ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Nov 20, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #2,221 of 5,040
At this point I've passed on two sets of H40's in the classifieds because they didn't have the 3.5mm cable. Don't think I'm going to let it happen again. Itching for a new set of IEM's but still not sure that I want to fork out full retail for the H40's. Gah...

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #2,222 of 5,040
I've passed on two pairs that were on eBay at different times for around $130ish because their cables did not look like any of the stock photos, or review photos - so I feared they were from the first run which supposedly sounded awful, or at least not as good, as the current version. I hope I was right...
Both times they had the same kind of cable, but like I said, it didn't match any up to date images of the stock cables.

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #2,223 of 5,040
Has anyone listened to both the H40 and the Hifi Boy OS V3? Since Penon has knocked them down to $179 and $119 respectively, I'd really like to try one or the other.
I'm really leaning towards the H40 but any comparisons would be greatly appreciated.
I've also held up from buying the last few H40's listed in the Marketplace because of the cables but I hadn't considered the fact that they could also be from the first production run.

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #2,225 of 5,040
I have all 3 ISN iems and I love them. Anyone have them and the UM Mest? I want it but having trouble justifying that price. Any comparisons?
I only have the D02. The sound signature of the D02 is more fun and exciting in general, with boosted bass, though the upper midrange glare is too much for me without mods. The soundstage and imaging are the second best of any single DD IEM that I’ve heard thus far (1st is the NM2+). The MEST in comparison is quite different. It is a technical beast, particularly with the bass and treble. The bass is very fast, detailed, articulate and nuanced, but the quantity is a lot less than the D02, with more of a sub bass bias. It does take EQ really well though. The MEST is a treble-head‘s dream IEM. The treble is so incredibly well extended, and while the treble is prominent, it is not harsh due to the drivers and design. Treble detail is also the best I’ve ever heard. If one is very treble sensitive though, I recommend finding a way to try before you buy. The midrange is neutral, with good weight, but the upper mids are not boosted, and some may miss some of the “bite”. Imaging and soundstage are on a different level compared with all of my other IEMs. It is very holographic, with very precise and non-hazy instrument placement. No blurring or compression of instruments either. Hope this helps some.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #2,226 of 5,040
Has anyone listened to both the H40 and the Hifi Boy OS V3? Since Penon has knocked them down to $179 and $119 respectively, I'd really like to try one or the other.
I'm really leaning towards the H40 but any comparisons would be greatly appreciated.
I've also held up from buying the last few H40's listed in the Marketplace because of the cables but I hadn't considered the fact that they could also be from the first production run.
Of the ones that have been in the head-fi marketplace, I'm positive that 80% of which have been the V2. My understanding is that there was a only a short run of the V1 and many of which were bundled with early sets of the V2. Someone please correct me if I'm off-base here though (@Dsnuts )

Thanks for the heads up on the price reduction by the way. It's not much, but may just bite the bullet on them at this point since no sets seem to be popping up.

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #2,227 of 5,040
Ugh. I have been finding I like the d02 more than any other item. I loved the h40 and now I really love the h40. I have the imr semper on the way and I bought (I hope not stupidly) the line ears aether essential as it seemed like an incredible deal. All I want is holographic 3D sound. That's why I hear the mest is the endgame for soundstage and detail. I just can't justify over 1k on an iem especially when the d02 impresses ke so much at $84

Nov 24, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #2,228 of 5,040
I just can't justify over 1k on an iem especially when the d02 impresses ke so much at $84
Then my sincere recommendation is to just enjoy what you have and not worry about that little extra that you may be missing out on. While the MEST is really impressive, it won’t ”change your life”. I still really enjoy the D02.

Statements like “this is going revolutionize the way you hear things“ and “once you hear this, you won’t be able to enjoy anything else” are just crazy hyperbole. If something truly spoils one’s ability to enjoy anything else, I suggest you RUN away from it, b/c who want’s that to happen to their enjoyment of music.

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #2,230 of 5,040
I had my D10s in all of last night and it was really the first time I enjoyed it. Actually great for sleeping. I seem to be in the minority, but my problem with D10 is that while it is tuned great and everything sounds right, I find it very flat, compared to many other (admittedly more expensive) IEMs. Campfire Audio, 64 Audio offerings, for example. I know, not a fair fight.

But even H40 sounds -- 3D compared to the flat D10. Kind of like the difference between playing a 3D game on a monitor vs in VR.

Just expressing my own thoughts, not trying to take away from those who love it.

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #2,231 of 5,040
Then my sincere recommendation is to just enjoy what you have and not worry about that little extra that you may be missing out on. While the MEST is really impressive, it won’t ”change your life”. I still really enjoy the D02.

Statements like “this is going revolutionize the way you hear things“ and “once you hear this, you won’t be able to enjoy anything else” are just crazy hyperbole. If something truly spoils one’s ability to enjoy anything else, I suggest you RUN away from it, b/c who want’s that to happen to their enjoyment of music.
The authority has spoken!

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #2,232 of 5,040
The authority has spoken!
:joy: Hardly! Just trying to keep it real. We all need it from time to time as it’s so easy to get lost in the rabbit hole. At least I know I do.

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #2,234 of 5,040
My ISN D02 arrived today (UK) and I have to say the hype is real and they are a beautiful looking set of IEM's :gs1000smile:

I absolutely love them already and I've only been listening for 45mins on my DX200 (AMP5), I also got the Spinfit CP145 tips and have them on. I'm using the stock cable at the moment and did manage to hear a bit of brightness on Karen Carpenters voice on 'Close To You' although Stevie Nicks sounds fantastic on 'Everywhere'

I had ordered the KBear 'Rhyme 8 core UPOCC Copper & Silver' and also the KBear 'Thorough 16 core silver plated cable' but unfortunately I'm in dispute with them at the moment as the delivery I received was for CPU RAM from a company called Avanshare. I've never heard of them and i've no idea how that managed to be delivered to my home?

Under normal cisrcumstances I would re order but KBear aren't being very helpful in discussions on AE. Can anyone recommend another copper and silver cable I could order under $30.

Oh and that soundstage :beyersmile:
CF4F4D9C-5145-491F-A9BA-191C0F680211.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #2,235 of 5,040
I am just wondering if the mest is so much superior in soundstage to the h40. I don't want to spend a ton and hate it like I did the k10u which is boring.
Sorry, I can’t help there as I’ve never heard the H40. Maybe @Dsnuts will chime in. Based on the D02, however, the soundstage and especially the imaging is on another level, even though the D02 is exceptional for a single DD. The H40 is a hybrid so it is still different. The tuning of the MEST is quite different from the D02 as well, with quite a bit less bass, much less upper midrange, and much more extended treble.

My ISN D02 arrived today (UK) and I have to say the hype is real and they are a beautiful looking set of IEM's :gs1000smile:

I absolutely love them already and I've only been listening for 45mins on my DX200 (AMP5), I also got the Spinfit CP145 tips and have them on. I'm using the stock cable at the moment and did manage to hear a bit of brightness on Karen Carpenters voice on 'Close To You' although Stevie Nicks sounds fantastic on 'Everywhere'

I had ordered the KBear 'Rhyme 8 core UPOCC Copper & Silver' and also the KBear 'Thorough 16 core silver plated cable' but unfortunately I'm in dispute with them at the moment as the delivery I received was for CPU RAM from a company called Avanshare. I've never heard of them and i've no idea how that managed to be delivered to my home?

Under normal cisrcumstances I would re order but KBear aren't being very helpful in discussions on AE. Can anyone recommend another copper and silver cable I could order under $30.

Oh and that soundstage :beyersmile:
I really like how the CP145 tips sound on the D02 also. They actually fit those ultra wide nozzles well. NiceHCK LitzOCC seems to be a really good copper cable (the Rhyme is actually a copper cable, but has some foil wrap around some of the cores). I personally actually like an all-silver cable best for the D02, like the NiceHCK LitzPS (or PS Pro).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back