1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

isolation for drumming

1. bmeat
    void

2. bmeat
    void

3. MrQ
    PM Windsor. He's a professional drummer and is sure to have some advice.

4. bmeat
    void

5. bbrunskill
    I'm a pro musician, and gig playing drums at least a couple of times a month.
    I've used Sennheiser CX300, UE Super Fi 5, UE700, and various cans including Sennheiser 280PRO.
    I would say that isolation was very poor with CX30, and UE700. 

It's slightly better with UE super fi 5 and the cans. The other important thing is comfort - the wire from full size headphones comes down the side usually, and it's a pain, getting caught in one arm all the time. IEMs, with wire going down my back are more comfortable.

Also, with cans, they tend to shift with movement, IEM's are a bit better at staying in place. With IEM's, I don't feel like I'm wearing something extra. Cans always feel bulky and a bit silly.

If you take drumming seriously, I would recommend custom IEMs - the best isolation and comfort.  

6. bmeat
    void

7. Tronz
    Sorry for my zero contribution to this thread but I thought the title said " Isolation for dummies ". [​IMG]

8. yipcanjo
    My son is a drummer (+ I'm a long-time musician), and I would probably lean you toward the Etymotic stuff -- MC5 (cheaper), HF5 (more expensive, better sound) or the ER4 Series (best).  With the triple-flange ear tips, the isolation is wonderful!  I've also used them as in-ear monitors for some on-stage show stuff, and they worked well.

9. ibsimon
    Get some shure's like the SE215s