It Hath Arrived : Alessandro MS-1
Jun 24, 2006 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Wolfstan

New Head-Fier
I'm listening to it right now, after fiddling with Creative's EQ and diagnostic settings.

I noticed what most owners of this phone say; it has quite honest sound. I'm a headphone noob, but I can hear that the sound is very analytical with no one presence overtaking another. Even on bass-instensive sounds, the bass doesn't kick me in the face... holy smokes it's so good to my ears. At first, when I listened to some Metal, at certain points I braced myself for the kidney-busting guitar shredding I used to listen to on my speakers. But my "shellshock" was without merit; the shredding came on stronger, clearer than it did on my speakers.

I have yet to game or watch vids with them, but as of now I'm a believer. These phones were certainly worth the 99 bucks!

Jun 24, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 30
Yes they are (worth 99 bucks).
Wait till you get some burn-in time behind them. You might also want to check some threads on different pads.

Take care, Ed.

Jun 24, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 30
Those are fine headphones for entry into this hobby. I still kind of wish I still had my Alessandros. Congrats though and enjoy them.

Jun 24, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 30
Welcome to the club! Yea overall I see these as a steal at $99. Try some different pads if you get the chance. Senn 414 pads are cheap and you cna then just quarter mod them. THey dont' necessarily look pretty but who cares when the sound is so good. Are you amping them? Amp isn't necessary but definitely takes that good sound and makes it all that much better. ASIO out on the EMU 0404 + pimeta + MS1s with 414 pads = musical heaven (well at least until I get my RS2s).

Jun 25, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 30
Yes! Definitely reversed. I can't believe I even forgot to mention that.
eek.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 30
i'm (hopefully) about to receive two pairs of hd414 pads from sennheiser. but the word "reversed" means a lot here at headfi

what does reversed 414 pads mean? do you simply flip em inside out?
sorry for my noob question, but i want to be sure

Jun 25, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
i'm (hopefully) about to receive two pairs of hd414 pads from sennheiser. but the word "reversed" means a lot here at headfi

what does reversed 414 pads mean? do you simply flip em inside out?
sorry for my noob question, but i want to be sure

Now I don't know whether to go MS-1 or SR-225!!
frown.gif

But yeah, reversed is just inside-out
tongue.gif

Ah yeah, congrats on the new phones and (always wanted to say this):

[size=large]Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry About Your Wallet![/size]

Jun 25, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 30
What I like about "reversed" is that it allowed me to hide the ratty job I did when I enlarged the "quarter-sized" holes I punched with a socket but found that it was too small and I cut it larger with sissors and messed it up really bad!! So when I put the pads back on with the ratty holes I'd cut, now on the cans mounting diameter, they looked good again!!

.....and keeps my ears off of the screen!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaftedTwice
Now I don't know whether to go MS-1 or SR-225!!
frown.gif

But yeah, reversed is just inside-out
tongue.gif

Ah yeah, congrats on the new phones and (always wanted to say this):

[size=large]Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry About Your Wallet![/size]

Actually, reversed means a hole cut in the side that doesn't have a hole from the factory, then putting that side towards the drivers, so the original hole is to your ears.

Jun 25, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloomfire
Actually, reversed means a hole cut in the side that doesn't have a hole from the factory, then putting that side towards the drivers, so the original hole is to your ears.

thank you
how big should i make the hole?

i don't have a socket, so i'll be using a xacto knife and coin

Jun 25, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Predator88
Welcome to the club! Yea overall I see these as a steal at $99. Try some different pads if you get the chance. Senn 414 pads are cheap and you cna then just quarter mod them. THey dont' necessarily look pretty but who cares when the sound is so good. Are you amping them? Amp isn't necessary but definitely takes that good sound and makes it all that much better. ASIO out on the EMU 0404 + pimeta + MS1s with 414 pads = musical heaven (well at least until I get my RS2s).

I was trying to figure out where to get the 414 pads, but to no avail. I have no ideal what quarter modding is. I also have zero experience with amping, but I'm likely to get one so I could use it with my mp3 player. What's this EMU and pimeta combo of which you speak?
confused.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfstan
I was trying to figure out where to get the 414 pads, but to no avail. I have no ideal what quarter modding is. I also have zero experience with amping, but I'm likely to get one so I could use it with my mp3 player. What's this EMU and pimeta combo of which you speak?
confused.gif

Read my post for quarter modding. You can get the pads from Sennheiser's website.

Jun 25, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
thank you
how big should i make the hole?

i don't have a socket, so i'll be using a xacto knife and coin

Quarter sized or a little bigger. It's going to have to stretch to fit over your driver. Here's a pic from another member:

15men8n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back