Issue with my RE0's - HELP!
Feb 5, 2012 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

durden

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. I have had my pair of Hifiman RE0's for a little over two years now. I have used them 4-5 days a week since they arrived at my doorstep and their sound has only gotten better over time...until yesterday.

I was at work and my left IEM began cutting out. The sound would decrease in volume and come back. Then it would cut out completely and come back. If I played with the IEM or toyed with the cord, it would stay at full volume for a while. That is until it cut out completely.

So...and ideas as to what went wrong? I have never dropped them, I keep them in a JBud's Samba case. They are always with me, never in a cold car or anything. I am literally the only person who has listened to them. A couple times, my iPod has fallen off my lap onto the floor and they were pulled out of my ears. Other than that, these are a prize possession and I take good care of them.

What can/should I do? Try to have them repaired? Buy a new set of IEM's? Buy new RE0's?

If you want to suggest new IEM's I listen to everything (classic rock, rock, metal, screamo, alternative, classical, acoustic, RnB, rap, country). That is why I chose the RE0's - because of their balance and ability to span the music spectrum. My limit would be less then $100.

So...HELP!

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 6
I will recommend to try something new like Etymotic HF5 are very detailed in mids and offers extended highs with good bass response(overall balanced, neutral and very detailed).

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 6
It seems to be a problem with the plug. My suggestion is cut off the plug and solder a new, better one. I don't know if you have any experience in soldering, if not either look aroung the forum or if you PM me I can give you the basics. You could just recable them altogether, but this would require opening the shells and soldering into the small drivers, which if done wrong might not end well. If all else fails or you don't have the patience to learn soldering and buy material you wouldn't use ever again, maybe get something new.

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 6
@ ZARIM, I was actually looking at the HF5's...throwing them into a pot for consideration. Was also looking at the MEElectronics A151-BK as a cheaper option. I've got my second child on the way and the wife isn't too keen on spending money we don't have. I've got about $70 in Amazon credits right now, so that seems to be what I'm looking at.

@LizardKing1, I wasn't sure if it was the housing on the bud itself or the plug. From what I have read, RE0's bought off of Amazon have had problems, specifically with the Left side cutting out. Considering I've had my RE0's for over 2 yrs and have over 1,000 hours of listening on them, I'm not sure what to think. I'll look into repairing them myself...and I may hit you up for some advice. Now I just need the time to do it...

Any other suggestions are VERY welcome...

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 6
Congratulations on your 2nd child!

You mentioned that when you moved it around the sound worked and then stopped working, like it sort of connected. That happens with deteriorated plugs. It might also be the driver that got disconnected. Still, a new plug is pretty easy to solder, easier than resoldering to the drivers. Give it a try.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 6
Mark this as yet another RE0 owner reporting shoddy craftsmanship.
Definitely something to the build quality. Hopefully Hifiman has improved the build quality in the latest batches.

I find the RE0 to be better than the HF5's. The RE0 is absolutely amazing period. For the price, it's astounding.
Factoring in the poor build quality brings them back down to earth.  

Dare I say, buy one of the higher end Hifiman models and expect slightly better sound quality but sturdier build quality?
Is this even true?

The sound of the RE0 is every bit as good as something as expensive as a Shure SE535 to my ear. Every single bit as good.
Would I pay more for a well-built REO? Yes, I would. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back