Is your Headphone setup more expensive than your Speaker?
Sep 19, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #48 of 149
Headphones dont even come close.

Speakers Klipsch RVX-54's are the main speakers right now. But Im building a purpose built Home Theater room and stereo, and plan on having Klipsch Rf-83's Add in the amps I need to power them. All three of my phones would cost about the same as ONE of my Klipsch speakers

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #51 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My HP system ran me about $2500 or so, but my HT was closer to $10,000 (just shy...that includes LCD TV, etc. - see profile for "stuff"). Still, my HP rig is more detailed and resolving, and when I listen to music, its with that.

Golden Monkey, you pretty much wrote my own response. My stuff's in my profile too. Even the dollar amounts are really close!

I do a lot of critical listening with my W5000's. Music sounds great with my speaker setup, and I love watching (listening!!!) to movies with lossless sound. I'm glad I have both.

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #52 of 149
I use my SinglePower Extreme Platinum as a pre-amp in my speaker set up, which also shares the same source. The price of my speakers and subwoofer (bought used) is more than most of my headphones alone, but since I own more headphones, and some on the pricey side, I guess my headphone rig costs more. Weird, now that I think about it.

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #53 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use my SinglePower Extreme Platinum as a pre-amp in my speaker set up, which also shares the same source. The price of my speakers and subwoofer (bought used) is more than most of my headphones alone, but since I own more headphones, and some on the pricey side, I guess my headphone rig costs more. Weird, now that I think about it.

Interesting.

Cool Elvis "Blue Hawaii" avatar BTW.

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #54 of 149
My headphone set up is about the same as my speaker set up. I use a Yamaha 5.1 receiver (110 wats per channel in stereo) and some custom built speakers.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #55 of 149
My speakers easily get the lions share of the listening time and audio budget here .... headphones are for early morning and late night.

1981 Klipsch La Scalas(with Altec 511B mid horns) driven by Bottlehead 300B tubes

319907936_TPCeD-M.jpg

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #56 of 149
My headphone gear now cost more than my speakers, although my speaker setup is rather modest. I have a vintage NAD reciever (cost about $80) and PSB Alpha B bookshelf speakers (about $220 for the pair) which are in my room and used for a mix of stuff: music from pc, music from turntable, games, radio.

Headphone gear consists of just: PortaPros, AD900, Starving Student Millet (2 of them now). Not much, but still more than my speaker gear.

Sep 20, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #57 of 149
Yes.

My house is too small -- the separation between my speakers can be only up to 4 feet. I see no point in spending money into speakers then. Luckily I still have some space to spare my headphones. In fact the space I have is so small that I spent most of money in my portable set up. My current rig is Imod -> Lisa -> ALO780.

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #58 of 149
My PSB Platinum M2 monitors with stands go for about $2200. I paid $850.

That blows my Headphones out of the water with a list price, but pulls about equal in actual price.

I listen to the headphones more often lately, due to the difficulty of room placement and resonance control.

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #59 of 149
Totem Arro win out vs. my HD-650s, same story with amplification, shared source for both. Time of day dictates which gets the ear-time.

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #60 of 149
Aagh, I hit "YES" before I noticed there was an "I don't have speakers" option.

I don't have speakers! Well, there are some in the apartment, but it's in my daughter's setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back