isolation while traveling
Jun 13, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by onyxdr
I have two reservations about the Etys. First, the discussions in this and other fora about the problems getting a good seal make me wary.

I can understand that -- it can be a bit daunting at first. However, I think almost everyone can eventually get one, and once you figure out how, you're set
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Second, given my source, I wonder if the Etys aren't too much headphone for the kind of listening I'm doing. Will I really hear the difference when listening to ripped-at-160 mp3 files or watching a DVD movie (especially at 35000 feet)?

I just plugged a pair or ER-6 into my computer, and listed to some MP3s ripped at different bitrates. I can definitely tell the difference between 128k and 192k (I don't really have many at 160k). That said, when you're on a plane, the difference isn't going to be as apparent due to the noise factor -- while the ER-6 block out a lot of noise, what noise remains will at least provide a bit of "cover" for the crappier MP3s
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2002 at 1:58 PM Post #17 of 34
I just did a long trip (New York City to Melbourne, Australia) with Audiotechnica A100Ti phones. They are durable (titanium) and light and the isolation is good. Watching four movies in a row was comfortable on my ears if not my eyes. The only trouble is that they are not small, but if you take a laptop-sized bag and no laptop it is no big deal.

Jun 13, 2002 at 2:36 PM Post #18 of 34
aeberbach:

Where did you find those headphones? I can't seem to locate them in a quick web search (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places). ANy sense how they might compare to the Sennheiser HD208s?

Jun 13, 2002 at 3:09 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

aeberbach:

Where did you find those headphones? I can't seem to locate them in a quick web search (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places). ANy sense how they might compare to the Sennheiser HD208s?

Mmmmmm, Tasty.

Jun 13, 2002 at 3:19 PM Post #20 of 34
Okay, magicthyse, so there are the headphones all right, but I don't read Japanese so I can't tell whether I can order them from that site or not! Any idea where or how I might be able to purchase them? (Not that I've completely made a decision to do so, but they seem promising so I'd like to think about price and availability.)

Jun 13, 2002 at 4:30 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Okay, magicthyse, so there are the headphones all right, but I don't read Japanese so I can't tell whether I can order them from that site or not! Any idea where or how I might be able to purchase them? (Not that I've completely made a decision to do so, but they seem promising so I'd like to think about price and availability.)

I can't read Japanese either but they cost 33,000 yen - So I guess about $250. I have no idea where you can get them. I'd like to get my hands on one too... I think I'll have a chat with my local esoteric gear shop.

Jun 13, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #22 of 34
You can't get Audio Technica products in the US. But audiocubes.com imports. They have them for US$279.

Let us know how they sound. The specs look great (53mm drivers, 2W max input) and they're very unique looking.

kerelybonto

Jun 13, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #23 of 34
$279. Eeek. A little out of my price range right now, although they do look tremendously cool. I think I'll just try out the Sony EX-70s and the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros for isolation, and probably buy one of them. Unless someone has a better idea, given my situation (mp3s as a source, isolation and comfort key)?

Jun 13, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

$279. Eeek. A little out of my price range right now, although they do look tremendously cool. I think I'll just try out the Sony EX-70s and the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros for isolation, and probably buy one of them. Unless someone has a better idea, given my situation (mp3s as a source, isolation and comfort key)?

Yes, the ER-6
biggrin.gif
Seriously, I wouldn't bother with the EX-70, for either isolation or sound quality.

Jun 13, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #25 of 34
Still not sure I want to deal with the various hassles of the Etys -- including the possibility that I'll have to re-rip 12 gigs of mp3s, and max out my drive in doing so.
frown.gif
I'm sort of leaning towards the Sennheisers, actually, even though they're not as conveniently portable as a canalphone would be. But I need to try them out first, of course.

Should I have an amp to drive 'phones of this quality?

Jun 14, 2002 at 3:10 PM Post #26 of 34
onyxdr, I just got a pair of Ety ER-4P with a 4S adapter. Right now I listen mainly to 160 kbps mp3's on my Nomad Jukebox. They sound great. I'm still getting used to putting them in properly. That sould just be a matter of a couple of days of messing with them. However, once they're in, it is surprising how easy they are to listen to. Not fatiguing at all. Clear and detailed. I got the 4S adapter, which increases the detail quite a bit. The 4P alone is probably less sensitive to mp3 compression rate. Maybe I have a tin ear, but I did a quick comparison of a tune done at 256 kbps with the same tune done at 160 and did not notice much difference. I listen mainly to piano/bass/drum jazz trio stuff, which is fairly subtle. Sadly, I didn't listen to anything at 128.

Given my experience with the ER4, I would think the ER6 would be just fine for your application. The ER6 doesn't need an amp to be used with a portable. They are so small and sound so good. Maybe you can order a pair from HeadRoom and check them out (they have a 30 day return policy). Heck, you can order both the Etys and the Senns and decide which one to keep. Keep us posted!

Vince

Jun 14, 2002 at 4:08 PM Post #27 of 34
Another option that I've seen mentioned only once or twice here is to use your favorite pair of earbuds in conjunction with pair of shooting earmuffs. These are designed to protect ones hearing when shooting a gun. They come in different sizes, styles, and prices (and presumably effectiveness). Some fold to a conveniently small package for traveling and unfold when needed. They can be found in many sporting goods stores, the sporting goods dept of larger department stores, and hunting/fishing supply shops. Prices I've seen usually range from $10 to $40 (but some can even go up to the price of Ety's).

I could not justify the expense of Ety's since I do not use my portable where such isolation is warranted or safe. But I do occasionally wish for such isolation, like when on a long bus/train ride, or airplane. In such environments (again which are only occasional right now), the earbud/earmuff setup is reasonable and effective.

Jun 14, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #28 of 34
Well, after trying out a pair of the Sony EX-70s and hearing some of the testimony posted here (Vince, thanks for speaking to the mp3 issue!), I've almost decided to try out the Ety ER-6s (and simply muddle through the initial period of figuring out how to get them seated properly). In a couple of weeks when I have the funds (birthday coming up). Is it worth it to buy a headphone amp at the same time, given my setup? HeadRoom offers a pair of ER6s with an AirHead amp for like $200; not really knowing much about headphone amps I'm not sure whether I really need one to be able to listen to my mp3s and watch DVDs on airplanes effectively. Will an amp make that much of a difference (say, about $70 worth of difference) in my case? Obviously the sales folks at HeadRoom think it will; what do others think?

Jun 25, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #30 of 34
All right, so I took the plunge and ordered the ER6/AirHead combo from HeadRoom. In a few days we'll see whether I'm going to be joining Team Ety (and whether I'm going to be re-ripping most of my mp3 files). Stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back