ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jun 23, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #2,461 of 5,030
DSC08227.JPG
Globe vs EST50.. So you can call the EST50 an evolution of the Globe sound. This being said sound balancing of the two earphones share some similarities and both having that physical bass presence. The difference is in the implementation of the sound bores which the EST50 has three and the Globes utilize two. I am certain one of the bores are throwing out mids and treble and the other for bass.

EST50 has 3 bores each bore representing the region of sound attached to the driver that is producing sound for that particular area of emphasis. So this design by default will give you better separation of the 3 zones of sound. Both do vocals amazingly well but since the treble is completely separated from the mids zones the mid bands has better definition. Both sound very dynamic full on. Globes has a touch more upper treble emphasis but it is the EST50 that has the better treble extension and sounds more complete for treble with a better sense of air due to the EST upper trebles sounds more rounded for treble notes due to the ESTs.

On graphs it looks like the Globes has slightly more bass emphasis but it is actually the EST50s which actually has the bass emphasis. Again it has a unique bass presentation as the Globes bass end sounds more like a full bodied earphone bass the EST50 is more approaching that speaker bass that I posted about earlier. Bass is somehow more forward sounding even though graphs shows that the globes actually has more bass emphasis about 12 dbs vs roughly 10 dbs in the EST50s.

This is a case of if you own the Globe and are happy with it, the slight enhancements with better imaging and separation on the EST50 with a slight increase of dynamics is just that as they both exhibit a lot of the similar musical traits of that Penon sound. You want your treble to be separated as well as that room filling bass then yes the EST50 is the next level but for Globe owners the EST50 might be a bit too similar in sound signature for you. EST50 does exhibit better technicalities both having very similar sound stages depth and height of sound. It will be more a matter of if you want some EST magic attached to your upper trebles and a newer silicone dynamic doing bass duties that is more a kin to a woofer type bass.

I feel both earphone are priced according to what they have to offer. If you are on the fence to get the EST50 that my friend will be up to you but as they say.
This is headfi!

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #2,462 of 5,030

From left to right. Orbs, Globes,EST50, H40
I call this the musical crew!

As you can see the shells of the EST50 has a similar shape to the H40 but is not as bulky.

2nd day of run in and listening. The included cable is the ISN staple the ISN S8 which is a standard silver plated copper cable. Is most definitely better than most throw in cables but would have been nice if they came with something like this.

ISN AG8 balanced out to my Ibasso PB3 amp. Sounds fantabulous. Now we are talking. Full potential of the EST50s are realized with this particular cable. ISN AG8 is one of the thickest pure silver cables in existence. Due to the warmer tuning of the EST50s I am all about pure silver on the EST50.

Inclusion of the AG8 gives a wider sense of stage with enhancement to technicalities in general, imaging, sound separation and details just pop. Treble has better articulation. Gives a cleaner sound with an immersion factor which is cranked up several notices with this cable. Bass sound amazing with this cable as it tightens the bass end yet the core tuning and sound balancing remains. I have always loved this cable and this is a case where ISN made this cable over a year ago just to wait for the EST50s to arrive. The synergy with this cable and the EST50 is a perfect match.
Stage is similarly large to the FD5 but with a more balanced FR vs FD5s more V shaped tuning. Lower mids has greater presence and has a richer tone vs FD5. Treble does not have a 8Khz spike either so sounds more smoother vs the FD5. I will do a better comparison soon but this is just off of my head.

SA6 is got the balancing and technical level of the EST50 but EST50 is much more dynamic sounding due to the physical bass presenation. As good as the bass end of the SA6 is the EST50 rumbles like a woofer and digs much deeper. Mids presence is comparable between both IEMs EST50 having the upper treble extension and detail due to the ESTs. More importantly the EST50 is tuned to be a bit more immersive vs more monitor by the numbers balancing of the SA6. Might be a good thing or bad depending on how you see it.
I want buy new iem . Dunu Sa6 or isn est50 is better ?which one do you prefer

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #2,463 of 5,030
That depends if your a bass fan I would most definitely go with the EST50 if you want more of a monitor type sound with a clean balancing with very good BA bass the SA6 is highly regarded for a reason. Compared to the EST50 though it just dont sound as dynamic but some folks might like that presentation better. I can do a more complete comparison tomorrow as I spent most of my evening listening back n forth the Penon Globe and EST50s

Jun 23, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #2,464 of 5,030
@Dsnuts any plan to compare EST50 to TSMR Land?

Thanks

Jun 23, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #2,465 of 5,030
That depends if your a bass fan I would most definitely go with the EST50 if you want more of a monitor type sound with a clean balancing with very good BA bass the SA6 is highly regarded for a reason. Compared to the EST50 though it just dont sound as dynamic but some folks might like that presentation better. I can do a more complete comparison tomorrow as I spent most of my evening listening back n forth the Penon Globe and EST50s
Plese do a detailed comparison with Land also.

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #2,466 of 5,030
DSC08227.JPG
Globe vs EST50.. So you can call the EST50 an evolution of the Globe sound. This being said sound balancing of the two earphones share some similarities and both having that physical bass presence. The difference is in the implementation of the sound bores which the EST50 has three and the Globes utilize two. I am certain one of the bores are throwing out mids and treble and the other for bass.

EST50 has 3 bores each bore representing the region of sound attached to the driver that is producing sound for that particular area of emphasis. So this design by default will give you better separation of the 3 zones of sound. Both do vocals amazingly well but since the treble is completely separated from the mids zones the mid bands has better definition. Both sound very dynamic full on. Globes has a touch more upper treble emphasis but it is the EST50 that has the better treble extension and sounds more complete for treble with a better sense of air due to the EST upper trebles sounds more rounded for treble notes due to the ESTs.

On graphs it looks like the Globes has slightly more bass emphasis but it is actually the EST50s which actually has the bass emphasis. Again it has a unique bass presentation as the Globes bass end sounds more like a full bodied earphone bass the EST50 is more approaching that speaker bass that I posted about earlier. Bass is somehow more forward sounding even though graphs shows that the globes actually has more bass emphasis about 12 dbs vs roughly 10 dbs in the EST50s.

This is a case of if you own the Globe and are happy with it, the slight enhancements with better imaging and separation on the EST50 with a slight increase of dynamics is just that as they both exhibit a lot of the similar musical traits of that Penon sound. You want your treble to be separated as well as that room filling bass then yes the EST50 is the next level but for Globe owners the EST50 might be a bit too similar in sound signature for you. EST50 does exhibit better technicalities both having very similar sound stages depth and height of sound. It will be more a matter of if you want some EST magic attached to your upper trebles and a newer silicone dynamic doing bass duties that is more a kin to a woofer type bass.

I feel both earphone are priced according to what they have to offer. If you are on the fence to get the EST50 that my friend will be up to you but as they say.
This is headfi!
Cheers for the overview @Dsnuts!
I somehow knew both Globe & EST50 gonna be close san the specific improvements you spoke off and I think the EST alone is enough to justify the purchase! :L3000:

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #2,467 of 5,030

This is headfi!

Based on your initial comparison, I might stick with my Globe as I find the bass already satisfying. A little more would be too much for my ears I think. The H40 is an impressive IEM with some aspects I didn't like but it's good to see that the EST50 does better in terms of air and treble extension. Looking forward to reading your final review with comparisons. Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #2,468 of 5,030
@Penon these 2 looks stunnig!!! :)
I love the one on left!

ISN-EST50.png

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #2,469 of 5,030
So a bit of a surprise. Much like how I experienced the volt after burn in. We have a tonal shift. At about 50 hours of music run in.

Up until last night tonally the EST50 was leaning a touch warmer in tone. It is not as warm sounding anymore meaning I am hearing an increase of treble emphasis and tightening of the bass end which is exactly what I wanted from the EST50. So the EST50 I am gonna suggest a solid burn in cycle.

It is the bass end and the EST upper treble that needs the burn in more so than the BAs.

Due to the tonal shift I am gonna have to revisit some comaprisons I have planned.

I just tested out one of my main bass tracks for sub bass. OH MAN! Wow. Sub bass texture is insane on these. Believe me, DO NOT JUDGE BASS ON OPEN LISTEN.! Was the only aspect of the EST50 I was a bit concerned with but I had faith things will change and lo n behold they have. More on this later. Burn in is highly recommended/ required.

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #2,470 of 5,030
Cheers for the overview @Dsnuts!
I somehow knew both Globe & EST50 gonna be close san the specific improvements you spoke off and I think the EST alone is enough to justify the purchase! :L3000:

Based on your initial comparison, I might stick with my Globe as I find the bass already satisfying. A little more would be too much for my ears I think. The H40 is an impressive IEM with some aspects I didn't like (driver flex, size, midbass hump) but it's good to see that the EST50 does better in terms of air and treble extension. Looking forward to reading your final review with comparisons. Thanks!

I am gonna have to revisit the Globe vs EST50 comparison once I am fully done with the EST50 burn in cycle as I have discovered they are not at their full capacity quite yet. So this is more a testament to how good the Globe is vs an earphone with extra drivers more so than what the EST50 has to offer. Globes at their full capacity is maximizing each driver. EST50 might compete with much more higher end offerings once they are firing off on all fronts, we will see. They are sounding better and better each day.

Sound signature is identical but you can look at the EST50 as an uber version of the Globes. I plan on spending some time to do a more proper comparison on my review so be on the look out for that.

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #2,471 of 5,030
Model: EST50

Driver: liquid silicone diaphragm dynamic

Sonion 2356 balanced armature

Knowles 30095 balanced armature

2 Sonion Electrostatic driver

So I knew about the BA drivers and the EST drivers being used on the EST50 but I had no idea ISN was gonna use a brand new style of dynamic driver. I do believe this is the firsts time I have ever heard a liquid silicone diaphragm dynamic. Which is a mouth full.

I am gonna say for perspective buyers. You have to be a fan of bass presence on the EST50 much like how bass is present on the H40. Bass tonality is different on the EST50, I don't know if the idea of the EST50 driver implimentation was more to mimic speakers but the bass end of the EST50 reminds me more of floor speakers in now they perform. Bass end being basically rubber in material has a much slower decay so sub bass notes linger much like how a vented sub woofer does. Bass has a differnt level of texture than just about any other earphone I have heard. I can see some cause of contention here for the bass end on these but I for one am happy ISN is trying out a new driver. Something entirely new. This type of bass has to be heard to understand but I am just trying to wrap my heap around it and there is no other way to describe what I am hearing. The sound presenation is decidedly speaker like.

If you have an affinity for some bold bass these have it but it also has very good balancing to go along with that bold bass. Bass end sounds bit beefy and one note out of the box. My sample has been burning in since last night and bass is starting to take shape. Rumble of these woofers are addictive but I highly recommend some run in before any serious listening.
I remember how H40 felt upon first listen.............Goosebumps...........Spectacular analogue floor speaker alike addictive bass ...........i was impressed the moment i heard it and since then i have stated many times in different threads here that the only iem -floor speaker alike- since now in my small collection is H40 .
i cannot even imagine an upgrade to H40s sound right now.........

Jun 23, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #2,472 of 5,030
3rd day. The tonal shift I posted about earlier is now the set tonal quality which sounds very natural and balanced. Sound is approaching liquid smooth at this point. It is surprising how good this Sonion BA is for mids as everything has body to the sound but now doesn't sound as warm is it did on open listen. For guys that own the Globes you will recognize how the mids are tuned on the EST50 which is to say is very balanced with the treble and for having a brawny bass end is really is balanced well.
DSC08229.JPG
What is clear to me when I do these comparisons is just how complete each one of these earphones sound unto their own. It is when you start to go back n forth what contrast each phone has vs the other. As I posted about sound bores last night when comparing to the Globes dual bore design. The EST50 having 3. The Tansio Mirai LAND has 4.

This in turn gives even a better separation of notes when heard overall leading to better imaging. LAND specialty is its ability to portray a very complete treble, detail, excellent transients clarity, slight reverb in treble decay for treble notes that give treble some shimmer and sparkle. LAND is for folks that want their treble and bass. The other aspect that is added to the LAND is that it uses two BAs for the mids. I noticed Layering of the mid bands is increased as well as imaging due to this double BA design. This aspect becomes even better on their new flagship the Sparks.

This comparison was done using optimized cables as I refuse to use the stock cable that came with the LAND. So LAND is using the PAC480 and the EST50 using ISN AG8.

The crazy thing is when you listen to the EST50s there is really not much drop off even though it is using one BA for the mids. LAND is more of a shallow U shaped sound tuning so mids take a slight step back from the treble and the bass emphasis. You can say the EST50 is more of a L shaped sound signature as the sub bass end has the most emphasis over the entire sound. Again due to the sound design mids are more forward in balancing on the EST50 added a more forward bass signature.

For fans of detailed extended EST treble the LAND has greater treble emphasis especially lower treble and both the EST50 and the LAND exhibit excellent extension. LAND sound a touch cleaner due to having more treble energy for the sound. Both exhibiting some outstanding bass. Due to the mids being a bit more relaxed in presence LAND has some outstanding stage. In fact has a wider stage then the flagship Sparks. LANDs exhibit an uptick in imaging but for folks that love their rich mids to be upfront the EST50 has more mids presence than the LAND. LAND makes up for the slightly laid back mids with a broader mid range. A wide mid range presence gives the perfect tool for listening to larger live set pieces and it sounds marvelous.

EST50 gives you that vocal intimacy and analogue like musical euphoric presentation that is missing in a lot of hybrids now a days. In many ways I feel the EST50 sounds just as good as the LAND especially with the ISN AG8 cable, which ironically would cost the price of the LAND. And these two actually compliment with a different sound signature. LAND has better technicalities with more treble presence. EST50 has a slightly dialed down treble presence in comparison especially for lower treble but makes up for it on the other end. Sub bass is great on both earphones but EST50 sub bass is STOUT. So it will come down to if you want your mids to be more forward with a bold bass end or a wider more technical sound with treble and sub bass that has greater emphasis than the mids of the LAND. LAND represents one of the best technical yet fun sound signatures. A much cheaper alternative to the Sony IER Z1R. vs the EST50 and absolute full bodied musical analoguish brute sub bass killa thrilla with very good technical chops sprinkled with dual ESTs that liven up the entire sound. A bold and rich flavored Tribrid design that is starting to take shape as one of the best in the price range.

When I did my Spark review and was listening to the flagship Tansio Mirai earphone. I was wondering what the Spark would sound like with a stout dynamic. I think I got my answer. For folks that are getting a set soon..

You all are in for a treat. After burn in that is.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #2,473 of 5,030
Thank you for the comparison @Dsnuts

Jun 23, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #2,474 of 5,030
3rd day. The tonal shift I posted about earlier is now the set tonal quality which sounds very natural and balanced. Sound is approaching liquid smooth at this point. It is surprising how good this Sonion BA is for mids as everything has body to the sound but now doesn't sound as warm is it did on open listen. For guys that own the Globes you will recognize how the mids are tuned on the EST50 which is to say is very balanced with the treble and for having a brawny bass end is really is balanced well.
DSC08229.JPG
What is clear to me when I do these comparisons is just how complete each one of these earphones sound unto their own. It is when you start to go back n forth what contrast each phone has vs the other. As I posted about sound bores last night when comparing to the Globes dual bore design. The EST50 having 3. The Tansio Mirai LAND has 4.

This in turn gives even a better separation of notes when heard overall leading to better imaging. LAND specialty is its ability to portray a very complete treble, detail, excellent transients clarity, slight reverb in treble decay for treble notes that give treble some shimmer and sparkle. LAND is for folks that want their treble and bass. The other aspect that is added to the LAND is that it uses two BAs for the mids. I noticed Layering of the mid bands is increased as well as imaging due to this double BA design. This aspect becomes even better on their new flagship the Sparks.

This comparison was done using optimized cables as I refuse to use the stock cable that came with the LAND. So LAND is using the PAC480 and the EST50 using ISN AG8.

The crazy thing is when you listen to the EST50s there is really not much drop off even though it is using one BA for the mids. LAND is more of a shallow U shaped sound tuning so mids take a sight step back from the treble and the bass emphasis. You can say the EST50 is more of a L shaped sound signature as the sub bass end has the most emphasis over the entire sound. Again due to the sound design mids are more forward in balancing on the EST50 added a more forward bass signature.

For fans of detailed extended EST treble the LAND has greater treble emphasis especially lower treble and both the EST50 and the LAND exhibit excellent extension. LAND sound a touch cleaner due to having more treble energy for the sound. Both exhibiting some outstanding bass. Due to the mids being a bit more relaxed in presence LAND has some outstanding stage. In fact has a wider stage then the flagship Sparks. LANDs exhibit an uptick in imaging but for folks that love their rich mids to be upfront the EST50 has more mids presence than the LAND. LAND makes up for the slightly laid back mids with a broader mid range. A wide mid range presence gives the perfect tool for listening to larger live set pieces and it sounds marvelous.

EST50 gives you that vocal intimacy and analogue like musical euphoric presentation that is missing in a lot of hybrids now a days. In many ways I feel the EST50 sounds just as good as the LAND especially with the ISN AG8 cable, which ironically would cost the price of the LAND. And these two actually compliment with a different sound signature. LAND has better technicalities with more treble presence. EST50 has a slightly dialed down treble presence in comparison especially for lower treble but makes up for it on the other end. Sub bass is great on both earphones but EST50 sub bass is STOUT. So it will come down to if you want your mids to be more forward with a bold bass end or a wider more technical sound with treble and sub bass that has greater emphasis than the mids of the LAND. LAND represents one of the best technical yet fun sound signatures. A much cheaper alternative to the Sony IER Z1R. vs the EST50 and absolute full bodied musical analoguish brute sub bass killa thrilla with very good technical chops sprinkled with dual ESTs that liven up the entire sound. A bold and rich flavored Tribrid design that is starting to take shape as one of the best in the price range.

When I did my Spark review and was listening to the flagship Tansio Mirai earphone. I was wondering what the Spark would sound like with a stout dynamic. I think I got my answer. For folks that are getting a set soon..

You all are in for a treat. After burn in that is.
Land will reach me by this weekend, and I simply cannot wait! After reading this I feel even more that I made the right choice!

Jun 24, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #2,475 of 5,030
PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back