Isolated Sleep
May 23, 2013 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

liquid360

New Head-Fier
I live in a downtown loft and just had a club built next door. The other weekend I had Bush performing roughly a couple hundred feet from my bed. Some nights I require sleep and I'm seeking a pair of IEM to sleep in. Obviously noise isolation is critical. If listening to music/audio I'll be listening to either podcasts (spoken) or for music I'll listen to stuff like Underworld,Stone Temple Pilots, Muse, Aimee Mann, etc... They MUST be comfy and I sleep on my side. My budget? Around $700-$800. Please advise!

May 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 10
GSA, ditto

May 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 10
I actually go to bed with my IEM's and listen for about an hour or so. I am a side sleeper as well and i am pretty happy with my Shure Red SE535's with comply eartips, and UE900 cable with the memory wires removed so that the cable is thinner and softer (the stock Shure cables aren't as good for sleeping in). I also own the UE triple fi 10s which are terrible for sleeping in, even with the cable reverse mod, and ive tried sleeping with the UE900s as well which is do-able but not as comfortable as the 535s. Hope this helps

May 24, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 10
To add to that, I am getting myTF10s reshelled into custom monitors and they just started working on those this week. So i'll have some impressions on the comfort sleeping with those hopefully in the near future

May 24, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
I live in a downtown loft and just had a club built next door. The other weekend I had Bush performing roughly a couple hundred feet from my bed. Some nights I require sleep and I'm seeking a pair of IEM to sleep in. Obviously noise isolation is critical. If listening to music/audio I'll be listening to either podcasts (spoken) or for music I'll listen to stuff like Underworld,Stone Temple Pilots, Muse, Aimee Mann, etc... They MUST be comfy and I sleep on my side. My budget? Around $700-$800. Please advise!

People often get custom IEMs for the wrong reasons, usually as a result of the hype surrounding these products. However, I think in your case customs are the best solution. If I were in your position, and having seen countless customs mentioned in these forums in the 4.5 years I've been a member, I'd opt for the JH Audio JH5 Pro: http://www.jhaudio.com/product/jh5-pro-custom-ear-monitor

If you do decide to get customs eventually, it's critical that you get good ear impressions from an audiologist who not only does ear impressions for hearing aids, but also for musicians' monitors. Contact JH Audio—if you decide to go with them—for a list of audiologists in your area (if you're based in the US). Several people have reported that these $400 customs (which I personally haven't tried myself) have truly excellent SQ. The JH5 is a dual-BA IEM, but don't be fooled by the typical assumption that "more drivers = better SQ".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back