It Hath Arrived : Alessandro MS-1
Jun 25, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #16 of 30
This may go against the grain, but get some bowl pads for the MS1, although I think that the MS1 are great phones in stock condition.
biggrin.gif

Congrats.

Jun 25, 2006 at 12:18 PM Post #17 of 30
This IS interesting!

For some reason the 414s have almost become the "standard" pads for MS-1(at least at Head-Fi)to replace the comfies.

I use them on the MS-1s m'self and luv 'em!!

But for some reason the bowls; which are used happily by many, if not Most of the Grado fans are almost AVOIDED in these discussions!!

I had commented that I would be trying the bowls that come with my next phones(MS2i or RS-2)but have almost resolved myself to staying with 414s just because of the comfort issue even before I TRY the bowls!!

Crazy, huh?

Ok.....so I tried to post this and the website's down. It's Sunday morning and the Wife and all the kids are still asleep, and I'm enjoying the Beatles on my MS-1s. This is mostly cool.

I could do some chores! Nah.
evil_smiley.gif

Anyway.......Yeah; MS2i or RS-2 is the question, at least for me.

......hey, I'm just killing time here!!

I had thought seriously about AKG K701s for my "final"phones, but I know so well about the sound of the MS-1s and how closely they match the tonal characteristis of my speakers, so it's kinda hard to go for an unknown like the AKGs.

.....it was the speakers I was trying to match, that got me here in the first place!

So, MS2i would certainly more closely match the MS-1s, and I do like the 2db more sensitive nature of the MS2, not as important to get an amp. I also think the aluminum of the MS2 make it a very attractive package.

But the wood and leather of the RS-2 are really calling to me! However, the tonal characteristcs are a relative unknown. I "think" that the RS-2 has a little less soundstage than MS2, with a darker presentation and may be even more foreward than MS2i, but that the overall SQ is an improvement over MS2i.

It's a tough choice.(I gotta do even More "searches")

What got me looking at the AKGs originally, was the notion that "Grado was not so good for classical." So I did some testing yesterday comparing my speakers to my cans on some varied classical stuff(which is well over half of my CD collection)and found that the soundstage and imaging on my MS-1s isn't a whole lot less than my speakers in the stereo mode.

It's not that the MS-1s do a poor job on classical, but that they do such a GREAT job on ROCK!!

So the MS-1s do a commendable job on all kinds of music other than the classical types that have a large variation of dynamic range. The MS-1s(and presumably ALL Grados' let in lots of outside noise which makes hearing the quietest passages somewhat difficult. But the SQ is just fine! The MS-1s Will do Classical!

......ok, so maybe I WOULD like to sit a few rows farther back.

But HEY! I could almost live with these MS-1s as a final set of cans! But just like all the rest of us here; we can't be satisfied with an entry-level of Anything! Gotta get something better!!

.......oh, the websites back up.....enough rambling.
tongue.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfstan
I was trying to figure out where to get the 414 pads, but to no avail. I have no ideal what quarter modding is. I also have zero experience with amping, but I'm likely to get one so I could use it with my mp3 player. What's this EMU and pimeta combo of which you speak?
confused.gif

The EMU 0404 is my soundcard I purchased to replace my Audigy 2. THe pimeta is a type of amp. I'd say go browse through the amps section and maybe ask some questions to try and learn about all things amps. Also stop by the computers as source forum to learn a thing or two about soundcard outputs.

Jun 25, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #19 of 30
I don't really get the whole HD414 pad thing. How are they different than stock pads with a hole in them? If I get any different pad for these, it would be bowls.

Jun 25, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #20 of 30
I like comfies. When I had my HF1's, I used the comfies from my SR60s.

They feel good on your head, and I like the boosted bass. Even on the HF1's.

Jun 25, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #21 of 30
What's different??

Why; they're YELLOW!!

Well, yeah. They are yellow.

But better yet they can mounted frontwards or reversed which adds another way to wear them that may add to the comfort level.

When mounted normally the pad material that the ear rests on is fairly thin and the pad is quite large in diameter.

When mounted reversed the pad material is thicker and the pad diameter is smaller and squishier and many find this smaller diameter to be more comfortable and add to the stability.

.....and they're easier to find if you absentmindedly set them down in a darkened computer room!

Jun 25, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #22 of 30
Bowls (although I've never heard them) will most likely give these a brighter sound. The stock comfies are perfectly functional and could probably be quarter modded, however I find that the senn pads offer a superior sound. I never really got good at the audiphile speak so you'll have better luck searching for topics that deal with grado pads. At first I wondered what the heck the difference could have been but it really can change the sound of the headphone. The senn pads (to me at least) are perfect for the MS1s, they let some good thumping bass through, don't sound overly bright, and aren't as "muddy" as with the comfies due to the opening over the driver. I'd say definitely at least buy a pair, mod them, and see how they sound. They don't cost alot, and if you really don't like them you can probably find someone on the FS forums that would be willing to buy them off you.

Jun 26, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #24 of 30
The last time I wore comfies on my MS-1s was back in March, but as I remember I prefered the texture of the unmodded 414s over the texture of the comfies.

The main thing I like about the 414s in the reversed mode is the fact that, for Me anyway, they feel more stable. They seem to grip the ears better than just sitting on the surface.

The comfies and unmodded Senns just seemed to slide all around when I moved and I needed the band to exert more pressure.

Of course that's just me. My ears may not be standard issue.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #25 of 30
Well if you're one of those people that finds grados uncomfortable then you may enjoy comfies more. I find the 414s more comfortable for the reasons stated above. It just stays right in place over my ear. The padding does offer a decent level of comfort. Nothing I'd ever want to fall asleep in but good enough. Also its fun when your friedns see these retroish looking headphones with bright yellow pads and are then blown away by how good they sound compared to their ibuds or sony v150s.

Jun 26, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #26 of 30
My experiences are similar to Predator's. My friends gawk at my MS-1s with yellow 414 pads but are blown away by the sound. They all have Ipods like I do and I always select a song on my Ipod they know well. When they listen their jaws drop and they start asking me questions. I'm slowly trying to convert them.

Take care, Ed.

Jun 26, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #27 of 30
I'll second the appearance comment!

I had an incident that happened to me when I went to the mailbox a couple months ago wearing my phones with the pretty yeller' pads.

A neighbor; an older gal who normally doesn't say much, actually said "Hi" to me!!

Hey! She's probably three or four years older than I!

It was pretty cool.
smily_headphones1.gif

......then again; I'm 62.
frown.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #28 of 30
Whereas nobody mentioned Todd's flats - I personally found them the best sounding after trying comfies, "nickel" modded comfies, bowls, reversed bowls, Senns, reversed Senns and even tried pads from AKG H140 Monitors.
Flats compared to bowls: the soundstage is narrower and sound is less bright, but bottom end is noticeably extended and really punchy. Good compromise is reversed bowls, but uncomfortable to wear (again, it could be just a shape of my ears). Oh, and both bowls and flats should be washed few times to soften them, they are much coarser than comfies. Senns are OK, but I found myself reaching for flats most of the time. Changing pads - after so much swapping, I can do it in 4 seconds flat now
biggrin.gif
. And it is true - each of them pads sound different - so it goes more like it: OK, let's listen to Ministry Psalm69, hmmm, yeah flats would be the best.. later... Kansas live (recorded with super deep bass), hmm, lets get unreversed bowls... and so goes on. Who said headfi life is easy?

Cheers

Jun 26, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #29 of 30
My next phones will come with bowls, so I know for sure that I will give them a try. I also expect that at sometime soon thereafter, I will also try the flats.

Don't know which pair will give the comfort and performance I'll be looking for considering the type of music I may be listening to at the time, but I fully expect that I may even do a little pad rolling while listening too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Grado is cool; choice is cool!!

Jun 26, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #30 of 30
Grado is cool; choice is cool!![/QUOTE said:
Therefore Grado is cool choice. Amen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back