Isabellina HPA - Owner's Thread and Impressions
Nov 21, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #511 of 532

Quote:
You should check out Skylab's review of the Audeze Edition Isabelina HPA wherein he compares the Isabellina DAC section to the Havana... http://www.head-fi.org/t/572939/review-red-wine-audio-audeze-edition-balanced-headphone-amplifier-dac-combo

"This decision was furthered by the fact that the [Isabellina] AE's DAC was much better than the MHDT.  I like the MHDT quite a bit, actually, and think it sounds very good, especially for the money.  But the MHDT is much less neutral than the AE.  I like the Havana’s “sound”, but it has a sound, for sure, regardless of tube rolling.  It isn’t neutral.  And that was the primary trait that impressed me about the AE’s DAC – it was extremely neutral and stunningly transparent."

leesure, thank you for the link!

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #512 of 532
I do not know where else to post this so here it is. Earlier this week I received my upgraded Isabella, new 24/192 DAC and Class A balanced headphone out. I have not used the DAC yet except to check it works! 
wink.gif
 However, I have logged about 3 hours of use with the Class A balanced headphone amp and I am so happy. I find it is much more clear and dynamic than both the SE headphone amp it replaced as well as the Signature 30.2 (when using planar cans or the K1000). The top is more extended and "sweet" (no harshness), with the 30.2 there is more impact with the K1000 but  overall I feel the sound is better with the Class A headphone out. I guess my 30.2 will now drive speakers or an Stax energizer box.

Thanks Vinnie, another very happy customer.

May 14, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #513 of 532
I've been using the base Isabellina HPA (LFP-V) for a couple of months now. At first I was thinking I couldn't be happier with the sound. Afterwards I decided to add a balanced HP satage and take that sound to my future stereo system and bought a (full except ProDAC) Isabella. Now it's being modded by RWA and I'm waiting eagerly. The only thing I appreciate more than RWA products is the owner of RWA, Vinnie himself. He has been so communicative and helpful in the whole process. Thank you Vinnie.

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #517 of 532
I have a problem with my Isabellina LFPV Edition bought here from a head-fier.
Everything correctly plugged, charger has both LED lit red. Only thing is when gently tapping on the power touch button,$
nothing happens : no red light lighting on.
And I can hear that distinct clock sound which user's manual say it should run for 40 sec. Only that it's clocking since
10 minutes now.
redface.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #518 of 532
Quote:
Everything correctly plugged, charger has both LED lit red. Only thing is when gently tapping on the power touch button,$
And I can hear that distinct clock sound which user's manual say it should run for 40 sec. Only that it's clocking since
10 minutes now.
redface.gif

What about unplugged? Or switched between AC/BATT? Ruled out tube issues presumably? There is a mysterious button on the charger that does something, and I've heard Vinnie suggest users switch it if there's trouble. Clearly this would not be the issue if you're getting nothing w/o the charger attached. Otherwise contact Vinnie, could be a bad switch.

Jun 3, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #519 of 532
Quote:

What about unplugged? Or switched between AC/BATT? Ruled out tube issues presumably? There is a mysterious button on the charger that does something, and I've heard Vinnie suggest users switch it if there's trouble. Clearly this would not be the issue if you're getting nothing w/o the charger attached. Otherwise contact Vinnie, could be a bad switch.

Unplugged is the same. Switched to BATT. Nothing. Tubes, I don't know, and I won't open it. Button on the charger is just AC position when on BATT. Both LED on charger are red, which seems to mean DAC is on…
I did contact Vinnie but he's off on some event until Wednesday… 

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #520 of 532
Quote:
10 minutes now.
redface.gif

Tap power button ---- Any Red Light on button? this red light should be lighted up

try unplug and plug the battery connector, u will hear the relay click again once u plug it in

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #521 of 532
Quote:
Unplugged is the same. Switched to BATT. Nothing. Tubes, I don't know, and I won't open it. Button on the charger is just AC position when on BATT. Both LED on charger are red, which seems to mean DAC is on…
I did contact Vinnie but he's off on some event until Wednesday… 

Two questions (because I have a Sig 16, not an Isabellina, so I was making a couple of assumptions)… When I said button on the charger, I meant the external power supply sort of unit, not the AC/BATT switch on the back of the amp itself… My button isn't labeled, which is why I wanted to double-check we're on the same page there. But, actually, I guess that doesn't matter if unplugged/BATT is the same. Okay, question two — is the Isabellina not meant to be opened for tube access? I know even though the tubes aren't exposed to the outside world they seem to encourage rolling, and the current iteration are easily opened with thumbscrews for this purpose. But yeah, that sounds kinda dodgy, hope you get it resolved! Might ask on the RWA forum at audiocircle too…

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #522 of 532
Quote:

Tap power button ---- Any Red Light on button? this red light should be lighted up

try unplug and plug the battery connector, u will hear the relay click again once u plug it in

As said, when tapping button : no red light. (I know : it lights up instantly on my Signature 30.2
No matter if I unplug the power supply : relay is constantly clicking.
Quote:
Two questions (because I have a Sig 16, not an Isabellina, so I was making a couple of assumptions)… When I said button on the charger, I meant the external power supply sort of unit, not the AC/BATT switch on the back of the amp itself… My button isn't labeled, which is why I wanted to double-check we're on the same page there. But, actually, I guess that doesn't matter if unplugged/BATT is the same. Okay, question two — is the Isabellina not meant to be opened for tube access? I know even though the tubes aren't exposed to the outside world they seem to encourage rolling, and the current iteration are easily opened with thumbscrews for this purpose. But yeah, that sounds kinda dodgy, hope you get it resolved! Might ask on the RWA forum at audiocircle too…

1 : yes, the small button above the LEDs. When pressed, the unit is earthed and the slight buzzing in Isabellina is muted.
2 : I won't open it.

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #523 of 532
Update.

Now I did it again : unplug power supply, select BATT, tapping gently on power flat button, and ON it is, red light up.
Why ? 
confused.gif

Not quite reassuring as for constant and smooth operation… 
confused_face.gif

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #524 of 532
Hi, try this...

With the LFP-V Editions (and some earlier units), turn-on requires a FIRM PRESS and HOLD for a second or two. I'm not at home or I could go to a unit and be more exact. If you do it right, the red light in the switch will come on and stay on. And yes, there is a warm-up delay prior to hearing music. I do not recall the delay time, but it maybe 30 seconds or more.

When I first got my unit I had the same issue, as I was not holding the switch in long enough. Do it a few times to get a feel for the operation and you won't think twice about turn on from that point forward.

I hope this does the trick. Kent

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #525 of 532
Problem solved : unit reverted to normal after a complete cycle of 24 jours "clicking". 

And Vinnie Rossi has been fast and responsive, with the answer :

"Hi,

Sorry for the delay - I was away at a trade show.

[…]

It sounds like it was dropped in shipping and one of the relays on the SMART board is in the incorrect state.  These are "latching" relays and being subjected to dropping can cause them to change state.

Luckily - there is a way to handle this.  If your customer uses a hammer and taps the right side of the enclosure (using sufficient force), that should get the relay to go back to the correct position, and then the unit should turn on.  He should do this when he hears the "clicking sounds" when he tries to turn it on.

I also recommend he uses something like a piece of wood between the hammer and enclosure so he does not scratch the enclosure.  But he needs to tap it fairly hard to reset the relay.

[…]

All the best,

Vinnie

Vinnie Rossi
Red Wine Audio"

In fact, no tapping required : it just did some reset of its own and works flawlessly now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back