It's been a long road, but finally... HE60
Mar 3, 2006 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

Carl

Headphoneus Supremus
Well it took forever (actually less than a month) to get these back from Sennheiser, but they're finally here.

What amazingly rich sound.
What amazingly poor looks.

Sound wise, I've never heard anything better. I'm forcing myself to start with my MP3s and work my way up so I can appriciate the journey. The bass is just perfect. Prehaps a little more treble extention wouldn't have gone amiss, but otherwise great. They make W5000s sound coloured by comparision.

But the looks, or dear Sennheiser. They don't look like $1800 (retail) headphones in person, not even $180 ones. More like $100 ones. Cheap plastic everywhere. The metal wobbles precariously if you wiggle it. The cable is one of the thinnest I've seen in a high end headphone. The headband is way too narrow, the pads feel like polystyrine, not valour and leather over foam. Ugh.

The biggest gripe I have with them isn't that, though. The cable offers almost no electrical insulation. I can feel the electricity flowing through them, especially on bass thumps and the like. And it's pretty unpleasent and dear I say distracting having that "I'm standing next to a power pylon" feeling simply to listen to headphones. I wonder if a few layers of electrical insulation tape will help fix that?

Sound wise though, simply exquisite.

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 55
Get Larry to recable them for you?
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 55
Quote:

I can feel the electricity flowing through them

That can't be right
basshead.gif
eek.gif
... there isn't any point in recabling unless the stock cable is damaged.

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #5 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
What amazingly rich sound.
What amazingly poor looks.

Funny, mine came with wood, but the pads and cable needed replacing
tongue.gif
Congrats on your new cans!

60b.jpg

No, I don't offer mods for these in case anyone was even thinking of emailing...

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 55
It should get something like that done to mine. Get the looks matching the sound. Oh well.

Don't suppose you could make me a well-sheilded cable for these, could you Larry? Something thicker than a pine tree.

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 55
I guess no can on earth offers a perfect 10 on every count. Still we tend to look at the shortcomings mostly. Why do we keep doing that - why do we inflict this pain on ourselves?
plainface.gif

LOL, I suppose I am proposing "Head-Fiers Anonymous". Jude - can we have our own forum please?
icon10.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
I guess no can on earth offers a perfect 10 on every count. Still we tend to look at the shortcomings mostly. Why do we keep doing that - why do we inflict this pain on ourselves?
plainface.gif

LOL, I suppose I am proposing "Head-Fiers Anonymous". Jude - can we have our own forum please?
icon10.gif

Buying and selling. We inflict the pain on ourselves in order to justify the real kick which is buying and selling. At least that is my sickness, I'm starting to discover..

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Buying and selling. We inflict the pain on ourselves in order to justify the real kick which is buying and selling. At least that is my sickness, I'm starting to discover..

Is it really? That would mean you're more interested in toying with the device, admiring its substantial build quality, cosmetics and haptics, until you get bored of it, rather than admiring its abilities to transcend your music to an unheard-of level of quality.

Although my head-fi journey is much shorter and had less turnover than other's here, the sheer number of possible setups and constant upgrades is becoming overwhelming to me. I am trying to accept that I have a fine little system as it stands and should stick to, maybe mod, what I already own, rather than give in to curiosity and buy more redundant equipment.

When I started out , head-fi used to be all about filtering down a wealth of information and being able to single out the must-have products. With so many great amps being released nowadays, choices are actually harder than they used to be.

Really, while I immensely enjoy the nice exchanges here, head-fi has become more of a curse than a blessing as of late.

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
The cable is one of the thinnest I've seen in a high end headphone. The headband is way too narrow, the pads feel like polystyrine, not valour and leather over foam. Ugh.

The HE-90 uses the same cable. The headband is the same size as the HD-650, and you can use the HD-650 headband pad for increased comfort and durability. I happen to like the HE-60 earpads a lot.

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
Really, while I immensely enjoy the nice exchanges here, head-fi has become more of a curse than a blessing as of late.

Welcome to the club.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #14 of 55
I never felt my HE60's were cheap or ugly. They're pretty plain looking but I do like the grill...But Larry's HE60's look sweet. Maybe one day in the future i'll splurge and upgrade mine to some nifty dark woodied cups.

Mar 4, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #15 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
“They don't look like $1800 (retail)”

They shouldn’t since they retailed for $795 when they were commercially available.

Sorry, I was meaning MSRP. When we say "retail" in New Zealand we usually mean "full price", and I sometime s forget the American lingo is a bit different. No matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back