Issues with IEMs
May 24, 2012 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

loki993

500+ Head-Fier
Ok so honestly I'm not sure how a feel about these, Ive always just not really liked them, but the thing is the ones Ive used have been the cheap ones that always come with your phone or mp3 player. I needed something a bit more portable and something easy to use at work so I picked up a pair of the Monoprice 8320 since they were so highly rated and cheap. I subsequently also got a pair of ibeats with my HTC Rezound when I got that as well. So 2 decent pairs of IEMS. I know not the best out there but better then most cheap stuff at least. 

Here is the problem I cant keep either of them in my ears to save my life. Ive tried all the different tips and I'm pretty sure Ive found the ones that "fit" but they still don't stay. The problem is when they're in right they actually sound pretty good. I love my bass and they do give a fair bit of that, considering the size, especially the beats. Problem is I get it for a bout 5 seconds until the slip out enough to lose that seal and then about 30 seconds after that they fall out. So its a constant battle of them slipping out and me pushing them back in, going from good sounding music to crappy over and over again. Now I did find that if I clip the wires to my shirt or something they will stay in better but they still fall out. Also god forbid I move..even a little. Something I would think you may want to do at some point with these.

So does anyone have an suggestions or things I can do to keep these in my ears? 

May 24, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 7
Tips are the most important bit, and there are a lot to try, different sizes and materials, for the 8320s the Comply TX-400 is a nice tip.

Are you inserting them correctly into your ears, this may seem like a stupid point, but if they are sillicone tips, try twisting them into your ear, while pulling up the top of your ear and having your mouth open.... also, wear the cables over your ear.

If your using foam tips, you must roll them between your fingers until flat, then immediately put them into your ears.

May 24, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Tips are the most important bit, and there are a lot to try, different sizes and materials, for the 8320s the Comply TX-400 is a nice tip.

Are you inserting them correctly into your ears, this may seem like a stupid point, but if they are silicone tips, try twisting them into your ear, while pulling up the top of your ear and having your mouth open.... also, wear the cables over your ear.

If your using foam tips, you must roll them between your fingers until flat, then immediately put them into your ears.

Yeah I don't know if I'm doing anything right to be totally honest. I haven't tried twisting them, but I can try. The ones are silicone, but it seems the issue may be is they're very flimsy. I know I saw a thread here where someone cut an ear[plug or something and put it inside the tip and said they fit better. So maybe I can try that. The Comply ones may be a good option too I can see the foam staying better,but Id like to try free/inexpensive options before I try that.  

May 24, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 7
Try inserting the IEM in correctly.  Many people do it incorrectly, and do need to learn how to put them in the right way.  Both Monster and Etymotic show good instructional videos on how to do this.  Links are below:
  1. Monster Cable
  2. Etymotic

Essentially, you have to lift the top of your ear, and pull up and out.  Then, if you have silicone tips, you twist and push your IEMs in.  It should look similar to a drilling motion.  Release the earlobe, then release the IEM.  You can adjust the position of the IEM if it's uncomfortable by lifting the earlobe again, and positioning the IEM appropriately.  If you get a vacuum effect (also called driver flex), reposition the IEM by breaking the seal (push the IEM up or down until the seal is broken), then release the IEM to recreate a seal.

For foam tips only, you have to compress them before you insert them.  Wait 10 seconds for them to expand in your ear, then you're set to go.

Test all tips using these methods of inserting.  They should fall out less often.  If all else fails, try wearing the IEMs over the ear by guiding the cable up and around the back of your ear.

May 25, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Try inserting the IEM in correctly.  Many people do it incorrectly, and do need to learn how to put them in the right way.  Both Monster and Etymotic show good instructional videos on how to do this.  Links are below:
  1. Monster Cable
  2. Etymotic

Essentially, you have to lift the top of your ear, and pull up and out.  Then, if you have silicone tips, you twist and push your IEMs in.  It should look similar to a drilling motion.  Release the earlobe, then release the IEM.  You can adjust the position of the IEM if it's uncomfortable by lifting the earlobe again, and positioning the IEM appropriately.  If you get a vacuum effect (also called driver flex), reposition the IEM by breaking the seal (push the IEM up or down until the seal is broken), then release the IEM to recreate a seal.

For foam tips only, you have to compress them before you insert them.  Wait 10 seconds for them to expand in your ear, then you're set to go.

Test all tips using these methods of inserting.  They should fall out less often.  If all else fails, try wearing the IEMs over the ear by guiding the cable up and around the back of your ear.

I will try that, I guess it never occurred to me that you had to insert them in a special way. I just kink of stick them in there. 

And Crystal Mackenzie can tell me whatever she wants too lol

May 25, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 7
poor insertion. The larger tips would slide out, but before I couldn't us the smaller ones because they wouldn't seal. If I do it right now I can use the smaller ones and they seal and stay much better now. Thanks.

I gotta say Im not a fan of Monster or Beats, but these things dont sound too bad if you ask me, especially for the price 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back