ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Dec 22, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #2,251 of 5,041
Are you using with the stock cable or something else?
I never found H40 is harsh or shrill on highs.
Stock cable, using final audio tips and the stock tips doesn’t seem to change anything tried with a 3rd party cable same thing, maybe mine is defective then

Dec 22, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #2,252 of 5,041
Stock cable, using final audio tips and the stock tips doesn’t seem to change anything tried with a 3rd party cable same thing, maybe mine is defective then

Could you provide specific music examples where there are hot spots? Is it certain consonants in vocals, or certain instruments in the mix?

(Not an H40 owner but interested in narrowing down the frequencies that are bothering you out of curiosity. I can be sensitive to some IEMs in ways that usually don’t affect others too. For me it can be t/s/ch/sh in vocals when no one else seems to have an issue.)

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #2,253 of 5,041
Could you provide specific music examples where there are hot spots? Is it certain consonants in vocals, or certain instruments in the mix?

(Not an H40 owner but interested in narrowing down the frequencies that are bothering you out of curiosity. I can be sensitive to some IEMs in ways that usually don’t affect others too. For me it can be t/s/ch/sh in vocals when no one else seems to have an issue.)
For example Glamorous by fergie, the lines just after she spells out glamorous sound very harsh.

seems to be mainly female vocals

Might be me then, had a similar problem with the ier z1r and had to sell those :/

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #2,254 of 5,041

I’ve tried with the Final Audio tips and there is no any harshness on the sound. You can contact with the place where you buy it for the replacement or fix.

Jan 10, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #2,255 of 5,041
My impression for the ISN H40 with 3.5 mm jack, purchased during the black friday sale. Changing the stock tips to SpinFit CP145 I found the bass to really open up.
Whilst I haven't read many people stating it, I agree with another reviewer that these are bassy iem's. To me, the review of cqtek from March 23, 2020 seem to be spot on. In the review he stated:
Cons: The greatness of the low range may not be to everyone's taste.
- Not suitable for those looking for a bright, ultra detailed or analytical profile

This goes a long way with my own impression.

I enjoyed my old Earsonics SM3 v2 more than these headphones. And for other than EDM music I still sometimes prefer my full size headphones Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro 80 ohm. Maybe it was also a bit silly for me to expect the sound to come near that of the Earsonics considering the vast price difference ($170 versus around $400 at the time).

Perhaps my expectations were a bit misplaced before going out and buying these. Don't get me wrong, the ISN H40 is a very enjoyable and comfortable headphone that sounds good. However, to me it simply does not seem to be the great all rounder across all genres. Something that I did actually expect based on reviews here on head-fi.

Therefore, my personal advice would be to try these iem's beforehand if it is possible rather than blindly buying them.

I hope this review helps others to make a more informed buying decision. Happy listening!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #2,258 of 5,041
Hello all. I have been the happy owner of the H40 for a year. I consider them excellent for their price. By the way, I would like to ask if anyone had the opportunity to compare the H40 with the Thieaudio Legacy 5?

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #2,259 of 5,041
I am glad that I decided to buy YY 5N UPOCC crystal copper for ISN D10 to replace the stock 3.5mm.
It is like I hear different iems. The bass is better, not too boomy and vocal is also more forward.

I did quick comparison with the LZ A6 which has been my daily driver recently. The A6 sounds metalic although more detail, the bass on A6 is faster but less quantity.
Soundstage, A6 is slightly wider but ISN D10 is also huge. The ISN D10 will be my basshead unit now.

Feb 15, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #2,264 of 5,041
Anyone have a good recommended upgrade path from the ISN H40? Something with a similar sound signature/massive soundstage, but an all around improvement. Any price range is fine. Thanks.
IER-Z1R or UM MEST.

my modded H40 is like baby Z1R but with more bass. Z1R have similar DNA with H40, but better in every aspect, except fit. Z1R's Bass is much more controlled, clean, textured, punchy with great impact but not bloated or boomy at all, very accurate and impactful, I dare best bass of any IEM i ever heard, but also sadly I didnt expect I have to go this far to get this kind of bass quality, I was thinking i could get this kind of bass in midfi range but i was wrong.
Z1R fit is ok with me but not the best. 7 out of 10 for fit while H40 is 8.5 out of 10.
H40 bass is more bold and big but lose the impact and tightness to Z1R
mids are not offensive on both, but clarity resolution much better on Z1R
trebles is more controlled and expanded on Z1R without sibilance (or borderline on 6khz to some people), but H40 6-7-8khz rises are more risky, especially that 7khz that "supposed" to be dipped to get better tonality and transient without being sibillance.
soundstage on Z1R is bit wider but not by large margin, but imaging level is on another level with great layering on Z1R.

Other option you can get Sony N3, much cheaper with similar tonality / DNA to H40/Z1R but BA used is old sony BA, not the same with newer open BA like in Z1R. If price isnt an issue just take Z1R if they fit you good enough (great fit is too much to ask i think)

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #2,265 of 5,041
Anyone have a good recommended upgrade path from the ISN H40? Something with a similar sound signature/massive soundstage, but an all around improvement. Any price range is fine. Thanks.

ISN H40 are one of my all time favorites. Scanning my collection, I'd say you need to try Empire Ears Legend X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back