Can anyone comment on:
The fit
The isolation
Sound leakage
Suitability as a portable

If your speaking of the HFI-780?
The Fit: Nice and Snug, on my head.
The isolation: Very good.
Sound leakage: Will test with the wife later.
Suitalbility as a portable: yes, it comes with a 3ft cable, and a extension cable.

At the moment i'm burning in; at 6hrs now. I can verify a sound change with burn in.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #17 of 42
Get the pro 750, they are the better over all headphone from what I have read.

From my experience, they are a better headphone than the HD 600 and K702 in every regard. And the only headphone I have heard capable of doing speaker like bass... and still manage to sound good.

I think the Pro 750 are bigger, but they come with a hard case to store them

Pro is the newer version, proline was the older.

Portability is good, they are rugged and well built, you could walk with them or something, but if you are using them for office or something even better... you couldn't run or do anything overly fluid with them.

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by stocklaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which one will be suggested to a ED8 user? I enjoy ED8 much in home, and would like to get one cheaper for office or other casual use. Seems like PRO900 will be great but I wonder if there are some even cheaper.

I've read some people seem to think that the HFI-780 recabled by ALO delivers sound similar to an Edition 9 but I really can't comment on that as I've never heard either. I might just be hype. I'm sure there are some threads on this though. Stang might be able to tell you some about them. He has a pair of ALO-780's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rideau
Quote:
If your speaking of the HFI-780?
The Fit: Nice and Snug, on my head.
The isolation: Very good.
Sound leakage: Will test with the wife later.
Suitalbility as a portable: yes, it comes with a 3ft cable, and a extension cable.

At the moment i'm burning in; at 6hrs now. I can verify a sound change with burn in.

I hear it takes these something like 400 hours before they completely settle.

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #19 of 42
The edition 9 doesn't sound at all like an edition 8 unfortunately.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by P4Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone comment on:
The fit
The isolation
Sound leakage
Suitability as a portable

I'll comment since these are my first and so far only audiophile cans. The fit is quite good, although they do feel a bit heavy after prolonged use. The Pro750s certainly are comfortable and easy to fall asleep with as long as you lie on your back. The sound isolation in my opinion is not too good. As long as your volume is somewhat loud you should be fine, but if you enjoy listening at lower volumes then you'll probably end up hearing some of what's going on in your surroundings. I imagine if you Kees mod them then the isolation will increase, but this is just from what I have read. The sound leakage from these cans is minimal and most likely unnoticeable unless the volume is really, really high. Their suitability as a portable depends on your definition of portability. I certainly would not excercise or commute with the Pro750, however I use them all the time when I'm working around the house or even outside (im talking like gardening, not intense manual labor
dt880smile.png
). They do have a detachable cable, so if you ever damage the cabling while on the go, it should be easy enough to replace. (comes with 2)

I have yet to hear the Pro750s with an amp, but so far I have been able to enjoy them just fine with my ipod and laptop. Word of caution - the Pro 750 are not very forgiving with crappy recordings and have a looong burn in period

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll comment since these are my first and so far only audiophile cans. The fit is quite good, although they do feel a bit heavy after prolonged use. The Pro750s certainly are comfortable and easy to fall asleep with as long as you lie on your back. The sound isolation in my opinion is not too good. As long as your volume is somewhat loud you should be fine, but if you enjoy listening at lower volumes then you'll probably end up hearing some of what's going on in your surroundings. I imagine if you Kees mod them then the isolation will increase, but this is just from what I have read. The sound leakage from these cans is minimal and most likely unnoticeable unless the volume is really, really high. Their suitability as a portable depends on your definition of portability. I certainly would not excercise or commute with the Pro750, however I use them all the time when I'm working around the house or even outside (im talking like gardening, not intense manual labor
dt880smile.png
). They do have a detachable cable, so if you ever damage the cabling while on the go, it should be easy enough to replace. (comes with 2)

I have yet to hear the Pro750s with an amp, but so far I have been able to enjoy them just fine with my ipod and laptop. Word of caution - the Pro 750 are not very forgiving with crappy recordings and have a looong burn in period

Thanks.
I'm assuming being a higher-end Ultrasone, but with the same ohmage, and probably having the same housing etc., I can expect similar stuff when I get my Ultrasone PRO 900s?

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by P4Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.
I'm assuming being a higher-end Ultrasone, but with the same ohmage, and probably having the same housing etc., I can expect similar stuff when I get my Ultrasone PRO 900s?

Since I dont have the Pro900 I cant tell you for sure but from what I have read when researching my for purchase the of Pro750, the Pro900 appears to be quite similar, but just better in about every single area, and with more pronounced bass. I saw a really good deal on the 750s so I went for it. Unfortunately that's about as much as I can accurately say, but I would recommend perusing through some of the pro750/900 threads, that's where I picked up this info

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by oceanwave1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This definitely helps, I also read from your post about the difference between Pro and Proline 750, it seems that they are the same, am i correct?

They sound the same, yes. If you are thinking about buying a Proline instead of a Pro because you've found that the Proline is less expensive, I suggest to you that you spend the extra money and buy the Pro instead of the Proline. My reasoning for this is because, it is my understanding that some people had trouble with some of the early models of the Proline 750 in that the paint faded off the headband after minimal handling. Also, there were some other Proline headband problems of a mechanical nature.

One reason I know about these problems is from personal experience. After about 4 months of use, the paint started coming off the headband of my Proline 750. And, to make matters worse, the headband started not maintaining it's position while it was on my head. I reported this problem to Ultrasone and they replaced the headband with another "Proline" marked headband. That replacement headband also had trouble holding it's position while on my head. I'm sure you can imagine how annoying this was when, during a recording session, I had to hold the headphones in place to keep the cups from falling off my ears. I was very pleased with Ultrasone's customer service because when I contacted them the second time to tell them that the replacement "Proline" head band was also malfunctioning, they gave me a new pair of the new model "Pro" 750 headphones. The Pro 750 has functioned well in every respect since that time and it's paint has not faded.

One more comment on the Pro 750 headband: To a minor degree, the Pro 750's headband will fit itself to one's head. If it is too loose to the extent that the headband kind of wiggles around on one's head, after a short while, the wearer will notice that the Pro 750 is fitting snug on their head. This snug but comfortable fit is to accommodate isolation (to a certain extent) and the best possible listening environment.

The placement of the headband on the head is very important for optimum listening enjoyment. If placed improperly on the head the Pro 750's sound is significantly less enjoyable. To some degree this "proper" positioning depends on a number of factors which include the size and shape of the listener's head, the size and shape of their ears and their general perception of sound. For more information on this topic see the "missing manual" link below.

Mar 17, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #25 of 42
Ultrasone's for classical? Didn't think people would like that combo. I think my ALO-780 are a very fun can. Very nice deep bass and awesome high's that are quite detailed and stand out a lot from the bass. The bad thing about them are the mids IMO. They are quite laid back compared to the rest of the frequency spectrum. If it were out of the ALO/HFI-780 and PRO 750, for classical, the PRO 750 would be the best IMO. The 780's are probably just too bassy for classical.

Mar 17, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone's for classical? Didn't think people would like that combo. I think my ALO-780 are a very fun can. Very nice deep bass and awesome high's that are quite detailed and stand out a lot from the bass. The bad thing about them are the mids IMO. They are quite laid back compared to the rest of the frequency spectrum. If it were out of the ALO/HFI-780 and PRO 750, for classical, the PRO 750 would be the best IMO. The 780's are probably just too bassy for classical.

Let me assure you that the Pro 750 and classical music is a better combination than bread and butter. Only recently, I listened to several Mozart Symphonies with the Pro 750. Absolutely marvelous!

Mar 17, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #27 of 42
Wow. Wasn't expecting that. I was under the impression that something like the HD650 and K701 are better suited for classical.

Mar 17, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. Wasn't expecting that. I was under the impression that something like the HD650 and K701 are better suited for classical.

I can't speak from experience about listening to specifically Classical Music with either the HD 650 or the K 701. My experiences with the 701 was when Jazz music was involved. For my tastes, for Jazz especially, the 701's do not render enough bass depth and "strength". It seemed to me that when compared to the sound of neutral studio monitor speakers in a acoustically balanced room, the 701 "fell short" of both the higher and lower frequencies causing the sound of the bass, especially, through them to be slightly to somewhat "pale" in comparison to "original" sound coming from the studio monitors. (Here I'm only referring to the rendered sound and not the "feeling" of bass rendered by studio monitor speakers.) I found that the sound rendered by the Pro 750 was significantly more similar to the sound of the studio monitor speakers. There are those who disagree with my opinion in this regard.

Mar 17, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #29 of 42
I really wish I had a well recorded Jazz or Classical CD
frown.gif
Really want to test out my DT800 with it
biggrin.gif
They are a lot more detailed and revealing than any of my other cans.

Mar 17, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #30 of 42
I'm considering either the 750 or 780 and I would like them to be like the Audio Technica M50 only stepped up a notch. I am mainly concerned with the mids, are both the 750 and 780 better than the M50 in that department? I listen to a little bit of everything but mainly focus on rock, electronic genres and hip-hop/rnb. What would be the closest to the M50? Oh yeah, I love me some bass also
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back