ISOLATION: TH-X00 variants vs E-MU Teaks vs Beyer DT177X
Jul 19, 2021 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JCRG

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to purchase my next set of closed cans, these candidates seem to fit the overall experience I might be seeking, but I am just worried none of them might offer adequate isolation, would anyone be kind enough to shed some personal experiences regarding them?

Thanks and best regards.

Jul 23, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 15
I've owned the Fostex TH-X00, E-MU Teak, and the Beyerdynamic DT 1770. Sonically, I much prefer the Fostex and E-MU, but they offer very little isolation, and are far more comparable to open backs in terms in this respect. The DT 1770, however, isolates very well, and more than adequately IMO. Hope that helps.

Jul 23, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 15
I've owned the Fostex TH-X00, E-MU Teak, and the Beyerdynamic DT 1770. Sonically, I much prefer the Fostex and E-MU, but they offer very little isolation, and are far more comparable to open backs in terms in this respect. The DT 1770, however, isolates very well, and more than adequately IMO. Hope that helps.
Thank you, I was indeed very hyped about the Fostex and Teaks, but their lack of isolation is a huge bummer, as I live in a very noisy environment.

Best regards.

Jul 23, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 15
They may look like closed headphones but all of the Foster variants are actually semi-closed (or semi-open depending on how you look at it), so isolation is limited

Jul 23, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 15
Atm I am planning to acquire either a pair of closed audezes or a closed mod of a TR50p, I am hoping they seal and isolate like good closed backs :)
Based on the models you're considering I assume that bass response is a big factor here. If that's the case, IME the LCD-2 closed isolate very well and offer strong bass response, particularly if you want to nudge it via EQ.

Jul 23, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 15
I'm mostly trying to find something that rings my bell without eq, I'll gladly take the imperfections of the sound as long as it manages to sound fun enough.

I already went through my neutral period with A900x, SRH1540 and Aeons Closed 1.0, and while the analytical dissection of my favourite music was a very compelling and enjoyable endeavour, at this point in time I want to try the "fun and engaging" side of headphones.

Jul 23, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 15
I'm mostly trying to find something that rings my bell without eq, I'll gladly take the imperfections of the sound as long as it manages to sound fun enough.

I already went through my neutral period with A900x, SRH1540 and Aeons Closed 1.0, and while the analytical dissection of my favourite music was a very compelling and enjoyable endeavour, at this point in time I want to try the "fun and engaging" side of headphones.
You and I may have very similar tastes 🙂 I've owned the A900x and currently have an Aeon Flow Closed RT as my 'balanced' headphone of choice, and I greatly enjoy it for this. The LCD-2 closed is my choice for bigger bass and more enveloping sound without sacrificing detail and it really scratches that itch for me. Listening to them right now after a couple of weeks with the Aeons.

Jul 23, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 15
We seem to have similar tastes indeed!

My experience with the very first iteration of the Aeons was honestly a bit underwhelming, they sounded very lean, although isolation and sounstage was fantastic, to this day I debate wether my source didn't provide enough current or something. Reading a lot about the RT version makes me wonder if it's worth revisiting them, how would you rate the amount of slam you can get out of them?

Jul 23, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 15
We seem to have similar tastes indeed!

My experience with the very first iteration of the Aeons was honestly a bit underwhelming, they sounded very lean, although isolation and sounstage was fantastic, to this day I debate wether my source didn't provide enough current or something. Reading a lot about the RT version makes me wonder if it's worth revisiting them, how would you rate the amount of slam you can get out of them?
Those are valid points and I know that I do have to push my Aeons a little harder than the LCDs at times to get the volume I look for. From what I understand the OG AFCs (acronyms galore) were pretty lean on the lower end but these new RTs have the oomph when the song calls for it, particularly with some EQ dialed in. The LCD2 closed definitely have bigger bass and a leaning towards bass that the AFC RTs don't, but I find myself fully satisfied with the Aeons when I'm listening.

With that said, the LCDs do hit harder and they're both a bit behind the Elegia if we're looking strictly at dynamic impact. However, IME the gap between them isn't really all that big and while I value impact the Aeon does just fine for me.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 15
Those are valid points and I know that I do have to push my Aeons a little harder than the LCDs at times to get the volume I look for. From what I understand the OG AFC RTs (acronyms galore) were pretty lean on the lower end but these new RTs have the oomph when the song calls for it, particularly with some EQ dialed in. The LCD2 closed definitely have bigger bass and a leaning towards bass that the AFC RTs don't, but I find myself fully satisfied with the Aeons when I'm listening.

With that said, the LCDs do hit harder and they're both a bit behind the Elegia if we're looking strictly at dynamic impact. However, IME the gap between them isn't really all that big and while I value impact the Aeon does just fine for me.
I did consider the Elegias at one point, but many reviewers were certain it lacked bass slam, and they tend to be sparkly, in summary the impressions I got was that they were something that wouldn't fit the warm signature that I was looking for.

How would you personally describe the Elegias? if it's not much to ask :)

Jul 23, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 15
I did consider the Elegias at one point, but many reviewers were certain it lacked bass slam, and they tend to be sparkly, in summary the impressions I got was that they were something that wouldn't fit the warm signature that I was looking for.

How would you personally describe the Elegias? if it's not much to ask :)
I don't personally find the Elegias bass-light without EQ, though they are mid-forward, and with EQ they absolutely deliver impactful extended bass, one of the few I've found that doesn't distort on things like the Love Lockdown bass drop.

IMO and IME they definitely aren't warm, which to me implies a softening of the treble and loss of detail and possibly dynamic precision in favor of pronounced mids. To my ears, with EQ they lean much more toward neutral and even a bit analytical though I find them to not have the level of transparency that the AFC RTs and even the LCD2 closed achieve, though the gap I perceive between the LCD and Elegia could be a toss-up based on individual ears. I'd put the AFC RTs as generally neutral with treble lean (I use it with the black felt), the Elegia as much more towards neutral with a focus on precision and dynamics, and the LCD-2 closed a thicker sound a touch on the bassy side of neutral without giving up anything of consequence in the mids or treble regions to get it.

Jul 23, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #13 of 15
Thanks a lot for your insights! I ended up getting a pair of LCD2CB that were on sale (B-Stock), so I'm really excited to try them! Although it might take a while for them to arrive. Really looking forward to see what's a proper "slam" experience.

Jul 23, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks a lot for your insights! I ended up getting a pair of LCD2CB that were on sale (B-Stock), so I'm really excited to try them! Although it might take a while for them to arrive. Really looking forward to see what's a proper "slam" experience.
Awesome to hear, as it does sound like these are right up your alley given what you're looking for. Where did you get them from if I may ask?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back