ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Nov 1, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #3,077 of 5,038
But, my 11.11 budget is only so much. Triple D or H50? One, only one. Timbre and tuning is king for me right now. No shout. No treble glare.

The 2021 Hana is heavenly. I would like something to complement it but still be strong where I need it to be.

Genres: JPop (mostly female vocals), singer/songwriter (mostly acoustic), classical, classic rock, and EDM.
1635752436266.png

EDM should be ISN territory for the Bottom rumble
and texture.
But then again - ear tips rolling is still king...

Nov 1, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #3,078 of 5,038
EST50 has some higher end drivers involved being the liquid silicone dynamic for bass, Sonion BA for mids. Knowles BA for treble and dual ESTs for the upper trebles, hence the price difference. The tuning on the H50 is different. It is more w shaped sound tuning. the EST50 being more L shaped signature. EST50 is more grounded on its larger highly specialized bass performance. I want to say the H50 has more mids and upper treble emphasis for its balancing than the EST50. I have to give the stage to the H50 however. It has this grand presentation that is tops among ISN earphones. It is probably using cheaper BAs with a cheaper dynamic for its sound. But your not gonna care once you hear these things. Believe me it don't sound anywhere close to being cheap. Lol.

FD7 is not as colored meaning it will be leaning a bit more neutrally for tone, bass to treble both regions has less presence vs the H50. H50 has more emphasis in the 3 regions of sound vs the FD7 with a bit more sparkly upper trebles and more upper mid pinna gain or upper mids emphasis more bass presence vs the FD7 moderate emphasis. FD7s tone timbre and accuracy with its highly resolving sound presentation is what makes them stand out. It is a completely different sound altogether. I want to say its stage presentation is similarly wide but I am leaning more toward the H50 in stage actually. Will have to do a careful head to head to figure that one out. Pure Beryllium is playing on a different level for timbre vs BA stuff. BUT

If your gonna go by accuracy. H50 is not an accurate sounding earphone and you can say all of ISNs line up is not all that accurate but my goodness do they all sound fantastically musical. And when I say musical I mean all encompassing with emphasis in each region of sound. Your gonna get a low deep hitting rumble and not so much to cause your tooth filling to fall out at about 8dbs of sub bass boost, just enough to let you know your getting a deep full rumble and punch . Vocals stand out front and center and within a grander stage presentation it is amazing how atmospheric the H50 sounds. Sparkly and shimmery treble due to ample mid trebles and a treble spike in the upper treble region- something you see in higher end cans. The only other earphone that can capture this atmospheric presentation is the Penon Legend and the Volts.

You guys are really getting a taste of a much higher end tuning with the H50. Think way more refined H40 with advancements on what made the H40 so popular in the first place. That stage and dynamism. Its all there with aplomb.
Oh this is very very interesting i will definitely get those to upgrade my ISN40.

So is signature similar to ISN40? Any changes tonally?

Nov 1, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #3,079 of 5,038
Folks, just a heads up for 1st time Penon buyers.
I understand it is our right to save, but in order to avoid frustrations and hassles during transport
better get the express service.
Some headfiers in the past have had regrets not using the express mode.
Enjoy your music...

1635745299935.png

Yep, going through the pain of waiting for an order where I didn't choose express - it wasn't actually an option on the item I purchased but I know now to reach out to Penon separately. The order in question shipped on the 8th of October and still no sign 😥

Very tempted with HS50...

Nov 1, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #3,080 of 5,038
Yep, going through the pain of waiting for an order where I didn't choose express - it wasn't actually an option on the item I purchased but I know now to reach out to Penon separately. The order in question shipped on the 8th of October and still no sign 😥

Very tempted with HS50...
Oh my...
Hope you'll have it soon

Nov 1, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #3,086 of 5,038
IMG_1336.jpeg

The Rolling Stones - Got Live If You Want It! 1966 LIVE mooncresta100 mooncresta100 •

Not much to add that hasn't already been said about the EST50: these are an L-shaped tuning done right. Big, bold, meaty, cohesive, and euphonic. If the Moondrop Variations might be described as having something like a "Clarity" EQ preset applied, then the EST50 could be said to have a "Live" music preset with its subwoofer-like bass presentation.

Treble is delicate, smooth, and relaxed. It's not the last word in air/extension, but it's certainly not stuffy by any means, and there's a surprising amount of sparkle.

Mids are what you'd expect from ISN: meaty, fleshy, rich, and full-bodied, with a tilt towards the lower-mids.

And the bass. Dat bass. Bold, thick, atmospheric, weighty, yet remarkably solid and defined.

Overall decay is what I'd describe as natural. Tonally, they're incredibly cohesive, and if you told me they were an all-DD set up, I'd frankly be none the wiser.

Generally speaking, I'd say their tuning ethos is the direct antithesis of the Variations. The Variations prioritises precision and speed. It's incredibly clean, lean, quick, and detail-oriented. Now the EST50 certainly isn't lacking in any way in terms of resolution, but absolute clarity, precision, and neutrality are not its sonic priorities.

Rather, it aims for a heightened listening experience. The Sony XBA-Z5--the first IEM I truly fell in love with--is well-loved and unique for its bold, cinematic, speaker-like presentation. The EST50 amplifies those same qualities and elevates that experience to the next level. It wouldn't be a stretch to my mind to describe the EST50 as an XBA-Z5 on steroids. If you enjoyed the H40 or the Sony XBA-N3 too, I suspect you'll find the EST50 very much up your alley.

All told, the EST50 is easily my favourite tribrid, and I personally prefer it to the Variations and Clairvoyance. Pair them with the Azla Sedna regular tips and you're golden.

(Edit) One more thing: layering. You would think with the amount of bass on these that layering and separation would suffer, but nope, layering and intelligibility here are surprisingly excellent. These are a sonic rhapsody.
Have to ask something man... (owning allready H40.....)
EST50/H50 or the VARIATIONS ??? (have to buy something IMEDIATELLY!!!)
As far as stage capabilities/dimentionality/sound - spatiality goes which one do you prefer more??
which one do you find better in providing a wider/taller/deeper and well positioned stage ?? (do not really care about acurracy/detail retrieval here...)

Nov 1, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #3,087 of 5,038
Have to ask something man... (owning allready H40.....)
EST50/H50 or the VARIATIONS ??? (have to buy something IMEDIATELLY!!!)
As far as stage capabilities/dimentionality/sound - spatiality goes which one do you prefer more??
which one do you find better in providing a wider/taller/deeper and well positioned stage ?? (do not really care about acurracy/detail retrieval here...)

I'm going off memory here as I've sold the Variations but as far as staging / spatiality, I'm very much inclined to say the EST50. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #3,088 of 5,038
So H50 is a real upgrade on H40, with the same signature ?
... Especially, for medium?

Nov 1, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #3,090 of 5,038
EST50 has some higher end drivers involved being the liquid silicone dynamic for bass, Sonion BA for mids. Knowles BA for treble and dual ESTs for the upper trebles, hence the price difference. The tuning on the H50 is different. It is more w shaped sound tuning. the EST50 being more L shaped signature. EST50 is more grounded on its larger highly specialized bass performance. I want to say the H50 has more mids and upper treble emphasis for its balancing than the EST50. I have to give the stage to the H50 however. It has this grand presentation that is tops among ISN earphones. It is probably using cheaper BAs with a cheaper dynamic for its sound. But your not gonna care once you hear these things. Believe me it don't sound anywhere close to being cheap. Lol.

FD7 is not as colored meaning it will be leaning a bit more neutrally for tone, bass to treble both regions has less presence vs the H50. H50 has more emphasis in the 3 regions of sound vs the FD7 with a bit more sparkly upper trebles and more upper mid pinna gain or upper mids emphasis more bass presence vs the FD7 moderate emphasis. FD7s tone timbre and accuracy with its highly resolving sound presentation is what makes them stand out. It is a completely different sound altogether. I want to say its stage presentation is similarly wide but I am leaning more toward the H50 in stage actually. Will have to do a careful head to head to figure that one out. Pure Beryllium is playing on a different level for timbre vs BA stuff. BUT

If your gonna go by accuracy. H50 is not an accurate sounding earphone and you can say all of ISNs line up is not all that accurate but my goodness do they all sound fantastically musical. And when I say musical I mean all encompassing with emphasis in each region of sound. Your gonna get a low deep hitting rumble and not so much to cause your tooth filling to fall out at about 8dbs of sub bass boost, just enough to let you know your getting a deep full rumble and punch . Vocals stand out front and center and within a grander stage presentation it is amazing how atmospheric the H50 sounds. Sparkly and shimmery treble due to ample mid trebles and a treble spike in the upper treble region- something you see in higher end cans. The only other earphone that can capture this atmospheric presentation is the Penon Legend and the Volts.

You guys are really getting a taste of a much higher end tuning with the H50. Think way more refined H40 with advancements on what made the H40 so popular in the first place. That stage and dynamism. Its all there with aplomb.
my man @Dsnuts ...............
own you BIG TIME here.............
you were the first one who introduced/suggested me without any hesitation to the phenomenal H40 sound profile two years ago....
since then i am a happy head fier...................:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Have to ask again for your opinion...cause matters the most to me before anything here man......
i know you have allready made things clear (been reading your first impressions on H50)regarding the obvious upgrade towards H40s sound BUT still....have to ask : Does H50 offers a much more spacious sound feeling overall in comparison with H40 ??(regarding air/space/stage/dimentionality)stage is my first priority man here.....
And secondly .......i was triggered lately between the VARIATIONS and EST50 tribrids as well man..........
To me what matters the most regarding my next iem purchase would be the stage/dimentionality/sound spatiality of an iem.......
what would you suggest man ???go with eyes closed for H50 and don't look back??????:sweat_smile:
waiting for your suggestion/approval man..........

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back