Isolating headphones under £100
Sep 10, 2009 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TempusV

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been researching closed headphones for a few days now; mostly through reviews on this forum. So far I've ruled out a few headphones due to the large amount of bad reviews they receive on this forum (I know a few listed are above my budget, but I would be willing to spend slightly more where necessary).

AKG Studio K271 MkII -- very little bass
Beyerdynamic DT770 -- too much bass

I generally listen to classical, choral, electronic and metal music. The headphones are to be used purely indoors (halls) when I go to University. I am very sensitive to sound and as such they need to be as isolating as possible.

The most appealing to me so far is the Shure SRH840; and although they are above my price range significantly I am still considering them. Any suggestions below their retail price (preferably below £100) would be greatly welcomed. I have no preferences as to brand. Headphones that do not require amping (or require something small and cheap, eg. the PA2v2 to add a bit of extra oomph) would be vastly preferred. The output is likely to be from either a computer, or in the near future something like an Onkyo CR-525.

Another model I've just heard about is the Sennheiser HD280 Pro -- I see conflicting reports as to how well these isolate, can anyone give their opinions on these too?

Thanks for any help you can provide
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #4 of 14
How about Goldring NS1000 or Audio Technica ANC7 (or ANC7B)? Both are Active Noise Reduction (ANR) Headphones but they offer decent isolation in passive mode. The NS1000 and ANC7 may need an amp in passive mode to sound their best though. The ANC7b was updated to sound better unamped in passive mode. They're all made by the same OEM (Phitek) and are quite similar, with the ANC7 supposedly having the edge for build and sound quality.

You should be able to find all of the above well under £100. Just a word of warning: once ANR is switched on they do hiss a little. It's great for reducing noises like computer fans and air con but can spoil things if you're listeing in in a quiet environment.

Alternatively, how about the Senn HD25 (and lower priced variants)? I've not used them but FWIR they offer decent isolation and sound quality. They're 'on ear' rather than circumnaural though.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about Goldring NS1000 or Audio Technica ANC7 (or ANC7B)? Both are Active Noise Reduction (ANR) Headphones but they offer decent isolation in passive mode. The NS1000 and ANC7 may need an amp in passive mode to sound their best though. The ANC7b was updated to sound better unamped in passive mode. They're all made by the same OEM (Phitek) and are quite similar, with the ANC7 supposedly having the edge for build and sound quality.

You should be able to find all of the above well under £100. Just a word of warning: once ANR is switched on they do hiss a little. It's great for reducing noises like computer fans and air con but can spoil things if you're listeing in in a quiet environment.

Alternatively, how about the Senn HD25 (and lower priced variants)? I've not used them but FWIR they offer decent isolation and sound quality. They're 'on ear' rather than circumnaural though.

I had already looked into Active Noise Reduction, but decided against it -- high-frequency sounds have a tendency to annoy me and I can hear a larger range of them than most people too. I'd prefer to go for passive headphones if possible.

The HD25-1 looks good from the reviews I've just read; I'll add them to my list of possibilities. Though again they are quite above my price range (they seem to sell around £150); and if I was going to go over my preferred budget I would still look to get the Shure SRH840s as they seem to get good reviews across the board.

Really looking to find a pair under £100 if at all possible.

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TempusV /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Really looking to find a pair under £100 if at all possible.

You can buy them used, or new...M-50, HFI/Pro-550/580, Dj1/Pro, HFI680/780.

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 14
The ATH ES7 look nice and are a good price, but every review I've read doesn't rate them very highly for isolation and that is pretty much the most important factor for me.

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 14
Currently the two options that I'm seriously considering are the Shure SRH840, SRH440 and the Sennheiser HD25-1 MkII. Can anybody give a small comparison of the good and bad points of these phones?

The SRH840 costs double as much as the SRH440 -- are they really worth that much more? I can easily buy the SRH440 so I'm seriously considering them now considering the utterly huge price difference.

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TempusV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently the two options that I'm seriously considering are the Shure SRH840 and the Sennheiser HD25-1 MkII. Can anybody give a small comparison of the good and bad points of these phones?

I had the HD-25 ll, and I'll recommend them to you only if you are a deaf DJ. If not try the Sure, or save more money and go with the GMP 8.35 two pads and you can chose and mod the sound.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #14 of 14
I've decided on the SRH440s. From the reviews I've read the difference in quality seems to be nowhere near the £100 difference in price. Thanks for all the help in this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back