Isolating Supraaurals like the Porta Pros
Mar 4, 2012 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

suburbanite

100+ Head-Fier
I love my Porta Pros but they're poor in noisy environments so I want a noise-isolating equivalent.

I'm looking for supraaurals with:
  1. good noise isolation
  2. articulating earpads
  3. velour/fabric/foam earpads standard or optional
  4. 4' cable
  5. 3.5mm jack

I'd go with IEM's but don't tolerate them well.

I hate pleather and I'm OK with them coming with pleather pads but I want to either replace or cover the pleather earpads with velour, fabric, foam or just anything that doesn't get sticky.

I could easily tolerate phones that are more neutral than the Porta Pros because when I listen to some bass-heavy music like Moby, NIN, etc. they seem a bit too warm for me. 

Thanks for any help.

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 5
Beyerdynamic DT1350, Sennheiser HD25-ii, the ES series (7,8,9) from Audio Technica. Ath 500pro Mk 2 from Audio technica. You'll get some of the best isolation from the Dt1350 and Hd25

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 5
What is your budget? Switching to velour earpads will decrease the isolation.Supraural headphones don't isolate well unless they have high clamping force like the HD25-II, then some people claim the clamping force gives them a headache with extended use. if you want a nice compact,supraaural,closed, very comfortable, warm headphone that is inexpensive, you should look at the JVC HAS650.  It is only around $40. It doesn't have the huge isolation of the HD25-II($190). Many claim the HD25-II is uncomfortable. The JVC HAS160 "Flats" is closed, but has even less isolation than the HAS650. It has very neutral sound and is only around $13. It is my favorite headphone under $40. Perhaps you might not need extreme isolation, but just a bit of isolation like the HAS160 provides.

The Beyerdynamic DT1350, and Sennheiser HD25-II look interesting, however many people don't want to spend over $150, and especially not over $250.

For isolation, nothing beats an IEM. At first I didn't like IEMs, however after a while I got used to them.

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 5
You can also try the AKG K518DJ/LE, they have perhaps the highest level of passive noise isolation that I've heard for a supraaural portable. They have similarities to the Portapro's sound sig, with more prominent bass. Be warned that the clamping pressure may be a tad too much though.

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the feedback.

I initially wanted the HD 25-1 II's and had read the reviews so I was almost sold.

However, you guys have persuaded me to forego them with your emphases of the HD 25-1's ear-clamping force.

I had the ATH-M50's and found the pressure placed at the top of my head to be not worth tolerating for recreational listening and I am getting the impression that studio and DJ headphones in general are work instruments and therefore little emphasis is placed in comfort or listener enjoyment.

That being, I'm going with the Klipsch Image S4's for now..

I still want to try the HD 25-1's one day though 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back