itouch 4G + EQu /Thinking of buying it.
Jan 30, 2011 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

ExpatinJapan

Headphoneus Supremus

I am thinking of my next purchase and have my eyes on the new 32gb/ 64gb itouch 4G.

This would be used with UE-TF10 IEMS and ATH-ESW9, plus LOD and ibasso T3.

Anyone have any experience with the itouch 4G, and either of the apps EQu or Equalizer.

*I am not really interested in HM-602/801, cowon (due to reported mac problems), sansa etc.
*I have the 5G ipod video with rockbox, and have compared it with the iphone 3G and do wonder whether the itouch 4G is a step up in sound quality.

In the past many hi-fiers have been very helpful in assisting me with my choices.
Any responses are welcome, thanks.

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 43
I have the Touch 4G 32GB, and I have both EQu and Equalizer. I think it is a great combo......those EQ apps mean that any headphone you plug in, you can find the right sound. However, I can only speak about the headphone-out sound quality.....I have no LOD. Given the current releases of the two EQ apps, right now I think I would go for the Equalizer app if I was choosing just one, but either one works well.

Equalizer gives you a totally customizable 7-band EQ.Screenshot of the App store page below....

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #4 of 43
 I have the 4g Touch also.  Mine is hooked up to the FiiO E7 using one of ALO Audio's LODs.  I downloaded one of the equalization apps but I don't use it.  I prefer to leave the sound alone at this point.

I also have a Cowon D2+ and its SQ is really superb.  If one likes to equalize the sound, I think Cowon is the way to go.  By the way, the Cowon has plenty of oooomph to power my Senn HD 600s.  The E7 and the IPod can barely power the Senns, even with the E7 on maximum volume.

Jan 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 43
ExpatinJapan, why wouldn't a Sansa work?

I doubt the 4G would be anything but a step down in sound quality. The 5G rockboxed with an LOD is the best sound you can get with an iPod as far as I know.

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 43

Quote:
ExpatinJapan, why wouldn't a Sansa work?

I doubt the 4G would be anything but a step down in sound quality. The 5G rockboxed with an LOD is the best sound you can get with an iPod as far as I know.

I'd put the 4G Touch with one of those two EQ apps I referenced in my prior post up against a rockboxed 5G Video any day.

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 43

Quote:
I'd put the 4G Touch with one of those two EQ apps I referenced in my prior post up against a rockboxed 5G Video any day.

You've heard both? I've never seen anyone claim a Touch having better/equal sound than a Video, in fact I've seen the opposite several times. (this is unequalized)

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 43

Quote:

Quote:

You've heard both? I've never seen anyone claim a Touch having better/equal sound than a Video, in fact I've seen the opposite several times. (this is unequalized)

Well, you mentioned Rockbox....not much point in rockboxing if you're not going to use the EQ, and the OP was asking about the EQu app after all, and they do have a rockboxed 5G.

In regards to your question, without EQ, 5G Video did sound a little better than a Touch 2G to me when I compared them.

I think the 4G Touch without EQ sounds a little better than the 2G Touch did without EQ, but that's going from memory....been a little while since I heard that 2G Touch. When I said I would put the 4G with EQ app up against the rockboxed 5G, I was assuming EQ use on both. I don't have access to that 5G anymore to do a comparo with, but I think it would be a clear victory for the Touch with EQ, and a close battle without EQ.

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 43
I get what you're saying now, you're right the thread topic should remain on equalized sound. I was assuming that the difference between an unequalized Video vs Touch would be the same difference between the two equalized. In that case, I have yet to hear an opinion from someone who can compare the equalizer app with a Rockboxed Video... Not that I don't trust your opinions, but I wouldn't really trust any comparison by memory, especially when it comes to sound.

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 43
In my experience the new Touch 4g sounded noticeably better than the 2g touch. The 2g touch was noticeably a step down from the S:Flo2/601 but the 4g touch is on par. 

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #11 of 43

Thank you. This is getting interesting.
Now I do have my video ipod 5G rockbox, but more often than not don`t use it (rockbox) much due to the battery overuse issue (I did purchase and install a new battery recently).
I think I did mention I tried my 5g ipod next to my wifes 3G iphone (with ibassoT3 amp) and the 5g came out on top.

I already have a standard cellphone and have no interest in getting an iphone 4.

In Japan large electric stores portable sources and headphones/buds/IEMs are all on open display able to be tried out. The problem for me is that I can take my 
IEMs, headphones and try out sources BUT the music on them is not always quality music to get a sense of the players ability, and of course no EQu/equalizer app on the itouch4G.

Yeah, I am not totally closing the door on a Cowon or Sansa - but am interested in the itouch4G mostly.

I want a rich deep sound, able to watch some movies (AVI), play some games, use a bit of wifi perhaps, and equalize. 

Thank you all again, keep em coming.

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 43

Quote:

Thank you. This is getting interesting.
Now I do have my video ipod 5G rockbox, but more often than not don`t use it (rockbox) much due to the battery overuse issue (I did purchase and install a new battery recently).
I think I did mention I tried my 5g ipod next to my wifes 3G iphone (with ibassoT3 amp) and the 5g came out on top.

I already have a standard cellphone and have no interest in getting an iphone 4.

In Japan large electric stores portable sources and headphones/buds/IEMs are all on open display able to be tried out. The problem for me is that I can take my 
IEMs, headphones and try out sources BUT the music on them is not always quality music to get a sense of the players ability, and of course no EQu/equalizer app on the itouch4G.

Yeah, I am not totally closing the door on a Cowon or Sansa - but am interested in the itouch4G mostly.

I want a rich deep sound, able to watch some movies (AVI), play some games, use a bit of wifi perhaps, and equalize. 

Thank you all again, keep em coming.

You can certainly get that sound with the Touch 4G and one of the EQ apps. As far as AVI movies, I think you'd need to convert them to mp4. The retina display is quite good.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #13 of 43

sounds good, I had better check video codecs more. I have a convertor program so I am set.

A friend bought a Cowon X7? - so when I catch up next I will give it a spin, hopefully he has the new iphone 4 too, so can check them both out.

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #14 of 43

Quote:

sounds good, I had better check video codecs more. I have a convertor program so I am set.

A friend bought a Cowon X7? - so when I catch up next I will give it a spin, hopefully he has the new iphone 4 too, so can check them both out.

I converted a DVD to H.264, 1280x720 picture size...incredibly sharp and clear for the size of the screen.
I've never seen a video on a Cowon J3 or S9, their screens are supposed to be very nice too....but they have no wifi.

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #15 of 43
Achmedisdead - thanks so much!

I was actually getting ready to sell my Touch because I was so disappointed in the SQ - especially coming recently from a Cowon iAudio7.  After reading your post, I installed the Equalizer app - and it's like a breath of fresh air!  Loving this now!  Having some fun setting it up too.  Do you know anyone who has tips on the best eq settings? I'm trying to be very gentle with tweaking it (less is more) - and just adding a very small amount to the mid and upper ranges.

Do you think it is worth amping the touch (thinking fiio e7) - I'd only be driving my SE420's and shortly getting the SRH840's.

Have to admit at the moment (now that I have control of the eq), it sounds pretty spectacular unamped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back