ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jun 21, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #2,431 of 5,038
IMG_4577.JPG
So ISN has finally moved over to a 2 pin configuration. The new slick all blue box is a brand new design for the ISN crew and I was told the version I have is finalized meaning everything is brand new on the EST50 down to the new case they included with the box.

Build quality is superb and the shell shape and size is pretty much identical to the old ISN H40. I can post a pic side by side next to the H40 and it looks like the same shell. So if the H40 fit nicely for you the shells are practically the same.

What is different however is ISN has taken off the kid gloves for this one. The large shells incorporate 5 drivers, hence the naming scheme which always makes sense with ISN IEMs. EST50 incorporates a 10mm dynamic +2BAs + 2EST drivers. This driver configuration has been done before but at a much higher cost https://penonaudio.com/oriolus-percivali.html.. The difference from something like this Oriolus Percivali vs the EST50.. Hmm well the cable itself probably cost half the price of that IEM. As per sound. I have no idea just how the EST50 would stack up to that but I do know how it stacks up to previous ISN earphones.

In looking at the graph for the EST50, it has a striking resemblance to the Penon Volts more so than the H40. I can say to my ears these are some where in between the refinements and balancing of the Volts with the dynamism and staging of the H40 so the pricing is correct.

So what makes the EST50 worth 100% more in price gain over the H40? It is a much more refined H40 with a sound tuning/ balancing similar to the Penon Volts. That smooth rich musicality with a deep wide dimensional stage is there. Each portion of the sound design got a reboot. Everything has weight to it from the lowest of bass notes to the highest of the treble. Everything has excellent texture to the sound again from the lowest of bass notes to the highest of treble notes. I can hear subtle but clearly refined aspects of the tuning that makes them sound as engaging as the ISN brand has ever produced. This sound is everything you loved about the H40 but more refined. Sound profile is as tall as it is deep with that wide stage you all loved about the H40s.

ISN earphones are all about musicality getting that full body of sound and this time around the treble gets a bit more cooking in the oven and now has ESTs to give it some air some pop a realness to treble notes that much higher end earphones exhibit. The balancing, the superb coherency and the tonal qualities are expertly crafted to get you an earphone that is as engaging as anything I have heard all year. These are by far ISNs best sounding earphones and this is using the ISN S8 which comes included with it.

Be warned however I can tell the EST50s are not 100% full on and the bass dynamics are a bit rough out of the box but after letting them play for a few hours I can hear how the sound is shaping up and yes these only have about 3 hours of run in meaning I fully expect them to sound even better than what I am reporting here.

So why buy the Volts if the EST50s sound this good? Well Volts takes this particular sound to yet another level as it incorporates 2 highly regarded Sonion BAs for mids. EST50s are using a single BA. A double BA configuration if done correct gives a greater sense of layering and I do notice a bit wider stage on the Volts otherwise the sound balancing/ tuning and the rich tonal qualities are very similar. Yet the EST50 has its own character.

Sound is superbly dynamic, it is encompassing, it is lavishly unapologetically rich in tone, vocals sound superb, Imaging is right up there with much higher end offerings. Treble detail is most definitely a step up from the H40s smoother silkier in tone, I will have to compare them but these remind me a bit of the recent Tansio Marai Land in dynamics but with more forward mids.

If you guys have never owned an EST tribrid. I really cant think of a better one to get into right now than these. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up from me. More to come.
These are begging me to try some nicer cables.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #2,432 of 5,038
I will have to compare them but these remind me a bit of the recent Tansio Marai Land in dynamics but with more forward mids.
Thank you for the impression
Yes, would like to read your comparison between EST50 and Land especially on the lower and higher freq extension.

TIA

Jun 22, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #2,433 of 5,038
Thanks for the early impressions @Dsnuts.

A few comparison requests, if I may:

- Dunu SA6
- FiiO FD5

Both would be apples-to-oranges comparisons, but roughly within the same price tier, and both popular units with reputations for above-average technicalities.

TIA.

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #2,434 of 5,038
Thank you for the impression
Yes, would like to read your comparison between EST50 and Land especially on the lower and higher freq extension.

TIA
This is what I am very much interested in! Land vs. EST50!

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #2,436 of 5,038
IMG_4577.JPG
So ISN has finally moved over to a 2 pin configuration. The new slick all blue box is a brand new design for the ISN crew and I was told the version I have is finalized meaning everything is brand new on the EST50 down to the new case they included with the box.

Build quality is superb and the shell shape and size is pretty much identical to the old ISN H40. I can post a pic side by side next to the H40 and it looks like the same shell. So if the H40 fit nicely for you the shells are practically the same.

What is different however is ISN has taken off the kid gloves for this one. The large shells incorporate 5 drivers, hence the naming scheme which always makes sense with ISN IEMs. EST50 incorporates a 10mm dynamic +2BAs + 2EST drivers. This driver configuration has been done before but at a much higher cost https://penonaudio.com/oriolus-percivali.html.. The difference from something like this Oriolus Percivali vs the EST50.. Hmm well the cable itself probably cost half the price of that IEM. As per sound. I have no idea just how the EST50 would stack up to that but I do know how it stacks up to previous ISN earphones.

In looking at the graph for the EST50, it has a striking resemblance to the Penon Volts more so than the H40. I can say to my ears these are some where in between the refinements and balancing of the Volts with the dynamism and staging of the H40 so the pricing is correct.

So what makes the EST50 worth 100% more in price gain over the H40? It is a much more refined H40 with a sound tuning/ balancing similar to the Penon Volts. That smooth rich musicality with a deep wide dimensional stage is there. Each portion of the sound design got a reboot. Everything has weight to it from the lowest of bass notes to the highest of the treble. Everything has excellent texture to the sound again from the lowest of bass notes to the highest of treble notes. I can hear subtle but clearly refined aspects of the tuning that makes them sound as engaging as the ISN brand has ever produced. This sound is everything you loved about the H40 but more refined. Sound profile is as tall as it is deep with that wide stage you all loved about the H40s.

ISN earphones are all about musicality getting that full body of sound and this time around the treble gets a bit more cooking in the oven and now has ESTs to give it some air some pop a realness to treble notes that much higher end earphones exhibit. The balancing, the superb coherency and the tonal qualities are expertly crafted to get you an earphone that is as engaging as anything I have heard all year. These are by far ISNs best sounding earphones and this is using the ISN S8 which comes included with it.

Be warned however I can tell the EST50s are not 100% full on and the bass dynamics are a bit rough out of the box but after letting them play for a few hours I can hear how the sound is shaping up and yes these only have about 3 hours of run in meaning I fully expect them to sound even better than what I am reporting here.

So why buy the Volts if the EST50s sound this good? Well Volts takes this particular sound to yet another level as it incorporates 2 highly regarded Sonion BAs for mids. EST50s are using a single BA. A double BA configuration if done correct gives a greater sense of layering and I do notice a bit wider stage on the Volts otherwise the sound balancing/ tuning and the rich tonal qualities are very similar. Yet the EST50 has its own character.

Sound is superbly dynamic, it is encompassing, it is lavishly unapologetically rich in tone, vocals sound superb, Imaging is right up there with much higher end offerings. Treble detail is most definitely a step up from the H40s smoother silkier in tone, I will have to compare them but these remind me a bit of the recent Tansio Marai Land in dynamics but with more forward mids.

If you guys have never owned an EST tribrid. I really cant think of a better one to get into right now than these. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up from me. More to come.
I hate 2 pin connections :frowning2:

The cables of my two pin iems are always falling off.

There's nothing better than the secure fit of mmcx.

Jun 22, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #2,440 of 5,038
IMG_4577.JPG

Oh man......................this is so ****ing temtpting....................
you are responsible for introducing me to the H40 music wonder bro..............
till now it's by far my all time favorable iem bro...........
****............................................have to save again money, BIT TIME now bro.................... hating you right now @Dsnuts ...................:disappointed::weary::persevere::confounded:

Jun 22, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #2,442 of 5,038
IMG_4577.JPG

What's the air, timbre, extension, and resolution in the highs? You know my beef with the Trio was that area was lacking, with very claustrophobic highs, big bass and slightly recessed mids. I wasn't impressed with resolution for a $600 IEM. Are these more like the SFR MT300 or the Tape Pro, where there's great timbre and air, or like the Trio or the Dunu, with polite highs?

Jun 22, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #2,443 of 5,038
I like my customers and children to be polite...not my IEM's treble.

Jun 22, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #2,444 of 5,038
I like my customers and children to be polite...not my IEM's treble.
You need to get youself a Tansio Mirai LAND and be done with. That is the earphone for you.
EST50s take more of a balanced approach but I know your tendencies for treble and I do put the LAND a bit above in resolution air clarity and detail above the EST50. It is the more technically tuned IEM vs the EST50 more musical full bodied presentation.

All in due time folks. I am gonna burn in the EST50 to get the best out of em and then I will be able to do some comparisons. Guess what just got on the market.
https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-est50.html

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #2,445 of 5,038
Thanks for the early impressions @Dsnuts.

A few comparison requests, if I may:

- Dunu SA6
- FiiO FD5

Both would be apples-to-oranges comparisons, but roughly within the same price tier, and both popular units with reputations for above-average technicalities.

TIA.

Stage is similarly large to the FD5 but with a more balanced FR vs FD5s more V shaped tuning. Lower mids has greater presence and has a richer tone vs FD5. Treble does not have a 8Khz spike either so sounds more smoother vs the FD5. I will do a better comparison soon but this is just off of my head.

SA6 is got the balancing and technical level of the EST50 but EST50 is much more dynamic sounding due to the physical bass presenation. As good as the bass end of the SA6 is the EST50 rumbles like a woofer and digs much deeper. Mids presence is comparable between both IEMs EST50 having the upper treble extension and detail due to the ESTs. More importantly the EST50 is tuned to be a bit more immersive vs more monitor by the numbers balancing of the SA6. Might be a good thing or bad depending on how you see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back