Is USB Sound Card by Turtle Beach any good?
Sep 10, 2009 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nonothing

New Head-Fier
Well I just got my new HFI-450(from Skull Candy Hesh) and I like them a lot, but I have a cheap laptop and from what I here I can really upgrade the sound quality of my head phones if I upgrade my sound card. I have a few questions on this........

Is the Audio Advantage Micro USB Sound Card by Turtle Beach any good? Will it give me a better quality sound or just a louder sound? Does it filter anything out I guess is my question?

I have heard that the Echo Indigo DJ is great for the price, but I heard it can't be used on a laptop with express card only. How do I tell if I have an express card only laptop? I bought it new from Costco about 2 months ago.

And if my laptop is express card only, what are my options for inexpensive upgrades? Is a USB Sound Card my best bet if I don't want to spend more than $100?

And finally, I know I got a lot of questions........Is there a way for me to up the bass when I listen to songs on Youtube and alike sites? My browser is Firefox.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonothing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I just got my new HFI-450(from Skull Candy Hesh) and I like them a lot, but I have a cheap laptop and from what I here I can really upgrade the sound quality of my head phones if I upgrade my sound card. I have a few questions on this........

Is the Audio Advantage Micro USB Sound Card by Turtle Beach any good? Will it give me a better quality sound or just a louder sound? Does it filter anything out I guess is my question?

I have heard that the Echo Indigo DJ is great for the price, but I heard it can't be used on a laptop with express card only. How do I tell if I have an express card only laptop? I bought it new from Costco about 2 months ago.

And if my laptop is express card only, what are my options for inexpensive upgrades? Is a USB Sound Card my best bet if I don't want to spend more than $100?

And finally, I know I got a lot of questions........Is there a way for me to up the bass when I listen to songs on Youtube and alike sites? My browser is Firefox.

Do you have optical out on the Lap? smth emulated with the phones out,
then you have a greater range of external Dacs

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have optical out on the Lap? smth emulated with the phones out,
then you have a greater range of external Dacs

How do know if you have an optical out on a laptop? I know very little about laptops. What is an optical out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smth emulated with the phones out,

I just don't know what that means either, sry.

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 5
You can sometimes find a used Headroom Total Bithead -- it's both an amp and a DAC -- for under $100.

It runs off of your USB, has two headphone inputs, an analog input (for a CDP or radio) and a volume control, is plug and play and sounds good.

Perfect for a laptop and runs on batteries for an MP3 player.

It's $159 new, and used to be $200 -- what's not to like?

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 5
Check out the Vivid Tech V1 also ($100).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back