It's Cherry Blossom (Hanami) season in Japan.
Apr 3, 2011 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7
Once a year in Japan, the cherry trees bloom, starting in the south of the country and slowly moving north. During this time, people have one, or at best two weekends in which the weather is good enough to have a picnic in the local parks, which are full of these trees.  It's rather hard to imagine having a picnic under what amounts to a pink roof of flowers above you, but that is what it amounts to.  When I lived in Tokyo, the parks were so full there wasn't a spare square meter (or foot) in which to sit down.  You had to get there early to get a spot.  Every year it would be someone's duty to get to the local park at 9am on a Saturday or Sunday and find a place, to which they'd direct others using their cell phones.  Lots of beer and food was consumed and everyone had a good time. Many companies have parties for new recruits who had begun working in April.

This year I decided to upgrade my Nikon D80 to something better, which, after some research, ended up being a D7000.  Today I took a few shots of my father-in-law's cherry tree, for fun. 

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #3 of 7
I studied in Japan for almost a year and I enjoyed the hanami very much.
I had travelled from Kobe (my training center) up all the way to Sapporo to enjoy the cherry blossom
The cherry blossom on different parts of Japan were somewhat different but all of them were beautiful.

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 7
These are absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing Currawong. I am sure it will bring some joy in spite of the tragedy that has happened so recently
frown.gif

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 7
More from the park which I took today. My local park doesn't have the density of trees like some of the other parks here, but it's enough to give you an idea. 

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 7
Those are beautiful! I've seen them in Washington DC, but have always wanted to experience them in Japan. Sooner or later, I need to get over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back