is this worth 50,000?
Mar 2, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 39
Krell makes nice stuff, and their name means a lot to people with more money than brains. In a word, yes.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 39
Yeah I've seen people with NAP500 Naim power amps ($25000) upgrading to those jobbies
biggrin.gif

Just read this:

"If there is one area the 600 could be improved, I feel it is in the amp's ability to define the air that exists between and around the performers."

If you take that literally, it's quite funny
biggrin.gif

I can't find the weight of these things, but I remember them being VERY heavy!

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckledragger
Krell makes nice stuff, and their name means a lot to people with more money than brains. In a word, yes.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't know anything about this particular product, but my observation has been that, in general, people who have a lot of money tend to have a lot of brains. This isn't true in all cases, but it's much easier to find smart wealthy people than it is to find dumb wealthy people.

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I don't know anything about this particular product, but my observation has been that, in general, people who have a lot of money tend to have a lot of brains. This isn't true in all cases, but it's much easier to find smart wealthy people than it is to find dumb wealthy people.

Oh snap

true dat

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #6 of 39
I don't really like the implications of that statement when carried to its ends, but I do agree that it takes certainly a healthy measure of cunning to obtain wealth. Retaining it, on the other hand, may be as easy as checking the account balance to see how the interest-bearing fund mommy and daddy set up is looking at any given time and knowing enough basic math not to go over a certain spending limit.

I certainly think it would be awfully difficult to find a correlation between wealth and low intelligence, for what it's worth, given the population spread and wealth distribution. It would be statistically difficult, to say the least.

However, "status" items don't serve as an indication of brains, but only of wealth. Somewhat ineffable, but generally accurate?

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Retaining it, on the other hand, may be as easy as checking the account balance to see how the interest-bearing fund mommy and daddy set up is looking at any given time and knowing enough basic math not to go over a certain spending limit.

Sure, but unless mommy and daddy won the lottery, or adopted the subject of this hypothesis, there should be some genotypical and fenotypical "brains" flowing down the lineage, too.

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus

*cough* paris hilton *cough*

(and many celebrities)

icon10.gif

I know, I did read that you wrote "This isn't true in all cases"

Chris

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #9 of 39
Yeah, but look at all the self made millionaires/billionaires in the world. Hardly any of them can be classified as stupid.

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:18 AM Post #10 of 39
Oh snap indeed.

It wasn't my intention to start a class war in here. Mayhap the "evil" icon didn't register properly. My point is that Krell products are fabulously built, but are excessively expensive even for what they are. Generally, rich people stay rich by not spending their money. Especially not spending it foolishly. The few people whom I know personally that can afford Krell gear and care sufficiently about audio that they would buy equipment in that price range prefer the products of other companies. Conrad-Johnson comes to mind immediately.

Remember those $10,000 LAT speakers Krell made? They were overglorified bookshelf units. Outshone by B&W or Thiels costing half as much.

Again, I don't think there's anything wrong with Krell gear, but a good deal of the premium price they command comes from the mystique behind the name. A discerning audiophile shopper will almost always find more sound for less money from another manufacturer.

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:48 AM Post #11 of 39
IMO the heydays of monoblock amplifiers and towering reference two-channel speaker systems serving as status symbols (probably early 90s) are long gone. These days, people with really big bank accounts are more likely to buy these amps to power their in-home movie theaters, hiding away the electronics in some cabinet.

Of course there's the odd exception to the rule, but who cares anyway.

Mar 2, 2006 at 11:30 AM Post #12 of 39
I guess I tire more easily than do most of the constant insinuations (as made by so many observers of the high end audio scene over an extended period of time) that just because someone wants and can afford something that is rare and terribly expensive, that they must therefore be stupid to actually buy it.

In my experience, there are a limited number of truly magical moments in the life of an audiophile that are brought on by the exposure to certain pieces of gear. When one of those rare moments "hit" us like a ton of bricks, every one of us would love to stand up in the audition room, reach for a checkbook and simply ask, "How much do I make this out for?" The fact that the vast majority of us cannot do this doesn't change the fact that we would love to do it if we could because we would know at that moment that it makes no sense to search any further for sonic bliss, and that no matter how many more speakers or amps we will ever listen to, it will never get better than this.

Of course, it's different for every single one of us, so the gear that hits me might not hit you (and vise versa), but when it does and you know it, and your first instinct is to sell your house if you have to in order to "make it happen" then you'll know what the guy buying this Krell amp is feeling.

For me, it's the MBL 101e speakers driven by the MBL 9008 (or better yet, 9011) monoblocks. I know that I could do almost as well for far, far, cheaper, such as the highly touted and highly efficient (101 dB) Zu Cable Definition speakers and just about any 2 watt amp, but would anything except the MBL gear that I fell in love with in New York in April of 2004 ever get me completely there again? Is it worth 5 times the money for an extra 1% of musical satisfaction? That's what I'm struggling with right at this moment, so I guess I identify with the Krell customers out there. Only my wallet doesn't go as deep as most of their's do.

Mar 2, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTroy
I wonder if this guy will sell many
http://www.krellonline.com/index.php

I think you're really new in hi-fi world. Yes, he sell a lot, and since many years.

Dan D'Agostino made a strong part of high-end history with wonderful amplification. (that has to cost a lot, necessarily if you make less and less compromise).

bye
Andrew

Mar 2, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #14 of 39
I doubt many trust fund kids are blowing their money on high-end audio gear. I would say most, if not all 'stupid audiophiles with more money than sense' have worked for their income.

Next mention will be the starving children of the world. I can sense it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back