Is your system only as good as the weakest part?
Aug 11, 2002 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
I have a question about adapters, etc. Is your system only as good as the worst adapter? Say you have a 1/4 to RCA adapter. When the sound goes through the adapter, its changed. Now, the changed sound is going through your interconnect. Am I on the right track?

Aug 11, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 8
"Is your system only as good as the worst adapter? "

What does your ears say?
smily_headphones1.gif

If you cant hear the difference, then no. Otherwise yes.

That's the way I like to see things.

Many people would disagree with me, Im sure.

Aug 11, 2002 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 8
It depends on the component.

With headphones, you only really have 3 components.

Headphones/Source/Amp

Lets say you've got great headphones.. even on a crummy 25 dollar PCDP without an amp, the sound is good.

Lets say you've got crummy headphones.. even on a Sony SCD-1 cd player with a Headroom Max, you aren't going to get very good sound.

Same theory applies with speakers, but there is more emphasis on the amp.

Aug 12, 2002 at 7:08 AM Post #5 of 8
Everything in the audio chain has a sound. EVERYTHING will have some affect on the audio, but most of those components have a very small, typically unnoticed affect. A direct answer to your question - will the system be only as good as it's weakest adapter - basically, yes, if the entire audio stream passes through that adapter, which it does. But what "ctn" said is basically true, if you can't hear the difference then there is no difference. In the end, all technical specs are overridden by the judgement of your ears.

Cutting to the chase - most likely your adapter isn't a big deal.

Aug 12, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 8
I have a weird experience. I connected my source ( turntable to receiver) to my PC with an RCA IC to a 1/8-to-RCA adaptor. The sound was horrible (with no detail at all). I couldn't fix it.

Then I used my mini to mini extender going through the same adaptor and the same cable and the sound improve tremedously. I still can't figure out why.

There is one passage in a song that can really tell. The drum in the bad setup goes from slightly left (good setup) to middle with a very muddied sound.

My only conclusion is the mating of the connectors is bad between my sound card and the adaptor, and that creates too much crosstalk and HF attenuation.

Aug 13, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 8
Hi andrzejpw,

When I have to use or buy adaptors, I look at the materials the adaptors are made from. I look for non-ferrous base material(copper, brass, etc), with gold/ silver outer plating, if available. I heard RS adaptors were made from brass. Bring a magnet.

Regardless, use a good contact cleaner/conditioner(Cramolin, Tweek, etc).

Of course, the best adaptor is no adaptor, if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back