It's Done! Power Cord Shoot-Out-- 22 Power Cords Reviewed!
Apr 4, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #137 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawohlol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder whether you would hear the difference between a 2$ cord not designed for audio transmission (lol) and those cables costing more than 100x as much..

Easily. Better yet, make one yourself with 200.00 of Plugs and cable. It is amazing on the improvement. There are good companies like Oyaide, Furutech, WBT, to get stuff from.

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #138 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Easily. Better yet, make one yourself with 200.00 of Plugs and cable. It is amazing on the improvement. There are good companies like Oyaide, Furutech, WBT, to get stuff from.

No you'd *think* that you heard a difference but unless you're double blinded you have no way of preventing a placebo effect. And since placebo works even on actual diseases it'll definitely work on the disease of audiophilia
tongue.gif

Seriously, unless you have 2 friends-one who knows the brand of the cable and one who doesn't, and you have the one who does know the brand names remove all the markings and such then hand the cable to your other friend (who doesn't know), who then switches them for you while you gauge the sound there's just too much room for bias. Even single blinded if your friend knows which cable is cheap and which is expensive they're liable to have facial expressions that would clue you in.

Now if you want to pay $900 so you feel good and am totally convinced that the sound is better then it's your choice but I'll bet you cold hard cash that if you brought your cables along to me and I double blinded you, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Of course then the really nutty ones will probably blame my the wiring in my home for messing with their $900 power cable
jecklinsmile.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #139 of 204
It is really not that hard to notice the difference really if you are using cables that are different. Done this experiment made 2 cables exactly the same but one had Furutech Gold plugs and one with Rhodium. One sounded tall one sounded wide. Had 2 other Head-fiers around. You could make both cables for about 200 bucks.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #140 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Done this experiment made 2 cables exactly the same but one had Furutech Gold plugs and one with Rhodium. One sounded tall one sounded wide.

You must have golden ears, I must say.

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #141 of 204
You can buy a Juice Box Jr (power filter?) from TTVJ from as little as $175 too, which has two sockets, one for your amp and one for your source. It made a bigger difference than my DIY $100 power cords did. I did think for a while I must be nuts thinking that the power cords I have made any difference, but I did change them around recently and there was a distinct tonal change in my gear. Overall though, I'd go for the bigger brother of the above-mentioned unit if I were to do things again, which, IIRC, is about $500, and I have at least 5 power cables, so it would be worth it for me.

tekdemon: By the way, please notice the "DBT-free" in the forum title, before you post again, if you're going to do so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #142 of 204
Not golden ears. Just notice any change to my rig. Use a CD player not a computer. DO Not Use A Preamp. Just a simple CD > Amp. Not too hard really.

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #143 of 204
Just got some power cords done today..

The two silver ones are Einstein's "The Power Cord" clones while the black braided ones are regular home wiring cable I was told to try by my audiophile friends in India.

Need to borrow a heat-gun so i can square them away..till then..they are already installed in my system. The black cable is on my main amp while the Einstein cords are on my EHHA and DAC. The second of the black cables is missing a female IEC jack..will probably pick up a Schruter and terminate it here soon.

cables003.jpg

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #150 of 204
I remember this thread from a few years ago.
It started me on the whole cable thing but I gave up on making power cable and concentrated on i/cs. I reached the end game on i/cs just  a few months ago and decided to surf once again in the hope that I would find what I could'nt find a few years ago.

I live in France now and came across a French component supply company. Looking through their wire section I saw the Yarbo power cord and it was exactly what I had been searching for @ €17.50 per metre it had to be worth a punt. It's made with flat stranded copper and each conductor bundle is sheilded and the whole sheilded again. It's pretty beafy @18mm but quite flexible none the less. I used 'supposedly' knock-off Oyaide Schuko/IEC plugs I bought from Hong Kong.

I use it at present on my Bada h/amp and from new there was nothing unpleasant added to the sound of a very neutral and revealing and much modded h/amp. It still does'nt have that many hours, perhaps 60-70 but whatever type of music I play has more air, is more relaxed, the sound is just a little warmer but in a natural way with no loss of detail.

I have to say that it is OTT for a h/amp but as I intend to order the power equivalent of the PH12, namely the PH32 this is where it will be used. Sadly Yarbo don't make a less beafy power cable more suited to h/amps or CDPs.

I now would never use sheilded i/cs  but power cords carry a lot of juice and sheilding the conductors from each other and sheilding the whole makes a lot of sense. I am about to order a balanced power supply, this is what recording studios use. A BPS cancels out noise so there's a good chance that this Yarbo cable will perform even better when fed juice from it.

Supposedly Yarbo is a German company that manufactures in China and is based in Hong Kong because the English is not perfect I have my doubts but not about the product,it is extremely well made and I don't know of any other commercial offering that (a) sheilds the individual conductor bundles and double sheilds  all of them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back