*******it Shure
Sep 27, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #16 of 29
honestly, you're sticking a couple of things into a body cavity! of course, something might get stuck, though its not as entertaining as getting something else suck somewhere else. The sleeves are secured by the friction between the sleeve and the shaft of the phone.

I've wore my e4's with shure's black foamies in some hot environments where it definitely got icky on the insides of the ear canal but didn't have any issues when I gave a little twist.

I have had the tip of a q-tip come off when cleaning out my ear canal.

Took a few deep breaths to quell the panic, steady my hand and fish it out armed with a pair of tweezers.

Sep 27, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #17 of 29
haha.. Come on this is humorous! Hope you get fixed up though
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #18 of 29
Yeah I've had Shure sleeves stuck in my ears before, it's not pleasant. Just don't panic and gently pull them out.

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #19 of 29
I bet the soundstage is really good.

(Ok I'm kidding, hope it comes out fine.)

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though I haven't had this happen to me, I noticed that the Shure tips I'm using on the ER-6is tend to 'want' to stay in my ears but thankfully twisting around while pulling out does the trick. I wouldn't want to experience what you did though and I certainly hope ensuring reasonably dry ear canals will help in that.

Cheers!

Edit: Actually, someone in the office today roughly pulled off my earbud just to grab my attention. I'll need to warn her NEVER to do that again, in case she does that when I'm wearing IEMs.

The person in your office is a ****.

Sep 27, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #21 of 29
Update: I'm fine. Thanks for all the good wishes. It was a huge annoyance, though, and I'm never using that damned headphone again.

I've been using high end audio equipment and headphones for many years, and this has to be the first time this hobby has necessitated a visit to a doctor.

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update: I'm fine. Thanks for all the good wishes. It was a huge annoyance, though, and I'm never using that damned headphone again.

I've been using high end audio equipment and headphones for many years, and this has to be the first time this hobby has necessitated a visit to a doctor.

Good to hear happy ending. The scotch tape shim around the IEM's barrel will hold tips on pretty securely, and Ety's and E500 have raised parts on the barrel as well.

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #24 of 29
All it takes is a small amount of residual moisture in your ear canal to make a complete seal with the soft rubber of the IEM tip for this type of thing to happen.

Shure even has instructions for slowly twisting the earbuds as you remove them to prevent this from occurring.

I'm not sure what more they can do as a manufacturer to prevent this sort of thing. I suppose they could engineer a special locking eartip that can't become detached... but doing so would overly complicate being able to swap out tips or use tips from other manufacturers.

In any event, glad you're ok, the same thing could have happened with virtually any brand IEM.

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #25 of 29
Hurray for happy endings!
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev /img/forum/go_quote.gif

glad everything worked out for you..

I wouldn't blame the headphones, it seems you need to Learn how to Twist them out..not pull. if you can or want turn them a few times back and forth, but this really is not needed. The ear tips where only doing their job at sealing the canal, if anything it shows that you had one hell of a seal!

Lot's of older people don't like to use computers and they blame them for anything that goes wrong, computer only is what it is..its up the the user to know how to work the damn thing..
tongue.gif

Listen to Chubby Checker...Twist!!!

Sep 27, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckypictures /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The person in your office is a ****.

Exactly my thought when the earbud was roughly pulled off my ear (and thus interrupting the music rhythm I was grooving to). But the trouble is, she was offering me a cake she brought to work and it was delicious. Talk about awkward.

Sep 28, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #29 of 29
surely what you did is user error, the tips for shures are some of the toughest to come off in my experience so im suprised you have not had the problem before.

anyway hope all goes well, at least your hearing in the left ear is saved for another day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back