[Issue Resolved] Warning to Out of USA residents: Comply Foam shipping issues
Nov 14, 2010 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

sokolov91

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

Just though I would let you know I ordered 5 pairs of comply tips. The total came up to a ridiculous ~33$ thats right 33$ for foam + basic shipping to Canada.

Anyways, I really needed them so I ordered them.

Turns out they used 2$ prepaid shipping, and charged me over 10 USD for it.

So, they charge a pretty penny for the foam (which is ok, they have a monopoly I suppose) and then they charge me over 500% for shipping? WTH.

I emailed them at all the accounts I could find, as well as left a ticket on their site and was completely ignored.

I consider this an act of theft and dishonesty. I want my money back.

Its not the 10$, its the principal, and that I was entirely ignored.

Bad customer server, bad business practices. Be warned.

I guess that is where they find the cash to sponsor head-fi : ripping their customers off.

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 27
Yes, sadly it's true...people run a business to make money.

Don't take that the wrong way. I hate things like this myself too.

I have a postage provider where I can print postage on my computer with a label printer. They FORCE you to buy their labels and charge an arm and a leg for them and then when you want to get a new supply in, they charge you $20 postage for an item that's about 5oz and could be put into a $4.90 flat rate box. You buy generic labels to save a buck and they don't work. They'll even force sellers of generic labels off Ebay or at least try.

Lots of people just mark up shipping and I hate this. One time I even bought a tiny cable for my car's CD player and the ebay seller forced me to pay $20 for shipping on a $20 cable.

I don't mind buying foam ear pieces online, but shipping should be cheap. When UPS delievered mine they would not leave...FOAM at my door. Oh darn, someone will steal it! I had to drive over 15 minutes to pick it up and wait in line.

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 27
It's a common practice to ask more than the actual cost of shipping but it depends on the company and how they ship. Some companies actually have reasonable shipping prices but usually they ask more to cover the costs of shipping and then add more on top in case it comes out to be more expensive than expected and/or to make some profit on that as well. That is even more the case when they don't use the priority mail boxes that are in the post office. It does suck when they charge so much for something so small.

Also aren't there ebay sellers in Canada who sell the comply foam?

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 27
I understand a company has to have margins for profit and what not, and that they have to pay people to post these things and what not.

Bottom line, they are a company... they most likely have a deal on both shipping materials AND postage. I would have been able to ship them cheaper myself... this is not right.

I should not have to resort to a reseller to get better treatment... if anything I should get the best treatment from the company itself!!

Thanks for the advice about radio shack... I MIGHT check into it, but really I have no interest in a company that gouges their customers like this.

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 27
Complys suck anyways. I have about 4 unused pairs lying around from 2 pairs of UE headphones. They dirty up quickly, recess any treble when I listen to my music, increases the bass quantity (yet muddies it up also), are more uncomfortable than silicone tips and don't even isolate much more than silicone tips in my experiences.

Worst of all they cost $24 for 3 pairs here in Australia. Overated pieces of foam which probably cost around 5 cents to manufacture.

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #10 of 27
Last time I ordered 10 caps from Mouser (costing <$6), they charged me $24 just for oversea shipping because they can only ship it on the smaller box they have yet it is a box big enough for 500+ caps. Do I think Mouser can do a better job on shipping and save me some money by using a smaller packaging? Sure. Do I know the shipping is way too expensive before I paid for it? That's is a confirmed sure as well. Do I blame Mouser for overcharging me with a big, mostly empty box? No, I knew what I was paying and I paid it anyway because Mouser was the only company at the time that carried the caps I needed, and I would pay that much to get my project done at the time. As a buyer, you should have known what you are buying and whether the fee is reasonable to you or not before paying. There is a ripoff only when there is a hidden fee involved or you are not getting the item as described. In this case, I don't see how Comply is ripping you off. To my knowledge, Comply charges a flat fee on all international order, so going to India, China or Africa is the same price as to Canada. It is the way a company choose to do its business. If you don't like it, don't order it. Plus, they are not the only place that are selling their own foam. The only unfortunate part of you story is that you live in Canada (so close yet so far) If you are living in my country, the $11 shipping fee will be considered very reasonable. I have seen local resellers actually charging $12 for a pair of Comply, now that's a ripoff.

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #11 of 27
As if the short life time of Comply tips wasn't enough to turn you away from them. With a little work, there's almost nothing a set of Shure black foams won't fit on, and they'll certainly last longer and sound better.

Personally, I love the large biflanges on my RE0. They fit perfect, and I don't have to work at getting the foams on.

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 27

Quote:
Complys suck anyways. I have about 4 unused pairs lying around from 2 pairs of UE headphones. They dirty up quickly, recess any treble when I listen to my music, increases the bass quantity (yet muddies it up also), are more uncomfortable than silicone tips and don't even isolate much more than silicone tips in my experiences.

Worst of all they cost $24 for 3 pairs here in Australia. Overated pieces of foam which probably cost around 5 cents to manufacture.

Yep! Thats what pissed me off the most. They are severely overpriced... then they absolutely have their way with my rear end on the shipping... like what gives? I am not a charity and the fact NO ONE answered my emails or tickets pisses me off even more. Hopefully as a sponsor they will notice this and clean up their act, because they might as well be scammers.

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #14 of 27
Were the shipping and handling charges mentioned on their site when you checked out?  If so, the title of this thread, suggesting fraud, is inappropriate.

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
Were the shipping and handling charges mentioned on their site when you checked out?  If so, the title of this thread, suggesting fraud, is inappropriate.

oh it was listed and I paid what they asked for.

However, the postage mark on the package clearly indicates they asked for way over what they needed. Shipping should not factor into a products profit margin... that makes no sense and to do so, in my view is fraudulent.  If shipping cost 2$, I should pay 2$. Heck, 3$ if they have to pay someone to send it... its not like I am the only one on the face of the earth they were mailing to.

I do not remember if "handling" was mention, but we all know this term is laughable anyways.

Plus, I am hoping I will get some sort of response. It's not like I didn't every other route before kicking up a small stink here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back