It's been awhile since I've been on here...
May 2, 2009 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ChoosexYourxFate

New Head-Fier
I think my old username was Ryantheking07. Anyway, I was the one who was looking for IEM's and couldn't settle on one pair. A few months ago I got the Ultimate Ear's for kid's IEM's for Christmas, and I must say...these things are amazing. The guy from the store told my mom that these were like a pair of 300 dollar IEM's but all for 45 dollar's. I urge you to check them out, you won't go wrong (unless you like losing your hearing because excessive volumes and sound pressure
wink_face.gif
). Ultimate Ears Loud Enough Earphones (plum) Headphone reviews - CNET Reviews

In my honest opinion, they're just as good, if not better than the Creative EP 630's, but without the high SP level.

May 2, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoosexYourxFate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol...Okay, so maybe I was the guy who kept looking for IEM's that didn't have a high SP level, because I didn't want to blow my eardrums out.

Yeah... still an issue. Then again, I've only been here 2 months.

May 3, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Lol...Okay, so maybe I was the guy who kept looking for IEM's that didn't have a high SP level, because I didn't want to blow my eardrums out.

What happens to the volume control on your source?

May 3, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 16
Nothing. It's just that I've read high SPL's can be damaging. So I had looked for an IEM with good sound and a low SPL level. Which I believe the UE's for Kids are about 80 SPL. Instead of like 105 +, like most IEM's are. I listen to my Ipod/Mp3 player a lot so..

May 3, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 16
What I like is that purple case... where can I get one of those? lol

May 3, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 16
LOL $300 IEM for $50 ........typical sales guy; they look cool, but dont look like more than what they cost. and UE would be stoopid to do such a thing even if they could.

al the same, welcome back..errmmm... whoever you were
tongue.gif

May 3, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Nothing. It's just that I've read high SPL's can be damaging. So I had looked for an IEM with good sound and a low SPL level. Which I believe the UE's for Kids are about 80 SPL. Instead of like 105 +, like most IEM's are. I listen to my Ipod/Mp3 player a lot so..

You misunderstand what those SPL rating mean. SPL rating is measured under a specific perimeters (usually 1kHz @ 1mW of power). This means if you change the perimeters (like giving the headphone more than 1mW of power), you change the SPL it produces. Thus SPL rating only gives you the relative loudness of each headphone when you feed them with same source (same power), but not the absolute maximum loudness that headphones are capable of producing. For example, a 105dB SPL/mW rated headphone with 0.5mW of power will be quieter than a 85dB SPL/mW rated headphone with 1.5mW of power.

In short, if you don't turn down the volume, don't expect those UE earphone to save your hearing. Same principle applies to car: Just because you buy a small car instead of a sport car doesn't mean you won't get hurt when you are speeding all the time. Safe driving practice (listening volume) is more effective at keeping you out of harm's way.

May 3, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

x3 on keeping the volume low. Any headphone can be safe at decent volume levels and also can be dangerous at at excessive volume. As long as you are using an IEM(for isolation if you're somewhere very noisy) and not blasting music at insanely loud levels through the IEM, you should be fine.

May 8, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 16
Good to see you again Nick^. As for the whole SPL confusion with me apparently..Blame OSHA on that, when I looked at their website..>_>. Unless, their facts are presented as if a user has a high volume/normal and not low?...What I mean is, they're saying you should only listen to IEM's with a high SPL for a certain number of hours, depending on what that level is. Say 102 = 2 hours, 95 = 5 hours, etc. With my UE's for kids IEM's, the volume bar on my Ipod has to be raised about an inch or two, to get a good listening volume, if I turn the volume down to where the blue bar is not visible, you can't hear anything. That's not the case with my EP 630's, where I could leave the volume bar all the way down, and still here it as if it was turned up a little.
<br>
"Quote: OSHA has established the following noise exposure limits:
YOU SHOULD NEVER BE EXPOSED TO SOUND PRESSURE LEVELS ABOVE 115 dB(A).
For more information visit the OSHA website at Occupational Safety and Health Administration - OSHA HOME PAGE.
The foregoing OSHA exposure levels should be considered maximum
limits. Compliance with the OSHA limits will not provide you with
protection from potential hearing loss. Accordingly, we recommend
never exceeding 50% of the permitted volume on your audio playing
device and limiting your use of headphones to durations of one hour or
less per day. Decibel levels of 85 dB(A) are dangerous to your hearing
and may cause hearing loss.
Do not use these earphones in any environment where a failure to
hear surrounding sounds could be dangerous. In no way should these
earphones be used while driving a car, biking, walking or operating
machinery.
Do not submerge or expose the earphones to water (see page 15 for