Is UE Triplefi 10pro a total upgrade over Ety ER4S?
Sep 14, 2007 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

iBug

New Head-Fier
By total upgrade I don't mean, lose treble gain bass, or lose soundstage gain clarity or whatever. I mean an upgrade in all aspects. The reason I cannot change my Ety's is that they are incredibly detailed and flat. I did buy Shure E5c and returned the next week, back then it was selling for 500$, almost twice as much as Ety but it sounded incredibly dull. I cannot listen to earphones without decent treble and by decent I mean Ety decent. I never tried ultimate ears and now people say Triplefi 10pro is good on the treble side, but I wonder if it's as good as Ety or just better than Shure? I know that I won't be buying any Shure's ever since as far as I can see from the response charts, all shures have compressed highs. But I'm thinking to give the UE Triplefi a chance if it does indeed have really good high frequency response like Ety's. Does anyone have a good comparison between those 2?

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 32
you might find that what your looking for isnt a high end IEM, but a specific sound signature, the ER4S has a more clean and detailed sound while not underlinking base and some aspects as the shure or the ultimate ears do, which could bring you to find the UE´s as too bright,

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 32
I will admit that for me, the US triple.fi was the most perfectly balanced IEM I have ever heard. If it wasn't for the fit ergonomics, I would buy them in a heartbeat.

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #6 of 32
Hi,

I've been a long time ER4P/S fan and recently invested in the Triple.fis. I would say that the UEs do have as much high end as the ER4s.They also fill in the bass registers and increase soundstage. So in that sense they are a real upgrade and you would not be disappointed as you would with, I think, with all of Shure's offering. However, at the same time the ER4s really are something special. They have a pleasing texture in the high end that no other IEM can match. So, if you like the specific sonic signature of the Etys you just won't find it any other.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #9 of 32
i believe TripleFi is rather an upgrade over super fi 5pro. for it has much better highs and bass quality.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #10 of 32
I much preferred the way the vocals were represented on the ER4 compared to TF, so I wouldn't say it's an upgrade in every area.
To me the biggest difference between the two besides the mids was that TF has alot more bass than ER4.

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #11 of 32
Ehy Tk3, I suppose you are loving your ER4. Would you elaborate more about the difference between the Etys and Triple.fi's mids? I was interested in the triple fi because of their bass reproduction and smooth highs, but I love Etys mids and I don't want to lose them.

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #12 of 32
It's been awhile since I've listened to the TF10 (sold 'em), so what I say probably isn't accurate anymore.

Anyway, for me the most important aspects of music are:

-the vocals are prominent, well separated, clear and easily audible
-a nice big soundstage that is immersive and positions well
-I like my instruments like guitars, strings to be crispy clear also

Others, like bass are less important to me, I could live with a headphone if it can meet the 3 criteria above and is slightly flawed (or less perfect, however you want to name it) in other areas.

The TF10 did pretty well for my needs, but just the vocals were lacking for me.
Like I said in the above post, the TF10 is much more bassier compared to ER4S, and on bass heavy or "complicated" tracks the vocals are much less prominent than I would like, they almost become background vocals (exaggerated, but just compared to ER4).
As a fellow ER4 owner, you know that this is not an issue with them.
smily_headphones1.gif

When I heard the ER4 I knew I liked its sound signature better, and that's why it stayed and the TF10 left.
Because of above reason and just how the mids are represented on the TF10, I find the ER4 does better too on tracks that have multiple vocals (lead + background singer or just a duet).

Does that mean the TF10 is a bad IEM?
Not at all, it's just a matter of taste, I like ER4 more, while some people hate the ER4 due to its lack of bass, overall presentation, microphonics, etc.

I am impressed that the ER4 is holding up so well despite being 15+ years old, that me and many others prefer it to the current dual/triple driver IEM craze.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 32
i personally think any triple driver iem is a big upgrade over the er4's technically! they can handle more and are generally much better for a wider range of music, but it really does boil down to wether you are a ety person which it sounds like you are, and many ety fans are always dissapointed by the lack of detail in other iems, but if your the sort of person that believes detail goes further than just the highs then you may be pleasantly suprised by the triple fi.

now i would always say the se530 are a better iem than the triple fi for all reasons, fit, design, lows, mids and i think the highs are good on both but if you come from the ety which you are i would highly recommend the triple fi they offer slightly extended highs over the shures and would suit your signature tastes without being a big step in the opposite direction.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been awhile since I've listened to the TF10 (sold 'em), so what I say probably isn't accurate anymore.

Anyway, for me the most important aspects of music are:

-the vocals are prominent, well separated, clear and easily audible
-a nice big soundstage that is immersive and positions well
-I like my instruments like guitars, strings to be crispy clear also

Others, like bass are less important to me, I could live with a headphone if it can meet the 3 criteria above and is slightly flawed (or less perfect, however you want to name it) in other areas.

The TF10 did pretty well for my needs, but just the vocals were lacking for me.
Like I said in the above post, the TF10 is much more bassier compared to ER4S, and on bass heavy or "complicated" tracks the vocals are much less prominent than I would like, they almost become background vocals (exaggerated, but just compared to ER4).
As a fellow ER4 owner, you know that this is not an issue with them.
smily_headphones1.gif

When I heard the ER4 I knew I liked its sound signature better, and that's why it stayed and the TF10 left.
Because of above reason and just how the mids are represented on the TF10, I find the ER4 does better too on tracks that have multiple vocals (lead + background singer or just a duet).

Does that mean the TF10 is a bad IEM?
Not at all, it's just a matter of taste, I like ER4 more, while some people hate the ER4 due to its lack of bass, overall presentation, microphonics, etc.

I am impressed that the ER4 is holding up so well despite being 15+ years old, that me and many others prefer it to the current dual/triple driver IEM craze.
smily_headphones1.gif

This has to be the single best description of the Triple Fi 10 that I ever read. THANK YOU.
By the way, did vocal presence change with the use of Shure black foamies, at all? And how did the Triple Fi behave with soundstage positioning? Are they as precise as the Etys?

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #15 of 32
I used TF10Pro and E500, to me highs are big time missing on E500 if compare to TF10Pro. I was using TF10Pro with iMod and strange thing i find about it's not respond well even if it's pair with realy good AMPs. It's sound excelent to HJ and shows good details in mids and lows. The thing i realy liked(about TF10Pro) it's so smooth especialy where the instrument start and right to finish(one of my fav IEMs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back