Isone Pro - the best thing you could ever get for your headphones on your computer
Sep 15, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #241 of 963
Quote:
Is it like some magic setting that while you are turning the dial and you get to your exact head size the difference immediately WOWs you? Maybe my ears are not very tuned then, since I hear almost no difference when moving the headsize dial from one end to the other...

There is no "sound externalization magic and wow-factor". This is what the whole point is about. When you turn ear size and head size knobs, you do notice some small sonic and spatial differences but it's hard to say which settings are "better" or "more correct". Anyway, your ears become accustomed to any settings in several seconds and they seem to be as good as any other. However, the loss of detail and increased muddiness are something which you cannot get used to so easily.

In my opinion, we should wait until scientists will come up with some reliable way of measuring the individual anatomical differences of each person's ears and then using this 3D model to accurately simulate the sonic transformations happening in our pinnas and ear channels. Then we can hope to achieve some really convincing externalization of sound. Until then we are stuck with generalized lo-fi binaural approaches.

PS: I tried to find resonances in my own ears recently with SineGen and I found that my left ear and right ear have different resonant frequencies (7700 Hz right and 8400 Hz left). I hear how the volume rolls from one ear to another as I move the SineGen slider along the frequency axis. It's just an example to show how all ears are unique, even in the same person...

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #242 of 963

I've been switching between head-fit and Isone pro for the last 5 hours with my AD700's. They're both excellent plugins in their own right, I find head-fit tends to put you almost in the middle of the room with the band a few feet from the vocalist and instruments to my left and right with a reasonable amount of 3d depth. Isone pro creates a more focused & forward sounding sound stage as if you're standing a few meters back say observing from the entrance of the recording room which allows me to pick the location of instruments easier as opposed to the more immersive effect of head-fit.

The two different plugin effect are quite obvious when listening to Pink Floyd's - Pulse. With Isone pro enabled I can clearly distinguish the locations of the instruments and music in relation to the crowd due to the forward focused sound stage but then I switch to Head-fit and although I loose that almost 3d image of the instruments to a degree, I'm able to clearly hear the immensity of the crowd around all three angles of the stage. Especially right after you hear the fireworks being set off during the last minute of the album, in comparison  If I switch back to Isone pro I can clearly hear where the crowd is although  since the sound stage stays mostly within the headphones I find I'm not getting the same impression of size and depth that at times seems larger than my living room from head-fit.

OK, interesting! My main problem is that my brain hates dual mono really badly....and the lower the jitter, the worse it gets. It doesn't understand why the sound is so natural...and yet not stereophonic
sfgto.gif

On my cd1k(same drivers as the cd3k), the SS was very colored and already living a life of its own...this phone has a very cavernous headstage and every instrument has a SS of its own...I found Isone Pro too colored and prefered head-fit by far.

But things have changed, and I'm now using a modded T50RP...its SS is hardly cavernous and its mids far more refined and neutral...I really need some life to be injected into my music to make it sound like genuine stereo to my brain.

I'm currently using ironmine's settings(on The Beatles "Revolver Sessions"), it sounds a big phasey to my ears but I'll try to finetune them...at least my brain doesn't seem to ring the alarm that my ears are malfunctioning anymore ^^

I will also try 112dB's plugin, I didn't like it on the cd1k...but at this point I really need a colored plugin to fool my brain. If head-fit had a "center channel" volume knob like 112dB's plugin, this might change.

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #243 of 963
I bought the Asus Xonar DX to try out it's Dolby Headphone function. It was horrible. When activated all the acters sound like they ar sitting inside a box. Other people has said the same. Then again others, like people in this thread, is very happy with DH. Therefore I thought I would try Isone- pro and see if it has the same problem. But when I try to activate it when watching a DVD (with J.River), I just get "Not authorized for this output". Whats wrong?

As long as I'm here: You who are happy with DH, have u noticed the box-effect? If not, what do u do? What equipment do u use? And what are the channel mixer u use with it?

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #244 of 963
For those of you who absolutely do not want any change in frequency response, you might want to try Redline Monitor instead. It's not as realistic as Isone Pro and it costs a lot more, but its frequency response is much more flat--essentially just a crossfeed with some controls, and without all the additional features that Isone Pro has. I have tested both with pink noise via spectrum analyzer and Isone Pro even with the additional features turned off and acting as a simple crossfeed, still introduces some color (mainly a sharper sound in general).

Here's my Redline Monitor setting for the most flat and natural sound:

But if you need Isone Pro's extra features and realistic simulation of acoustic space and speaker cabinets, then Redline Monitor does not have those.

Sep 25, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #245 of 963
redline monitor is modeled against an anechoic chamber, and yes it's much more expensive than Isone Pro...but after a few days of use, I'm really blown away by the SQ. It projects an amazingly natural sounding front channel and such an amazing 3D SS...w/o the hollowness/bloat of Isone Pro/DH.

I use 0dB(I like a loud front channel), 30%(my modded T50RP already has an uber-wide SS) and 0.2m(it makes my right ear happy to hear the FR change, mimicking the reflections against my pinnae)...killer plugin!
basshead.gif

Sep 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #246 of 963

Quote:
For those of you who absolutely do not want any change in frequency response, you might want to try Redline Monitor instead. It's not as realistic as Isone Pro and it costs a lot more, but its frequency response is much more flat--essentially just a crossfeed with some controls, and without all the additional features that Isone Pro has. I have tested both with pink noise via spectrum analyzer and Isone Pro even with the additional features turned off and acting as a simple crossfeed, still introduces some color (mainly a sharper sound in general).

we need to see those measurements eh!!

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #247 of 963

Quote:
we need to see those measurements eh!!

You can do the test yourself easily. Just use a spectrum analyzer (such as the freeware Voxengo SPAN) and put it into the end of your DSP chain and then play a pink wave (you can find them online to download). Make sure it's a pink wave, not white or brown.  Just turn Isone Pro and Redline Monitor on and off and observe the frequency response before and after and you'll see. Redline Monitor tilts the frequency response just a tiny little bit clock-wise overall, but it's very subtle, whereas Isone Pro adds a lot more coloration (though that's not necessarily a bad thing depending on what you're using it for).

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #248 of 963
HI 
just a nooby question : where did you find this plugin? 
I tried google, megaupload, jeroen's site, nothing. 
thanks.

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #252 of 963
the link works with me, can you describe your problem with it?
and yes, it has been discontinued.

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #254 of 963

Quote:
Quote:
the link works with me, can you describe your problem with it?
and yes, it has been discontinued.

Oh okay, i meant on the official site, not on the fileshare.

Thanks!

Is there a newer version of this?

I didn't find any newer version than this one. 

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #255 of 963
New Isone Pro out!

Quote:
Dear customer,

After more than one year of hard work, a complete re-write of the full
software stack and a full redesign of all core
algorithms and GUIs we are pleased to announce a new brand for VST
plugins: ToneBoosters!

As customer of Isone Pro you are eligible for a 50% discount on the
new ToneBoosters Isone plugin,
which is available for Mac and Windows.

Feel free to download an evaluation copy of ToneBoosters Isone. If you
like it, and decide to buy
this entirely rewritten plugin, you can enter the following coupon
code for a 50% discount: [my code] :wink:
This coupon is only valid for Isone, not for any other ToneBoosters
plugin and will expire on January 31, 2011.

Best regards,

Jeroen Breebaart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back