ISO recommendations for a budget turntable
Mar 13, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #16 of 23
Looks like an early version alright. Must be pre '81 as that's when the RB250 came out. But all the older ones I have seen here in the UK have an Acos derived arm called the RB200, so maybe yours are specific export versions?

The Rega has no suspension whatsover so is very susceptible to external vibrations. You should ideally put it on it's own a wall shelf attached to a solid wall. Sound Organisation and Target make these kind of tables which turn up on ebay from time to time and there are other companies like SRMtech which make special isolation platforms, but any solid wall shelf will do. If you have a concrete floor you can get away with a sturdy table.

Another good tweak is a marble chopping board with Foculpods underneath.

The mistracking could also be due to the arm not being set up correctly. Get hold of a stylus force gauge like the ones made by Shure or Ortofon which are pretty cheap, in order to check this.

Another possible issue is the cartidge compliance. I am not that familiar with the Grado carts you mention but the Grace arm being a 70's low mass design is likely to want high compliance cartridge. ie one with a springy suspension. A Shure would be the classic match.

You can check on this calculator here http://www.audiotic.com/T&TSetup/T&TSetupFS.htm

The wow and flutter issue is most likely caused by a worn belt so that would be the first thing to replace.

There is a good article on turntable set-up here
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue18/turntables.htm

Mar 13, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #17 of 23
muchos gracias memepool. I already contacted Rega to purchase a new dust cover, i'll also purchase a new belt and a tracking guage to check it out. If this doesn't work out, I'll look into a shure cart/stylus.

Mar 13, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #18 of 23
I can't recommend the Shure force gage enough...priceless. Also, amusicdirect.com sells a thin cardboard piece shaped like a record that has a grid layout on it for aligning the cartridge on the head of the arm. Without that I am not sure how people setup their cartridge with assurance. Lastly, they sell the Hi-Fi News LP that has various tools to ensure proper setup...total expenditure is around $50 and well worth it for the life of your TT listening.

I know Grado cartriges can have problems with RBxxx arms due to their lack of grounding. I'm not sure if the Grace has wiring for earthing or not. I steared clear of Grado's for that reason when I was using a P3 w/RB300 arm.

The new belt should cure your woes per memepool's comment.

Mar 13, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #19 of 23
I ordered the shure force guage. I'm also looking into ordering a new dust cover and belt.

edit: thanks for all your helps guys!

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:25 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadlesko
a thin cardboard piece shaped like a record that has a grid layout on it for aligning the cartridge on the head of the arm

Another good alignment tool is from Tim at http://www.turntablebasics.com

This is a mirror which makes it easier to see around the top of the headshell and also means that if the sides of your cart arn't square you can align the cantilever.

He also carries a little spirit level which is very useful for making sure your table is perfectly level.

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #21 of 23
Somewhere on the Net (I think it's from Enjoythemusic.com) there's a free cartridge alignment gauge as a .PDF file that can be printed out on thick paper... works well and seems to be accurate. There's also one of those strobe discs that can be used to check the speed of the table... that one is from Extreme Phono.

Mar 14, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #23 of 23
Excellent, you guys rock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back