Is Your Memory TOO GOOD?
Aug 22, 2003 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

williamgoody

Banned
My memory is pretty good, and really doesn't seem to be lacking at all (of course some thing fall through the cracks,
biggrin.gif
)

But it's to the point that I can't "rewatch" movies, "reread" books, or really "relisten" to a lot of music (to a lesser extent). I just remember all of it the first time I experience it, and I can't really enjoy it again because I know what's coming or what happens.

And this spans over other areas of my life. I had a Palm once, but never used it because once I entered something on it, I didn't have to re-reference it because I remembered it.

Anyone else share this quality?

Aug 22, 2003 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 37
Yeah, that's me too. I also have a PDA (pocketpc in my case), but it's more for fun than to remember appointments.

I try to use the memory to my advantage and enjoy watching a dvd or re-reading a book, studying it more than the first time. But yeah, I don't exactly get surprised again.

My earliest memory is being jabbed in the side with a safety pin as mom was trying to change my diapers. I asked her if this happened and described it perfectly, but she claims that I can't remember this. As only her and I were there and she never told me about it, obviously I do remember it. I can also remember things from 1 and 2 years of age. And can remember all my teachers through all the years of school, etc...

I think we all have these memories, it's just the retrieval of it that works better for some than others.

So I really don't concern myself with trying to be surprised over again, I just try to concentrate studying it again.... if that makes any sense.

Aug 22, 2003 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 37
Over time, I've phased out the assignment notebook and palm pilot, simply because I no longer need it an it's simply a 150 buck metal thing in my pocket. The success rate of me remembering an assignment AND bringing home books for it is a good 98% or so at this point, and I'm getting better.

There was a time in my life when I could literally watch Star Wars in my head, but it was probably because I had seen it a million times.

It's pretty easy to listen to music in my head, but if I haven't heard the song around 10 times, I can't hear the whole thing, only segments, because I can't remember the lyrics. Songs with tricky lyrics take longer to "learn". Example: I still haven't memorized even 5 of the paragraphs in "Trampled Underfoot" by Led Zeppelin.

My short term memory *SUCKS*. I have horrible short term memory. On the other hand, Descent, one of my favorite games (the BEST GAME EVER), is easily recallable. In fact, I can EASILY call up the EXACT level designs, graphics, and everything of levels 1-15, even the music, weapons, effects, you name it. Every detail is there. It's pretty damn amazing, I can actually play the game.

Aug 22, 2003 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 37
I have the opposite. I have terrible short term memory and bad long term memory as well. I can't remember anything from before I was 10, but I think that's been pushed up to 12 to 14 or so. The only things I remember are short glimpses and flashes of random events. But I think I have selective memory. I only remember what is interesting to me, and I guess a lot of my childhood wasn't. I can barely remember anything at work, and everything else is a blur. It's weird, because the only things I really retain are those interesting and useless factoids.

I think it's early onset of Alzheimer's.

Aug 22, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 37
Had excellent memory, but over the last 4-5 years have noticed that changing (if memory serves!
tongue.gif
)

In all seriousness, have you tried watching/reading better movies/books? The greats are rarely about what happens next.

Aug 22, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Had excellent memory, but over the last 4-5 years have noticed that changing (if memory serves!
tongue.gif
)

In all seriousness, have you tried watching/reading better movies/books? The greats are rarely about what happens next.

True. IMO, what really makes a movie or book great is if you can get more out of it each time you watch/read it.

Aug 22, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 37
If I'm interested in something, my memory's reasonably good, otherwise I'll usually forget it very quickly.

Aug 22, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
If I'm interested in something, my memory's reasonably good, otherwise I'll usually forget it very quickly.

Whew! I'm glad it's not just me. Either that or you're a prime candidate for Alzheimer's like me. Unfortunately for me I think I have genetic predisposition for it since my grandmother has it now. Sigh.

Aug 22, 2003 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 37
I tend to have to write things down. Probably since I do this I feel that I don't need to remember it, since it's written down. But when I am forced to remember something it's not usually a problem. Recall can be a funny thing. Ever get mad at someone because they bring something up that you can't/have to recall? Damn you, now I won't be able to sleep until I remember that..., and so on. The internet is a crutch also to not having to remember things. There's google, allmusicguide, etc. I think it's a good thing when you are forced to used those brain cells.

Aug 22, 2003 at 9:40 PM Post #11 of 37
Let me just say this............ummmm, what where we talking about?

Aug 22, 2003 at 10:44 PM Post #13 of 37
The element of surprise is not what makes ANYTHING GOOD. If your memory is the only reason you can't enjoy music etc. you are listening to ****ty music or watching ****ty movies.

If anything a perfect memory should increase your enjoyment of life. I know many songs by Mozart by heart. But knowing whats coming next makes it that much more exciting somehow. It's such a perfect creation that a better memory of it serves to make it that much more beautiful in my mind.

Memories, the things around you, music, they are nothing without interpretation. Interpretation is what matters.

Aug 22, 2003 at 11:13 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

The element of surprise is not what makes ANYTHING GOOD. If your memory is the only reason you can't enjoy music etc. you are listening to ****ty music or watching ****ty movies.

It has more to do with my anticipation for the unknown.
wink.gif

And I believe I have adequate taste in music, thank you.
biggrin.gif

Would you consider "The Godfather" a ****ty movie?

Quote:

Memories, the things around you, music, they are nothing without interpretation. Interpretation is what matters.

Too True.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back