isolation
Jul 2, 2002 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with headphone isolation.

I had been using my portapros on the train for a while, and just dealing with the sound. One day I broke down and knew I just had to get closed phones, immediately. I went and bought the first closed cans I found, knowing I would quickly upgrade. I ended up getting the HD202. I was reasonably happy with the isolation. A couple weeks later I bought HD280s and was amazed at how much more noise they blocked out. A month or so later, I ended up getting Ety 4s and was once again amazed with the isolation compared to the 280s. I've been using the Etys for a few weeks now and have gotten quite used to them. Last night I listened to my 280s for a while while my wife was watching television. I was so used to the Etys, it did sound like the 280s were blocking ANY noise whatsoever. They seemed like open phones! Further, the isolation effects (e.g. breathing and stomping noises) seem a lot less with the Etys now then when I first started using them. I seem to be getting used to the isolation.

So, anyone else have a similar experience or am I just a freak?

Either way is okay with me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 3
Well, it's clear to me at least that you get practised with phones and compensate for their issues all the time.

I got a pair of ER-4Ps delivered from Headroom just today, and am very early in this process. I've seated them, I don't know about 20 times today, with varying levels of success. I find the white plugs incredibly uncomfortable, but couldn't get a decent seal with the foamies yet. I just got back from a walk with them on--I know this is a "if it hurts when you go like that" thing--and it was interesting...they sound great, but every footstep is like a mini-earthquake, and you hear both cord and serious wind microphonics. Some sort of wax cacophony is happening in my right ear, which often makes it all sound like liquid is pouring in and out of my ear too--yech. It's, well, eerie.

But the isolation when they're seated is as you say truly unrivalled. Cars go by, and you watch them move by silently as if you're tripping. It's kind of fun, actually.

I just hope they stop hurting as much as they do. Meanwhile, when they're seated, and I'm seated, and you get them sitting there just right...wow. What a great sound.

Jul 2, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 3
The only problem I had with my Ety's is that once I got use to the sounds from it, most of my other headphones sounded like crap.

I guess if your hearing is sensitive and you are easily distracted with outside noises, the Ety's makes a big difference.

My ears hurt for the first three weeks while wearing the Ety's. For the first week, my ears felt irritated and raw with increasing discomfort. After awhile, my ears got toughened up and I don't feel any discomfort anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back