Isolating headphone recommendation?
Sep 9, 2021 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Joe Garfield

100+ Head-Fier
I need something for work: the guy next to me has a "tic" cough/ hack, slurps soup every day, and has horrible volume control on phone calls. Its literally driving me nuts! So, do I need 'noise cancelling' (active/passive) or just an isolating closed back? (Edit: updated per post below, and I agree ANC is probably not what I'm looking for.)

I currently have my HD650s at work with an amp and DAC. If I have to go 'noise cancelling' I'd like to use my components if possible, and really would like to avoid Bluetooth unless there's some fancy proprietary codec that's lossless (which I doubt.)

I'd prefer cans over buds, but I'm open to buds if they're the right solution and sound good. And I like a flatter response - nothing too bright or too boomy. I have K712s at home which are about as bright as I can stand but I do like them enough.

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 3
Most noise cancelling isn't designed for those kinds of sounds. Droning engine sounds from a plane, train or cars, sure. Unique sudden changes in dB? Not so much. If you have a coworker whose habits are distracting, I believe passive isolation from a well made closed-back will be more effective.

Sep 9, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 3
This isn't exactly what you want to hear, but I thought it would be worth sharing my own experience. I purchased a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones specifically for an open-air, noisy work environment. People made all kinds of racket, and perhaps most distracting, I could even hear myself talk on some people's laptops when on a call. I would respectfully disagree with PopZeus on the ability to negate those kinds of office sounds. Sure, it doesn't block everything, but I was honestly shocked at the difference they made. They are not considered audiophile headphones, but they sounded damn good to me. Anyway, I would highly recommend giving them a try if you can find a place that will allow you to return them if needed. Maybe you can keep both at your desk and use what is needed for the situation as it arises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back