ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Sep 24, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #3,841 of 5,038
Thanks for that. I was debating the H50 or the EST50 and went for the latter. @Redcarmoose gave me the last bit of advice I needed. I think I made the right decision as I am not into too high treble.
You did the right decision all right..
Treble on H50 is more forward bright and a touch of aggressive too.. compared to EST50 the later is much more of a complete all rounder always IMHO..
Smooth bust VAST in the same time..
Rich and detailed BUT not dry and analytical...
Best choise ever regarding the tribrids I ve heard so far.. ...... .
PS...
That track of Susumu Yokota you just posted (besides being a masterpiece) also proves EST50s majesty in recreating a rich and heavily atmospheric sense of stage as far as psychoacoustics goes...

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #3,843 of 5,038
I haven´t heard the EST50 but I agree that the treble of the H50 is somewhat aggressive. I don't see it as exaggerated but there it is....

The treble of the EST50 is warmer?
More relaxed / polished / smoother overall, but not lacking by any means at the same time in energy and information resulting thus way in a really engaging and natural presentation.
Resolution also is simply phenomenal

Sep 24, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #3,844 of 5,038
More relaxed / polished / smoother overall, but not lacking by any means at the same time in energy and information resulting thus way in a really engaging and natural presentation.
Resolution also is simply phenomenal
Would you consider the EST50 better than the H50 for aggressive ,and sometimes not very well recorded, music like punk/post-punk?

I like the H50 and I think it's a great iem but I would prefer a quieter profile in the treble and mid highs.

Cheers.

Sep 24, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #3,845 of 5,038
Would you consider the EST50 better than the H50 for aggressive ,and sometimes not very well recorded, music like punk/post-punk?

I like the H50 and I think it's a great iem but I would prefer a quieter profile in the treble and mid highs.

Cheers.
ABSOLUTELY BETTER
listen.. it's a bombastic presentation towards the lower end BUT as far as mids/highs goes it is a smooth as butter experience with very sweet and rich /full SONION quality vocals and EST alike informative and polished treble.
To be more precise here its the absolute opposite of an aggressive presentation. No edgy sound whatsoever, regardless of the file or the quality of the recordings. It's price is the one and only downside BUT upon you listen to them you ll understand our of the box what the price stands for......

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #3,846 of 5,038
ABSOLUTELY BETTER
listen.. it's a bombastic presentation towards the lower end BUT as far as mids/highs goes it is a smooth as butter experience with very sweet and rich /full SONION quality vocals and EST alike informative and polished treble.
To be more precise here its the absolute opposite of an aggressive presentation. No edgy sound whatsoever, regardless of the file or the quality of the recordings. It's price is the one and only downside BUT upon you listen to them you ll understand our of the box what the price stands for......
Do you all think the same?

I'm looking for more softness and not so much aggressiveness in the upper zones.

Thank you very much @alexandros a !!!!!

Sep 24, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #3,847 of 5,038
I would like to add one last thing...
If you read @Redcarmoose s both reviews on H50 & EST50, particularly on H50 uses the headline PARADISE....
That's my only hesitation/disagreement on those reviews..
I would give that headline on EST50 s....
Cheers....

Sep 24, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #3,848 of 5,038
If you read @Redcarmoose s both reviews on H50 & EST50, particularly on H50 uses the headline PARADISE....
Cheers....
Of course... I understand that audio is a subjective matter and there are those who prefer the H50 over the EST50.

In any case both are great iems!!!!

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #3,849 of 5,038
Do you all think the same?

I'm looking for more softness and not so much aggressiveness in the upper zones.

Thank you very much @alexandros a !!!!!

The EST handle the ultra high frequencies well in a non fatiguing manner. No hint of sibilance for me. Even with the powerful bass there’s good resolution with the treble (and mids of course) but not overdone like some V sound signature.

Sep 25, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #3,850 of 5,038
Cheers....
Well, I’m doing pretty good if only the titles disagree with you! The H50 is like (in a way) an opposite of the EST50, where the boosts in the treble and that spark in the mids do promote a slight intensity. Yet if you’re open to such, it doesn’t seem bright, only resolving and slightly forward. I don’t know........I have just spent a while again with the H50, listening to some Commercial Rock, Grunge, some Heavy Metal and some New Age music. What was amazing was how the H50 was kind to the 1992 grunge. It made the 1992 album sound fresh and vibrant (once again using its skills to unearth older more dull albums and add life). At the same time it technically represented the modern Heavy Metal with correct guitars, holding not an ounce of BA timbre, well there may has been a fraction, but it went by unnoticed? The New Age was big and involving......what can I say.....these are correct to my ears, and more than correct, I could take them off to a deserted island and use them for years and be happy. More than that, they seem to be getting even better to my ears. Not as big sounding as maybe some TOTLs, but still big and musically satisfying?

What is really uncanny is the H50 plays everything, even albums I think will sound bad, sound great, and with some new remasters..... better than I have ever heard them? Maybe the most well rounded IEM I have ever come in contact with? I’m now using a wide bore/close to nozzle tips and the included H50 cable with a Walkman WM1A with MrWalkman’s firmware.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #3,851 of 5,038
Well, I’m doing pretty good if only the titles disagree with you! The H50 is like (in a way) an opposite of the EST50, where the boosts in the treble and that spark in the mids do promote a slight intensity. Yet if you’re open to such, it doesn’t seem bright, only resolving and slightly forward. I don’t know........I have just spent a while again with the H50, listening to some Commercial Rock, Grunge, some Heavy Metal and some New Age music. What was amazing was how the H50 was kind to the 1992 grunge. It made the 1992 album sound fresh and vibrant (once again using its skills to unearth older more dull albums and add life). At the same time it technically represented the modern Heavy Metal with correct guitars, holding not an ounce of BA timbre, well there may has been a fraction, but it went by unnoticed? The New Age was big and involving......what can I say.....these are correct to my ears, and more than correct, I could take them off to a deserted island and use them for years and be happy. More than that, they seem to be getting even better to my ears. Not as big sounding as maybe some TOTLs, but still big and musically satisfying?

What is really uncanny is the H50 plays everything, even albums I think will sound bad, sound great, and with some new remasters..... better than I have ever heard them? Maybe the most well rounded IEM I have ever come in contact with? I’m now using a wide bore/close to nozzle tips and the included H50 cable with a Walkman WM1A with MrWalkman’s firmware.
Hell yes man.. . I guess you re doing pretty good indeed !
To fulfill your fertile comments above,
I was so darn happy when I heard for the very first time H50 monitors that I wasn't believing what I was hearing actually...!!
My review on those was titled :
" 300 bucks TOTL? ".......
That and only shows how incredibly amazed was I....
It is a bright signature no doubt about it
( anyone have heard Rose Technics BR5MKII or Fearless S6Rui can confirm that pretty good...)
BUT avoiding being sibilant/hot/metallic /artificial sounding makes H50 a great treble forward monitor... I even compared it with UM MEXT which I got earlier back those days and besides being a 1000 buck monitor it's absolutely true that I liked and do like till these days H50 more, even for long term listening sessions...
my only hesitation on this set would be slightly whatsoever sub bass distortion but only to be found in very high pitched volume randomly and rarely there...
EST50s came later and till now being puzzled and hesitant about writing any kind of a review about em, finding out too difficult to explain publicly what the heck makes them so special to me besodes their tuning.... Maybe it's their elliptical
dimensional stage, maybe it's their tremendous resolution, maybe it's their layering and deep atmospheric sound...
and so on.....
At the end of the day I trully doubt that I can /or want to search for anything else so close to my personal preference.....
I have entered the BASS island maybe.. Who can tell???

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #3,852 of 5,038
Fearless S6Rui
I some reason can’t hold the Fearless Audio S6Rui and H50 being the same at all? Where the S6Rui IS bright and displays metallic sheen, the H50 is not really bright like that. In fact to me the H50 has some of the intensity of the Rui, but wins out being far more spacious in soundstage, better in rhythm and more lifelike in realism? So maybe it’s my hearing..........but I don’t hear it as that, where if you blend with a signature, it’s not bright, only detailed and interesting? I would never have to take a break from using the H50, where the Fearless is way too intense and makes playability limited to a short time? To me the H50 is 5X the monitor, over the Rui?

Never heard UM MEXT or Rose Technics BR5MKII.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #3,853 of 5,038
I some reason can’t hold the Fearless Audio S6Rui and H50 being the same at all? Where the S6Rui IS bright and displays metallic sheen, the H50 is not really bright like that. In fact to me the H50 has some of the intensity of the Rui, but wins out being far more spacious in soundstage, better in rhythm and more lifelike in realism? So maybe it’s my hearing..........but I don’t hear it as that, where if you blend with a signature, it’s not bright, only detailed and interesting? I would never have to take a break from using the H50, where the Fearless is way too intense and makes playability limited to a short time? To me the H50 is 5X the monitor, over the Rui?

Never heard UM MEXT or Rose Technics BR5MKII.
As far as intensity goes S6Rui is by far the most intense monitor( if I may use this term) I have ever ever experienced, thus limiting the listening session big time there or having to turn downwards the volume knob a few times... I do not really use those any more these days you know.... Not only because of that reason but mainly because the timbre seems really artificial (or too much BA???) against newer monitors . Another serious flaw IMHO there would be the hot and piercing (occasionally) higher treble which makes it very difficult to tolerate in some tracks.. It is also a bit dry and rigid on the bass region compared to other single dynamic (and much less expensive monitors) like Anew U1 (natural/ rich /textured and fully articulated bombastic bass)
S6Rui is a night and day situation compared to H50, and even on the time that originally appeared on the market anyone who had in hands that time a monitor like DM6 for example was a happy person and didn't had the urge to get S6Rui at all.... (I consider that purchase not a wise one for me....) a hint of self - criticism never hurt anyone......

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #3,854 of 5,038
Well, the Fearless S6 Rui is to me a rare IEM. Being it’s just so tweaked-up and owning BA timbre. At the beginning I had no issues with it, but in time I started really to take the IEM for what it was. Where in the beginning the Rui seemed to hold all kinds of detail and really for the money that amount of detail was good. But over time.........after a while it was just too much? Where if anything such an example goes to show just how far this hobby has gone in a few short years. Same with BGVP DM6.....we both have the same history. Still I think the DM6 is better, yet it’s almost 1/2 less money than the S6 Rui. So for the money when they came out in 2018, they were OK. Looking back and still trying both out from time to time, to me it validates my understanding of the ISN H50. With out contrasts as times, it’s hard to judge things........but where the H50 is still relatively mellow in comparison to the S6 Rui, also it’s so much better in so many ways than the DM6, it’s not even funny.....and I purchased two pairs of DM6 when they came out! But to summarize here the DM6 and Fearless S6 Rui sound un-natural, where the H50 seems to parley music like it was intended?
As far as intensity goes S6Rui is by far the most intense monitor( if I may use this term) I have ever ever experienced, thus limiting the listening session big time there or having to turn downwards the volume knob a few times... I do not really use those any more these days you know.... Not only because of that reason but mainly because the timbre seems really artificial (or too much BA???) against newer monitors . Another serious flaw IMHO there would be the hot and piercing (occasionally) higher treble which makes it very difficult to tolerate in some tracks.. It is also a bit dry and rigid on the bass region compared to other single dynamic (and much less expensive monitors) like Anew U1 (natural/ rich /textured and fully articulated bombastic bass)
S6Rui is a night and day situation compared to H50, and even on the time that originally appeared on the market anyone who had in hands that time a monitor like DM6 for example was a happy person and didn't had the urge to get S6Rui at all.... (I consider that purchase not a wise one for me....) a hint of self - criticism never hurt anyone......

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #3,855 of 5,038
Well, the Fearless S6 Rui is to me a rare IEM. Being it’s just so tweaked-up and owning BA timbre. At the beginning I had no issues with it, but in time I started really to take the IEM for what it was. Where in the beginning the Rui seemed to hold all kinds of detail and really for the money that amount of detail was good. But over time.........after a while it was just too much? Where if anything such an example goes to show just how far this hobby has gone in a few short years. Same with BGVP DM6.....we both have the same history. Still I think the DM6 is better, yet it’s almost 1/2 less money than the S6 Rui. So for the money when they came out in 2018, they were OK. Looking back and still trying both out from time to time, to me it validates my understanding of the ISN H50. With out contrasts as times, it’s hard to judge things........but where the H50 is still relatively mellow in comparison to the S6 Rui, also it’s so much better in so many ways than the DM6, it’s not even funny.....and I purchased two pairs of DM6 when they came out! But to summarize here the DM6 and Fearless S6 Rui sound un-natural, where the H50 seems to parley music like it was intended?
Maybe S6Rui is far too analytical for my taste as well...
Or maybe its the tuning? Alll the amount of the details come more upfront than many other monitors out there creating this way a diffuse sound filed?
Cannot tell for sure... I have found it as well being unnatural over time.
On the contrary DM6 has a unique analogue warmth may I say that brings nostalgia to my ears.....
Their following DM7 is more close to S6Rui bringing a more open sound field towards the horizontal axis more transparent than the previous DM6.
Anyways H50 is tones above that era but I had suspected that judging from their first release in the market H40, which may I say that had a tremendous impact to my ears upon first listening straight out of the box
I could tell that day that a begging of a new era regarding audio gear was ahead of us...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back