is wma lossless better then mp3 320 cbr?
Dec 4, 2006 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

leo5111

1000+ Head-Fier
i was looking at the options on my zune and noticed it supports wma lossless is that better sound quality then 320 cbr mp3??? thanx
etysmile.gif

Dec 4, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 12
Exactly, the Zune software supports wma lossless... but not the Zune hardware.

But to answer your question lossless is always better quality than losst.... will you hear the differeance.... that depends, but most likely you won't

Dec 4, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 12
"EDIT" just got off phone with zune support and yes the zune hardware DOES use wma lossless
wink.gif
"EDIT2" i dragged a audio file off my zune its ripping to 320 bitrate wma

Dec 4, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 12
yep, the Zune only supports WMA-Lossless in the sence that it can convert them to a compatible format (much like the Zune's "support" of H.264)

oddly, Toshiba's Gigabeat S, which the Zune is based off of does support WMA-Lossless. don''t know why they took it out of the Zune.

Dec 4, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don''t know why they took it out of the Zune.

Because Microsoft clearly don't have an idea what they want to do?

Dec 4, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 12
without regard about compatability. yes wma lossless is better than 320kbs mp3 because technically lossless means: the exact copy of your cd.

also means it'll cost more battery power.

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 12
I did read up on it when the Zune first came out, which is where I got the info about the Zune not playing WMA-Lossless, and the Zune's official site seems to agree with that as do the Topic Creator's results.

btw, Apple's players have supported a compressed lossless format for a pretty long time, Apple Lossless. (the iPod shuffle's don't support it though)

Dec 5, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spetsnaz Op /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shame about lossless....apple and microsoft really both need to improve support in this area

Apple has been supporting lossless for quite sometime. It's called ALAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back