It's been many months and I still can't decide on a pair, help?
Aug 10, 2011 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

GeneralSmirnoff

100+ Head-Fier
So it's been many months since I returned my Sony MDR-7506 headphone since they sounded very flat and I still can't decide on a good pair of headphones.

I have decided to lower my budget since I'm short on money but I still want to make a worthy investment. My budget is now around $50. I am looking for circumaural and closed headphone that will be worn very often and will be used to listen to a wide variety of electronic music as well as using them for gaming so the headphones have to have a very strong low end. I will not be using these headphones for studio use or anything like that, I want them to be fun and enjoyable to listen to. i really like the comfort of the HD 555's due to the ear cup size and the cloth pads but the open design, price tag, and lack in bass is a major turn off. The headphones will be worn outside (not mainly outside, however I do get tired of the sound signature of my IEM's) so headphones like the JVC HARX700 are out of the question. 

I have been looking at all the low end Sennheiser's but with so many headphone to choose from, I feel like I am just introduced to the high-end audio side of the world. 

EDIT: I am not looking for headphones that have overpowering bass that will make your head shake, I'm just looking for headphones with more bass than a pair of neutral balanced headphones. 

Headphones that look like they fit my needs:
-Sennheiser HD 203's (201's and 202's are also an option but out of the 3 I've read these have the best bass)
-Sennheiser HD 428's (I can get these for $30)
-Sony XB500

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 9
I don't want an extremely powerful low end, just one that obviously does not make my music sound flat and makes my gaming experience I whole lot better. Other than the bass on the XB500 (Which I've read is for extreme bass heads and may be overpowering) it does not fit all my criteria, but thanks for the suggestion!

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 9
Check out the Denon AH-D2000.

I had a pair and they performed great.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 9
Hmm, for your budget range and intended use, the HD428 looks like your best option.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
I don't want an extremely powerful low end, just one that obviously does not make my music sound flat and makes my gaming experience I whole lot better. Other than the bass on the XB500 (Which I've read is for extreme bass heads and may be overpowering) it does not fit all my criteria, but thanks for the suggestion!

I have the XB500, I've had the HD428/448, and I have an Ultrasone Pro 900.

I can tell you that I sold the HD428/448 and kept the XB500. The XB500 with minor EQ changes is an exceptional headphone for it's cost. Blows the HD448 out of the water in listening and even comfort. I EQ'd up the mids/highs and reduced the mid-bass in the EQ and the headphone performs like some of my more expensive headphones. It's the only reason I kept the little guy, it's just so good for it's cost and benefits EQ changes big time. I was floored when I EQ'd it the first time. Thought I had a different headphone on.

Here's what I did on my EQ for the XB500:

And honestly, it handles what my Pro 900's handle. Pro 900 is more refined and tight. But the XB500 for the cost is amazing if you just take a moment to EQ it to your liking and bring up the mids/highs a bump. It's a whole new headphone.

But hey, it's $50 new, shipped. If you don't like it, it'll sell immediately around here.

Here's how they look worn (they're not as silly as the bigger ones like the 700/1000):

Food for thought. And yea, I set down my SRH940's just for that, hah. So good day to you sir.

Very best,

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Thanks for the epic post but for some reason I'm still not convinced, I honestly don't know why. Anyways, I'm still considering getting the Sony's. Thanks for the help!

Heya,

No prob. Just whatever you do, avoid the HD428/448. You want something comfortable. They're not it. They're flimsy and feel like cardboard on your ears. They have a good sound mind, but the build quality is just not something I could stand to keep. They have no grip, so they flop around on your head too. Anyhow, just my experience with them.

As an alternative, check out the Sony V6's and Sony ZX500/700's.

Headphones.com has 15% discount and free shipping for HeadFi members this month. Check it out. Link and info for the discount here.

Sony V6 - $76 normally, $65 with discount shipped.
Sony ZX500 - $50 normally, $42 with discount shipped.

Others to look at:

AKG K77
Koss Pro3AAT
AudioTechnica M20

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back