It's a Sad Day
Jan 1, 2013 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Blotto80

100+ Head-Fier
Packing up my HD650s to ship them out for sale in the morning. I can't help but feel like I'm breaking up with a good friend.  It's weird, I'm constantly buying, selling, and upgrading my electronics and gadgets but I only ever feel an emotional attachment to speakers and headphones. Every time I've upgraded my main cans, I've felt this way...... Oh well, I'm sure I'll get over it when my HE-400s show up.
Does any one else get this way with their headphones?

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 7
Well, the way I look at it is that, by selling, you're helping another Head-fi'er with their 
addiction  hobby.

But I do end up feeling a bit attached to headphones.  They are such intimate partners
in the sonic journey -- always willing to physically caress and aurally comfort.

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 7
Well, the way I look at it is that, by selling, you're helping another Head-fi'er with their 
addiction  hobby.

But I do end up feeling a bit attached to headphones.  They are such intimate partners
in the sonic journey -- always willing to physically caress and aurally comfort.

Very well said. I think part of it, at least for me, when it comes to changing headphones or speakers is that they are less "gadgets" (like a computer) and more "fixtures" like a couch or table - they have more permanency to them, and I think it's the result of how we interact with them.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 7
I just started out in this hobby about 3-4 months ago,  my first true pair of audiophile headphones were my Grado 323is, Besides the cans I use to monitor while doing vocals in my vocal booth(Sony MDRV6, Shure Srh840, and my long gone Ultraphones 7506's), When I sold my other cans I just mentioned I never really felt anything, nothing at all, It was more like Oh well they need to be replaced now get the hell out of here, but last week when I sold my 323si's omg and came down to having to ship them man..It felt like I was losing a partner, a child, something more than just a object or instrument of my own, my girl was like well just keep them and forget about your Shure SRH 1840's your about to get, But I knew deep inside the only way to try something new for myself was to let go of a old friend and make room and welcome in a new one...yeah... Almost like when you break up with a girl.
ph34r.gif

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 7
I have given all my previous headphones away to friends, although I tried to sell them to friends for half off, but everyone is always like "I wish I had money".  I wasted a lot of money on headphones last year, but now I'm starting to finally slow down.  It doesn't bother me letting them go as I don't get attached to anything that's made in China.  Also, I now am near a store where I can hear the majority of headphones out there, so I don't have to balls it and buy without hearing a headphone (unless it's new).

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 7
Everything I've owned is still with me, whether working or not, and I try not to upgrade until my existing setup really cannot cut it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back