ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Aug 14, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #2,881 of 5,040
I only ever owned an H40 that had had some kind of foam mod done to it. I didn't want to mess anything up by reversing it, but the tonality was so unremarkable that I'm sure I've never heard them as they are intended to sound.

I've "warmed up" to warmer low profiles (Lokahi, Globe, Aladdin) compared to what I used to prefer (pretty cold, sometimes brutal upper mid gains) and I half wonde what the FR looks like in comparison with some favorites... but...

Do any of the databases contain the H40? Nothing from Crin, HBB, R-Goku, S* reviews, or any others... finding the odd standalone graph online isn't as helpful as I'd like for side by side comparison.
https://banbeu.com/graph/tool/?share=Banbeucmas_Target,ISN_H40

Aug 14, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #2,882 of 5,040
Aug 17, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #2,883 of 5,040
I've just posted my review for the ISN EST50 (it's on the product page here on head-fi as well), hope it helps. It won't be everyone's cup of tea but I had fun reviewing it nonetheless!

P1010574.jpg

With the KBEAR Limpid Silver cable

Aug 18, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #2,884 of 5,040
I've just posted my review for the ISN EST50 (it's on the product page here on head-fi as well), hope it helps. It won't be everyone's cup of tea but I had fun reviewing it nonetheless!

With the KBEAR Limpid Silver cable

Thanks for your opinion! I understand your review and see what you mean.

The tuning of the EST50 is quite "unique" and "strange", at the first listen it can seem surprising. As you get used to the sound, we'll see how incredible and addictive they can be, as if we were immersed in the music and we were in the center. But with a point that can be eliminatory for you ... A dominant bass.

Maybe, you need to try some tips that reduce the bass given your tracklists and your ranking of your IEMs. They are very eartips dependent, I mean it. You can also play with EQ, they respond very well to the EQ, with a ~ -5 dB in low frequencies. If it's still too much ... It wasn't the right trybrids for you. Maybe you should check out EST112 or UM 3DT (not trybrid) which is less bass oriented.

Aug 18, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #2,885 of 5,040
The tuning of the EST50 is quite "unique" and "strange", at the first listen it can seem surprising. As you get used to the sound, we'll see how incredible and addictive they can be, as if we were immersed in the music and we were in the center. But with a point that can be eliminatory for you ... A dominant bass
Exactly my impression as well

Aug 18, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #2,886 of 5,040
Dominant Bass?
Some tips
E-pro inverted, e-pro standard, Final E-type
(top to bottom)

IMG_20210211_161754.jpg

Aug 18, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #2,887 of 5,040
Dominant Bass?
Some tips
E-pro inverted, e-pro standard, Final E-type
(top to bottom)

Damn, you know so much about tips. I will order your references soon by the way :stuck_out_tongue:
Yes, it will change the sound a lot, that's what I noticed with my tips collection. In my case, I use tips that fit very well in my ear for an incredible isolation (this is one of the many big strengths of the EST50) and that on the opposite, enhance the bass.

Exactly my impression as well

I begin to write a review, it might take a little time with my work but you should recognize yourself in the review then. But if I can give a "little impression", this is probably the most impressive point for me, you don't "watch a concert", you are "inside the music like a musically trip".

Due to an excellent separation of the instruments, a soundstage with a good depth, the instruments that have body and a feeling that they materialize (because EST ?) and a powerful bass (like a subwoofer, you feel it) giving body to all details and create an atmosphere.

These details emphasize so much the panoramic audio (basically called stereo music) of the music, creating a "3D/Surround effect". And not many IEMs do that (especially at this price and as detailed as the EST50). Their positions and not too far apart for musical coherence but far enough apart when required and create "sensation of distance", movement (e.g., left to right) and sound coherence (they blend together to create the feeling that they belong to the music) !

It totally changes the music and how you listen to it. I didn't expect this effect to be present and pronounced on the majority of the music I listen to. Everything looks finely tuned and I totally agree with @Dsnuts , the tuning goes on all musical styles. And goodness ... It's very detailed with such an imposing bass. thanks to the EST ?

In my case and actually, I am rediscovering the Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Fleetwood Mc, Nick Cave, Rammstein and the old rock/metal bands. For electro music, EST50 is the pair that I recommend, they excel perfectly with the massive bass. Unique bass and you feel IT and if you are thirsty of bass, you make an EQ in low frequencies +5dB, they become bass-monster. For industrial techno, acid or trance like Paula Temple, I Hate Models or Astrix, a nice and wonderful trip.

To finish, the EST50 have a coloured and fun sound, absolutely not for serious listening. It makes you want to dance and enjoying the music in that way. Being inside the music like a musically trip in a beautiful atmosphere.
I highly recommend them for their price (but it's already very expensive) for those who love bass-oriented signature and want to feel what I described but but I don't recommend them for people who don't like a powerful bass or want a neutral / flat signature (e.g. for people who exclusively listen to classical music).

Now I'm wondering, is it worth it to put more more money into IEMs with the same signature ? I was able to test more expensive IEMs (especially the Campfire Audio Atlas) and found the EST50 to be surprisingly better. Like the IER-Z1R or IEMs from Empire Ears (Legend X, Valkyries). How much they can be better ? Will the quality / price ratio be as good ? I would love to be able to compare them ...

EDIT : My source is a Topping E30 Dac / L30 Amp (rather warm source)

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #2,888 of 5,040
Now I'm wondering, is it worth it to put more more money into IEMs with the same signature ? I was able to test more expensive IEMs (especially the Campfire Audio Atlas) and found the EST50 to be surprisingly better. Like the IER-Z1R or IEMs from Empire Ears (Legend X, Valkyries). How much they can be better ? Will the quality / price ratio be as good ? I would love to be able to compare them ...

I’m currently deciding on my next purchases (EST50 feedback so far is very tempting me).

I think I hit my point of diminishing returns with the Penon Volts. Absolutely love them but to upgrade will have to pay nearer TOTL prices for small improvements or I could get something like the EST50 and YanYin Aladdin with cables and have spare change. For me I’d probably get more enjoyment with those 2 sets.

Aug 18, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #2,889 of 5,040
Damn, you know so much about tips. I will order your references soon by the way :stuck_out_tongue:
Yes, it will change the sound a lot, that's what I noticed with my tips collection. In my case, I use tips that fit very well in my ear for an incredible isolation (this is one of the many big strengths of the EST50) and that on the opposite, enhance the bass.

I share with what I can...
Tips-boxed.jpg

EDIT : My source is a Topping E30 Dac / L30 Amp (rather warm source)
One thing's sure, the Z1R will certainly outlast me. They are built to last, very high QC. Tuning wise they are end of game treble for me.
The major con, I need a more powerful dap for it to properly sing. A 50 Ω load is too much for me right now.

How about trying out the Volt? This set is a step up with a relatively same tuning family - smooth, warm, technical.
The Volts are Death metal tested, i.e. double pedal bass, very fast percussion, chaotic portions on tracks, vocal growl - and yet experience clarity, coherence, very good adsr/prat, Fantastic bass, excellent mids, realistic treble (they're EST receivers after all)
Sound field is large - about the size of a usd.2,999 full size headphone...

Attachments

• E-PRO.jpg
    E-PRO.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200702_223240.jpg
    IMG_20200702_223240.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210703_155334.jpg
    IMG_20210703_155334.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Aug 19, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #2,890 of 5,040
Thanks for your opinion! I understand your review and see what you mean.

The tuning of the EST50 is quite "unique" and "strange", at the first listen it can seem surprising. As you get used to the sound, we'll see how incredible and addictive they can be, as if we were immersed in the music and we were in the center. But with a point that can be eliminatory for you ... A dominant bass.

Maybe, you need to try some tips that reduce the bass given your tracklists and your ranking of your IEMs. They are very eartips dependent, I mean it. You can also play with EQ, they respond very well to the EQ, with a ~ -5 dB in low frequencies. If it's still too much ... It wasn't the right trybrids for you. Maybe you should check out EST112 or UM 3DT (not trybrid) which is less bass oriented.
Definitely! JVC Spiral Dots improved the sound by A LOT for me, especially since the stock tips were far from great. Final E tips fit alright but didn't help with the bass.

Aug 21, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #2,892 of 5,040
I’m currently deciding on my next purchases (EST50 feedback so far is very tempting me).

I think I hit my point of diminishing returns with the Penon Volts. Absolutely love them but to upgrade will have to pay nearer TOTL prices for small improvements or I could get something like the EST50 and YanYin Aladdin with cables and have spare change. For me I’d probably get more enjoyment with those 2 sets.

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. Was kinda busy these days. Unfortunately, I couldn't give you a comparison between the Volt and the EST50. I don't even know if they have the same signature. For me, it depends if you have already found the perfect signature for you. If Volts are a perfect match for you, then I see no reason for you to go to EST50 unless you are looking for something that hits hard in low frequencies with excellent stereo performance.

Looking at the reviews of the Volts and the IEMs you have, I get the impression you like bass. So I understand why you are interested in them. Where I'm afraid is that you only notice a change in the low frequencies, it will change a lot to the listening yes but if they are already almost equivalent ... It's risky, EST50 are still very expensive.

You've already reached a pretty high peak in IEMs and yes, the quality / price ratio will be obvious less good but I couldn't tell you how much. If I asked myself the same question as you, I will definitely go on EST50 because I already know I am basshead. And after that, think if this is the signature I want and go to TOTL list like Legend X or Valkyrie MK2. But ... already knowing the signature I want, I would never have bought the Penon Volt. At $800, I'd go straight to the TOTL.

Because EST50s have a very very very dominant bass and therefore, it's clearly not for everyone. It's made for people who like to bang, want to dance and tap their feet. You get the most out of these IEMs in rock, metal or electro music. Where you have low frequencies and a lot of detail.

I hope this can help you !

I share with what I can...
Tips-boxed.jpg

One thing's sure, the Z1R will certainly outlast me. They are built to last, very high QC. Tuning wise they are end of game treble for me.
The major con, I need a more powerful dap for it to properly sing. A 50 Ω load is too much for me right now.

How about trying out the Volt? This set is a step up with a relatively same tuning family - smooth, warm, technical.
The Volts are Death metal tested, i.e. double pedal bass, very fast percussion, chaotic portions on tracks, vocal growl - and yet experience clarity, coherence, very good adsr/prat, Fantastic bass, excellent mids, realistic treble (they're EST receivers after all)
Sound field is large - about the size of a usd.2,999 full size headphone...

Wow, tooo lot eartips 😄

Well ... One of the reasons I didn't go to the Volt at the time when they were launched, is that I thought it wasn't going to satisfy me in bass. And right now, it would bother me a little to buy IEMs that look very similar ... it doesn't bother me at - 300 € but 800€ with the new VAT isn't the same thing ahah

But I will be more curious to see the Z1R in action or the new Legend Evo. More expensive but could convince me to buy them. But actually, this craziness hasn't reached me yet, I'm totally satisfied by the EST50. We'll have to wait until next year !

Definitely! JVC Spiral Dots improved the sound by A LOT for me, especially since the stock tips were far from great. Final E tips fit alright but didn't help with the bass.

Xelastec and Spinfit can be a good choice too !

Someone have the ISN EST50 and the LEGEND X in order to compare the bass impact ?

Nobody my friend :frowning2:

Aug 21, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #2,893 of 5,040
Someone have the ISN EST50 and the LEGEND X in order to compare the bass impact ?

Yes. I just recently started really enjoying the EST50 now that they're burned in and paired the with the XELASTEC tips.

I found the EST50 superior (in terms of sound and FIT) for going to sleep with.

But the answer to your main question is that the EST50 can't come near the LX in terms of bass impact.

Aug 21, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #2,894 of 5,040
Aug 21, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #2,895 of 5,040
@Dsnuts Master, is there anything like EST50 but a half price? Call me cheapskate LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back