Isn't it the time for 24/192 USB DAC ???
Oct 5, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #16 of 21
I am sure that if CD's were mastered to a high standard there would be no need for hi-res files.
Most of the rubbish that is produced these days sounds and is compressed the same as the old cassette format.
If you listen to a GOOD CD that has been mastered to play on GOOD GEAR then you will realise that there is no need to go higher.

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but, in the studio and mixing, they use even 32bit and 768KHZ

So?
Won't having a music file that close to the original is better?

Sure we will need a very good DAC, but still, isn't 192KHz better than 96KHZ ???

One needs many bits for mixing and operating on many channels. Audio work stations use 32 bits, 48 bits and even 64 bits. You need that much because some channels are attenuated, other channels are amplified, or boosted in some way (such as EQ)... The DAW (digital audio worksatation) is like a "scratch pad", you get a "large area" to work with". But the final audio product audio itself is eventually limited to 24 bits, or even 16 bits (for say CD).

Each original "single channel" audio is rarly over 120dB (20 bits) and the final outcome is also no more then that. 24 bits is 144dB, no one can record such a range, and the ear can not hear such a range!

768Khz is rarely used, and as a rule should not be used. There are some folks that sell 384KHz format, but the world if full of folks selling all sorts of things.

Regards
Dan Lavry

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #18 of 21
The main thing is for maintaining sampling rates for some people I think. Want the same out of foobar as the dac does so less converting around. Im just about the best SQ usb to my dac with 24/96 since vinyl rips or SACD

Oct 5, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you listen to a GOOD CD that has been mastered to play on GOOD GEAR then you will realise that there is no need to go higher.

I agree with you. CD can sound really good (e.g. Bob Ludvig's remasters) and the majority of recordings doesn't reach its full potential.

Moreover, introducing new formats brings another threat - now even more lazy sound engineers will bungle their work thinking that if hi-rez is so good, there is no need for high-quality mastering
angry_face.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You want 24/192?

Here you go:

HEGEL

Does the Hegel do 24/192 over USB?
Their web site says it uses the standard USB audio drivers:
Quote:

The HD10 is, as all Hegel soundcards is, a Plug&Play unit. No extra drivers needs to be installed on newer MAC's or PC's. HD10 uses generic drivers so the computer will immediately recognize it and install it within seconds.

As far as I'm aware, you can't do 24/192 with the standard USB audio drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back