by audiophile standards. Minus "kind of." 
http://bit.ly/IXbx92

People can love them all they want, it doesn't make them high-grade audio though. I don't know how anyone could argue that point. 

Jul 25, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 14
The irony is that when they actually are informed, they're still uninformed. The post in which they subtly bashed Beats, they claimed the QC15 to have much superior sound quality.

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
The irony is that when they actually are informed, they're still uninformed. The post in which they subtly bashed Beats, they claimed the QC15 to have much superior sound quality.

Have you tried both the Beats and the QC15? I found the QC15s to be not that bad (not exactly within that price range, but they were more enjoyable than the Studios, Solos, and possibly the Pros for sure)

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 14
What can I say, people have their own opinions (although some are completely influenced.) It's culture. Pop culture. And people eat that stuff for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But, as Head-Fi goes, don't believe the hype. Beats are over rated and the world doesn't really care. They will continue to buy them as long as rappers and whoever else continues to put them in their music videos. Sure, they look cool and all, but are you really going to use them professionally, or just brag about them like a child to your friends? 

I am going to do a social experiment. I will buy the entire beats lineup, but as fakes. Knock offs. And let's see how many people I can fool into thinking that Beats are "the best headphones in the world" I bet nobody on Head-Fi would be surprised at the results. :wink: 

Anyway, just my own personal rant here. Nothing more.

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
I am going to do a social experiment. I will buy the entire beats lineup, but as fakes. Knock offs. And let's see how many people I can fool into thinking that Beats are "the best headphones in the world" I bet nobody on Head-Fi would be surprised at the results. :wink: 

Anyway, just my own personal rant here. Nothing more.

DealExtreme used to sell some high-quality fakes at the $75-$100 price point that you couldn't tell apart from the real thing, but I believe that line was quietly shut down by Monster last year.

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
DealExtreme used to sell some high-quality fakes at the $75-$100 price point that you couldn't tell apart from the real thing, but I believe that line was quietly shut down by Monster last year.

Actually, just found a store that sold me a pair online. It's funny, they can't show the Beats logo, so the headphones are turned to the side. And the description says: Famous B Logo On Side! Pretty funny. Anyway, cost like 30 bucks. Will post results later this summer!

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Actually, just found a store that sold me a pair online. It's funny, they can't show the Beats logo, so the headphones are turned to the side. And the description says: Famous B Logo On Side! Pretty funny. Anyway, cost like 30 bucks. Will post results later this summer!

Most get away with it by showing the headphone with just a circle in the middle instead of the B, and then they encourage customers to upload photos of the finished product with full fake packaging and the B logo. I still own the packaging from when I bought fake Solos to do a driver transplant (I only kept the packaging because I threw away the packaging to my real Solos, which people doubt that I ever owned when I talk about Beats).

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
Most get away with it by showing the headphone with just a circle in the middle instead of the B, and then they encourage customers to upload photos of the finished product with full fake packaging and the B logo. I still own the packaging from when I bought fake Solos to do a driver transplant (I only kept the packaging because I threw away the packaging to my real Solos, which people doubt that I ever owned when I talk about Beats).

Ha, right... I'll definitely be doing some studies with them though. I bought fake Studios, Fake Solos and Fake Tours. Just thought I'd knock them all out in one shot. A driver transplant sounds like something I'd want to do in the future.

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Ha, right... I'll definitely be doing some studies with them though. I bought fake Studios, Fake Solos and Fake Tours. Just thought I'd knock them all out in one shot. A driver transplant sounds like something I'd want to do in the future.

I just put HD201 drivers in them, and then I got tired of them (they were really low-end $10 ones that felt like crap on my head just like the real thing) and yanked the same drivers back out to put in a gray-and-orange WeSC Maraca, the first headphone of any sort I ever bought (as opposed to received for free with an MP3 player).

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 14
"If we've learned anything from Beats by Dre, it's that adding a little bit of style to a high-grade audio product goes a long way."

The way I read is actually them praising the Beats for having good marketing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back