ISO recommendations for a budget turntable
Mar 7, 2006 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Alright, the hell with this, I really want a new one more than ever. Budget is $300-$400 and i'm not interested in upgrading for a while. So I want something that'll sound nice right out of the box. I also want something that's easy to setup/configure. Possible choices:

Musichall 2.1
Pro-ject Debut III
Goldring GR-1

Any other entry models I should seriously consider? Is it extremely worthwhile to upgrade the cartridge (if i decided to have a $100 budget for a cart replacement?). I'm currently using some crappy Fisher turntable with a audio technica cart. I have a pro-ject phono preamp as well as a yamaha receiver with a phono preamp built into it. I know, it's a bit ghetto but what the hell, I really want to get back into vinyl. Thanks folks!

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 23
If youve got the cash, go for the Pro-Ject Xpression. Its a big jump from the debut III (and what i use personally) the ortofon cartridge that comes in it (the om-10) is a wonderful one for the non-hardcore but caring vinyl listener, being easy to set up and with a good sound to it.

I use a NAD PP2 phono amp with mine, which will liekly be my next system upgrade, its holding back the potential of the turntable.

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 23
There's no reason not to go with a used Rega Planar 3...they should sufficiently surpass the tables mentioned...use your current cartridge and upgrade later!

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 23
Low to midrange turntables were MUCH better in the 1970s than they are now. Today, turntables seem to either be cheaply made and selling for $300 or well made and selling for much more. I'd recommend used too.

See ya
Steve

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadlesko
There's no reason not to go with a used Rega Planar 3...they should sufficiently surpass the tables mentioned...use your current cartridge and upgrade later!

Thanks for the tip, I found one listed on audiogon so I shot off an email to request some info
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 23
Just wanted to let everyone know I picked up a used Rega Planar 3 with a grado gold cart and a grace arm (unknown model#). Sounds good, but damn, my records need a cleaning or I might to figure out how to align this arm a little.

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #7 of 23
Mar 10, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
Are you sure it's a Grace arm? and not a Rega RB200. Wierd how all these Rega's with non-Rega arms keep turning up...

Yep, it's a grace arm. What's weird is that Grace didn't stamp the model# on it...

lini, thanks, I'll take a look and compare.

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #11 of 23
If it's a Grace 707, it's a good arm commonly fitted to Linn Sondek's in the 70's. Would be well worth a rewire, if it can be done cheaper than upgrading to an RB250 (-200USD)
What I am curious about is that someone would put an arm like this on a Rega in the first place and that it's not an isolated occurence as this has turned up on Head-Fi before recently.
Maybe Rega sold the decks like these in the 70's in the USA. Certainly never come accross one in the UK. Any indication of how old the table itself is?

Mar 13, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #12 of 23
memepool, I have no clue how old the deck is...but pics are coming in a few mins.

Billy (and everyone else),

This tt is pissing me off. It skips like a banshee on records that didn't skip at all with my pos fisher tt and stanton cart (stanton 500 iirc). Are Grado carts known to be very sensitive? If so, I think this cart is outta here and I'll have to replace it with a much less sensitive cart. I do clean my records manually with a brush and a little liquid cleaner.

Secondly, how the hell can I tell is this tt is configured properly? It sounds pretty sweet, but the treble on my taxi driver soundtrack is spitty and either its not configured properly (tracking force?) or the cart is just a plain pain to work with.

tia!

Mar 13, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #13 of 23
DSC05328.jpg

DSC05332.jpg

DSC05331.jpg

DSC05333.jpg

DSC05336.jpg

Mar 13, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #14 of 23
dude thats the same exact arm I got..even with the head shell!!!
I have no clue what model it is cause of the different head shell in the 707 or 747 pics I seen.

Anyway My probelm with My Grado Sonata cart I have is wow and flutter..its bad! you got that probelm to?

thats freaky we have the same tt witht he same tonearm...weird man..lol

Mar 13, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
dude thats the same exact arm I got..even with the head shell!!!
I have no clue what model it is cause of the different head shell in the 707 or 747 pics I seen.

Anyway My probelm with My Grado Sonata cart I have is wow and flutter..its bad! you got that probelm to?

thats freaky we have the same tt witht he same tonearm...weird man..lol

I heard what sounded like wow and flutter on one record. It's mostly the wacky tracking that's pissing me off right now. How the heck do you set the tracking force on your tt? I gotta go read up on that configuration stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back