ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Nov 8, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #3,256 of 5,036
I asked for Penon to send a sample of the H50 to tkddans from youtube channel Dan’s Audio Reviews so he could review them and provide us some binaural test.
I know it may be hard for these to come from China and then be returned, so maybe you guys that live in USA could help in this regard.
This is the thread where I asked for the sample https://www.head-fi.org/threads/isn-audio-h50-is-available-now.960542/post-16650583
If any of you could provide him with a sample of the H50 or even the H40 it would be great!
I have the H40 which I love, so it would be awesome to somehow "listen" to a comparison between them.
Tks

Nov 8, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #3,258 of 5,036
Was testing out the new Fiio KA3 Dac amp and the H50 connected to it in balanced. Landed on this new track on youtube. If you haven't seen it. What is old is new. Motown vibes on this one. Soo good. Lol.

Received H50 right now OOTB excellent Thru 4.4 bal Looto Dongle dac amp v2 if burn in improves will be raving about these like DS! Amazing soundstage and instrument separation…bass a little muddy but should tighten up when dynamic driver settles in…a definite preliminary WOW!!!!! Would C4 Isn cable be an upgrade to included cable..??

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #3,260 of 5,036
Received H50 right now OOTB excellent Thru 4.4 bal Looto Dongle dac amp v2 if burn in improves will be raving about these like DS! Amazing soundstage and instrument separation…bass a little muddy but should tighten up when dynamic driver settles in…a definite preliminary WOW!!!!! Would C4 Isn cable be an upgrade to included cable..??
Glad they are to your liking there Dr.Blue. I would try whatever cables you have on hand and see how that changes the sonics for you but more tips and a bit of a run in first. Pure copper will add a bit of warmth to the mix. So it will depend on how you want that sound signature.

Make sure your using the pinch wedge finger nails between the connector and housing method to take out the mmcx.

I had an identical initial out of the box impression as well. Very nicely done.

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #3,261 of 5,036
Glad they are to your liking there Dr.Blue. I would try whatever cables you have on hand and see how that changes the sonics for you but more tips and a bit of a run in first. Pure copper will add a bit of warmth to the mix. So it will depend on how you want that sound signature.

Make sure your using the pinch wedge finger nails between the connector and housing method to take out the mmcx.

I had an identical initial out of the box impression as well. Very nicely done.
I will say I'm disappointed they went with MMCX again. After they went 2 pin with the EST I thought that was the standard going forward.

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #3,262 of 5,036
If I may divert a little attention away from the H50 for a moment... (as excited as I am myself for the influx of first impressions :))...

Now that I've had the EST50 with me for a few weeks, I wanted to share some further thoughts:

Since I posted my initial impressions, I've swapped out the silver-plated copper TRI Through cable I was using for a 4N pure silver one from XINHS (link) and the ePro EP00 horn tips for Azla Sedna Light Shorts.

In its current configuration, I would now describe the EST50 as a properly bass-boosted neutral tuning, and a clear shift away from its previously distinct L-shaped signature.

By properly bass-boosted neutral, I mean: falling more or less in the middle of the spectrum tonally (rather than leaning heavily warm and thick), crisp and extended treble that is aligned with its mids (rather than taking a backseat to the rest of the frequency spectrum), and a strong, robust low-end that shows up with gusto only when called for (rather than appearing as an ever-present anchor).

Crucially, this tonal shift is accompanied by a not-insignificant improvement in technical performance across multiple areas: clarity, transparency, treble extension and detail, layering, incisiveness, low-level resolution.

At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, since I began my Head-Fi journey in 2007, I can really only recall having owned one other IEM (namely the Sony IER-M9) where I found myself so consistently greeted with new layers of low-level details and information across my entire library. To put this in context, past IEMs I’ve owned include the UM MEST, Sony EX1000, Hyla CE-5, AK T8iE MKII, Fearless S8F, Moondrop Variations, and the ThieAudio Clairvoyance.

(Side clarification: The MEST is perhaps more resolving, but I do think a reasonable degree of its resolving capabilities owes itself to its specific tuning that prioritises—even exaggerates—the perception of clarity, and to an almost distracting extent. Subjectively, I found the resulting lack of cohesiveness and sense of realism to detract from my ability to fully enjoy or immerse myself in my music.)

When I bought the ISN EST50, I fully expected to be impressed as I was with the H40 by its rich, euphonic, and full-bodied tonality; its potent bass, and its expansive soundstage. I had hoped it would be a reasonable upgrade technically. What I certainly did not expect, however, was to find myself waxing lyrical about its layering capabilities or its ability to resolve 'microdetails'. I didn't think I could be any more impressed than I initially was, but here I am.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #3,263 of 5,036
Dammit! You've just spent some $$ for me I think.... I was an early owner of the H40, and lately it hasn't been getting used much at all due to other IEMs which have landed in the house, having significantly better technical abilities. But I think with your description of the EST50 I may need to return to the ISN lineup!

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #3,264 of 5,036
I too just got the EST50 and did pretty much the same thing with the exact same silver cable! But them I thought, let's try the Penon Flow silver from my Legend....... mind blown, truly. Everything the XINHS did but 10X better and clearer, fuller. I just ordered another from Penon with a nice 11/11 discount for my EST50.

The EST50 has SO much more capabilities than the stock cable shows.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #3,265 of 5,036
I can concur with @shampoosuicide on the EST50. I have always been a basshead but have never heard such nuanced bass. Whilst other IEMs micro details focuses on voices or instruments, the EST50 bass gives you bass you never realised you wanted. I leant mine to a friend for a few days and he was telling me he’s heard an extra 2-3 layers of bass on music he’s heard for years on all kinds of sources.

I’ve had good synergy with Penon Mix cable but I can’t decide which tip I prefer the most. Have been swapping between Epro, Xelastec and Final Type E. Will eventually try out pure silver cable and Sedna Lights.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #3,266 of 5,036
Have been swapping between Epro, Xelastec and Final Type E.
I tried many tips as well and eventually the most comfort and balance is Radius Deep Mount for me.

Nov 9, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #3,267 of 5,036
I sure wish Penon sold the Radius Deep Mount tips... I'd order some along with it.

Nov 9, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #3,268 of 5,036
I sure wish Penon sold the Radius Deep Mount tips... I'd order some along with it.
They come in clear now...
rad1_thumb.jpg

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #3,269 of 5,036
Where does one order those from??
(sorry to derail thread for the moment)....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back