Is UE Triplefi 10pro a total upgrade over Ety ER4S?
Sep 15, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #16 of 32

oak3x

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Posts
559
Likes
25
I owned the Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro...and ended up returning them.

The Triple.fi 10's are really great sounding IEMS...amazing sound reproduction throughout the entire musical spectrum (lows, mids and highs). Also owning the Etymotic ER-4P, I was impressed with the Triple.Fi 10's.

The two reasons I returned them were:

1. They didn't provide the sound isolation I needed from an IEM. My most frequent use of IEM's is on cross-county airplane commutes to California.

2. Vocal representation - I felt on some songs, the vocals were "slightly" recessed (a common signature trait of UE's)

Both of these issues were really minor, but the more important of the two was the sound isolation.

So...I decided to try some of the Shure IEM's. To get the best feel, I purchased all three (SE530, SE420 and SE310). After listening to all three extensively, I surprisingly choose the SE310 as the keeper.

The SE310 provided the best balanced presentation, something which was important to me. If I desire a slightly warmer sound, I simply tweek the Equalizer on my iAudio 7.

For me the SE530 and SE420 were a bit too over pronounced in the low frequencies...for my taste. All three IEM's from Shure are excellent.

The biggest difference in the Shures (compared the the Triple.Fi's) is that the Shure's provide outstanding Sound Isolation...
 
Sep 15, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #17 of 32

honda

Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 15, 2006
Posts
94
Likes
0
Triple.fi 10pro is the only IEM that is able to get me to put my Etymotics away for over a month. I don't like the way they fit either, and I do not like the way the vocals are recessed. I am fairly happy with the highs although they still don't quite sound as good up there as the ER-4 to me.

What I like most about the Triple.fi 10pro is the low end. It's the only armature driver universal IEM that has a real low end. They've even ruined my SE530s for me. They extend deep (for armature drivers that is)! SE530s are pretty tight and punchy in the low end but only the triple.fis go DEEP. Whether you hear it or not depends whether they fit you or not though, and that's the most annoying thing about them. They only fit me sometimes, so I do have a use for my SE530s afterall.
 
Sep 15, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #18 of 32

manaox2

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 27, 2007
Posts
2,754
Likes
18
I have had to deal with most of the complaints about the triple.fi listed here and found what I think are the best solutions right here on this board.

Firstly, for the recessed midrange (vocals) and those wanting tighter, more detailed bass, I used a westone ES1 cable that is definitely a permanent mod now. The midrange seems to come forward, but still not near the midrange of the SE 530, but I prefer it this way. The bass is definitely tighter to my ears without a doubt in my mind as I quickly did several AB tests on different songs with noticeable difference compared to the stock.

Second, I dealt with the comfort and isolation issue. Anyone who is a fan of Shure should be able to tell you that their black foam sleeves are probably the most comfortable tip out there for any IEM, hence, the many mods using them. I was successful in getting them stretched onto my triple.fi with some trouble. The result is a much more comfortable and increased isolation. I haven't made up my mind as to what I think about the change in sound. The bass punches harder, but you will have to ask me later if it is a negative or positive impact. Isolation changes a lot in what you hear.

I hope this can help those who judge these things when making their decision. The triple.fi can make you want to scream in discomfort with the rubber tips from time to time and it is a bother to spend more on something that seems so overpriced as IEM accessories.
 
Sep 16, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #20 of 32

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 15, 2003
Posts
6,574
Likes
244
I don't think they sounded anything like ER-4. TFP's are open and airy with long decay. Etys...the exact opposite. I still think the TFP's are more pleasing to the ear and I would consider it an upgrade.

I can't stress enough that Etys MUST have proper amplification and EQ to compete with the big boys (that don't require amping).
 
Sep 16, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #22 of 32

Mr Iriver

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Posts
1,065
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by honda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Triple.fi 10pro is the only IEM that is able to get me to put my Etymotics away for over a month. I don't like the way they fit either, and I do not like the way the vocals are recessed. I am fairly happy with the highs although they still don't quite sound as good up there as the ER-4 to me.

What I like most about the Triple.fi 10pro is the low end. It's the only armature driver universal IEM that has a real low end. They've even ruined my SE530s for me. They extend deep (for armature drivers that is)! SE530s are pretty tight and punchy in the low end but only the triple.fis go DEEP. Whether you hear it or not depends whether they fit you or not though, and that's the most annoying thing about them. They only fit me sometimes, so I do have a use for my SE530s afterall.



whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. The SE530 goes deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeper.
 
Sep 16, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #23 of 32

Mr Iriver

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Posts
1,065
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not completely true. Ety ER4P don't need to be amplified. They just need a good source with a decent EQ.


but thing is. Im willing o bet over 90 percent of the people that buy IEMs buy them for portable us. There is not a single truly portable source that is a really good source. The etys do smoothen a lil with an amp, but out of a portable source, even if amped with a portable amp, they remain lacking. What Im saying then is... out of a portable, they are not to be compared with the other big boys. I used to own them for a short while, while i had the E3cs, and even then I prefered the E3c. I dont care for IEMs when not in a portable situation. The only IEMs I would use in a home rig are probably the triple drivers that can give me that full size headphone feel, but with the better imaging. I do think IEMs have better imaging than full size headphones.
 
Sep 16, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #24 of 32

jinx20001

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Posts
2,690
Likes
122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. The SE530 goes deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeper.


x2 strange how the frequency responses dont mirror the realities, the se530 go deeper and hit harder than the triple fi but the triple fi sparkle abit more in high end. id take mids and bass over sparkle anytime personally,especially mids and those are near unrivalled on the se530
 
Sep 16, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #26 of 32

antonyfirst

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 14, 2006
Posts
4,051
Likes
54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but thing is. Im willing o bet over 90 percent of the people that buy IEMs buy them for portable us. There is not a single truly portable source that is a really good source. The etys do smoothen a lil with an amp, but out of a portable source, even if amped with a portable amp, they remain lacking. What Im saying then is... out of a portable, they are not to be compared with the other big boys.


This is your opinion, denied by facts. If you have tried only iRivers, I can understand why you believe so. ER4P used to be a terrific IEM with my Kenwood and JVC players.
 
Sep 16, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #27 of 32

Mr Iriver

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Posts
1,065
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is your opinion, denied by facts. If you have tried only iRivers, I can understand why you believe so. ER4P used to be a terrific IEM with my Kenwood and JVC players.


Man I got the kenwood mp3 player. Yes THE kenwood player. Its the best source, but it still does not help the ER4. THe ER4 only start to sound smooth on my denon source.. I love the kenwood though. I dont know about the JVC players though. I also have an archos, and an ipod. My username is Mr iriver but I cant change it, so give me a break. I am a big fan of iRiver but their latest line up of HDD players is horrible. THe iRiver clix 2 is a really good source. Up there with the best portable mp3s as far as sound, but still not a good source.
The imod is actually a good source, but its not very portable. So my statement stands. The ER4 is not a very good portable IEM. Unamped in a portable source it gets raped by a bunch of IEMs. SO how is my opinion denied by the facts. I have the kenwood player you mentioned. It cost me a lot of money and sounds good, but is still a portable source. And why is using iRiver bad. If you look back in the polls, the iRiver players were rated as some of the best sounding portable items. So why are you making inaccurate assumptions.
 
Sep 16, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #28 of 32

jinx20001

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Posts
2,690
Likes
122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man I got the kenwood mp3 player. Yes THE kenwood player. Its the best source, but it still does not help the ER4. THe ER4 only start to sound smooth on my denon source.. I love the kenwood though. I dont know about the JVC players though. I also have an archos, and an ipod. My username is Mr iriver but I cant change it, so give me a break. I am a big fan of iRiver but their latest line up of HDD players is horrible. THe iRiver clix 2 is a really good source. Up there with the best portable mp3s as far as sound, but still not a good source.
The imod is actually a good source, but its not very portable. So my statement stands. The ER4 is not a very good portable IEM. Unamped in a portable source it gets raped by a bunch of IEMs. SO how is my opinion denied by the facts. I have the kenwood player you mentioned. It cost me a lot of money and sounds good, but is still a portable source. And why is using iRiver bad. If you look back in the polls, the iRiver players were rated as some of the best sounding portable items. So why are you making inaccurate assumptions.



i must agree really
biggrin.gif
the er4p are amazing but lack so much other high ends (se530 or triple fi etc.) have, in other words music is much more than great highs its also about powerful lows with super mids and mid lows are very important
basshead.gif
 
Sep 16, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #29 of 32

antonyfirst

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 14, 2006
Posts
4,051
Likes
54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man I got the kenwood mp3 player. Yes THE kenwood player. Its the best source, but it still does not help the ER4. THe ER4 only start to sound smooth on my denon source.. I love the kenwood though. I dont know about the JVC players though. I also have an archos, and an ipod. My username is Mr iriver but I cant change it, so give me a break.


Honestly, I was looking more at your signature than your nickname.

Quote:

I am a big fan of iRiver but their latest line up of HDD players is horrible. THe iRiver clix 2 is a really good source. Up there with the best portable mp3s as far as sound, but still not a good source.
The imod is actually a good source, but its not very portable. So my statement stands. The ER4 is not a very good portable IEM. Unamped in a portable source it gets raped by a bunch of IEMs. SO how is my opinion denied by the facts. I have the kenwood player you mentioned. It cost me a lot of money and sounds good, but is still a portable source. And why is using iRiver bad. If you look back in the polls, the iRiver players were rated as some of the best sounding portable items. So why are you making inaccurate assumptions.


As I told you, and as I wrote countless times, the Etys need a good Equalizer to sound good. The Rock preset on the Kenwood HD10GB7 and HD30GB9 does make the difference, and shapes the sound signature of the Etymotic in a terrific way. I've had a bunch of IEMs, and I find that Etys beat them all. Obviously, as that funny acronym says, YMMV.
 
Sep 16, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #30 of 32

Mr Iriver

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Posts
1,065
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I was looking more at your signature than your nickname.


Well my sig does say they USED to rule. Which means they dont anymore. THats why I use a kenwood instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I told you, and as I wrote countless times, the Etys need a good Equalizer to sound good. The Rock preset on the Kenwood HD10GB7 and HD30GB9 does make the difference, and shapes the sound signature of the Etymotic in a terrific way. I've had a bunch of IEMs, and I find that Etys beat them all. Obviously, as that funny acronym says, YMMV.


I have tried all that. I still can say I find a lot of IEMs better than the ER4 when it comes to portables. And amped, these many IEMs I find better, disappear, leaving only the triplefi, SE530, (E4c for some music), and UE 10 pro.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top