Is this the end of DVD?
Feb 23, 2002 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 16
Man this is so much B.S. When I first bought into DVDs I was so worried about the next thing, given just how much DVDs cost and still do cost, and if I was going to invest in DVDs there had better not be something over the horizon that was going to replace them. I had hoped the next thing wouldn't come for at least another 5+ years. Talk about raping consumers for money.

But come on, realistically, who's going to really make use of so much space, if all it takes to fit a 2-3 hour movie is 4.7 gigs? I mean the way things currently are I'll bet they could easily throw entire series of movies onto one DVD, but purposely don't, just to make us pay more...prime example of this in anime where TV series are split into several DVDs, and each DVD is $30 each. If they already aren't making very smart use of DVD space, what use is 27 gigs going to do? I highly doubt they'll throw the whole Star Wars trilogy onto one disc for the benefit of the consumer. Maybe after they've released seperate DVDs of each episode.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 23, 2002 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 16
This Blu-Ray technology could be the shot in the arm that the HDTV movement needs. Broadcasters are complaining that HD is not taking off because the manufacturers aren't doing enough to promote the TV's, manufacturers are complaining that the broadcasters aren't offering enough programming so that people can justify buying the units. A Blu-Ray player with a few hundred current and classic movies in HDTV could be the trigger that gets people to buy HDTV's and kickstart the digital television revolution that so far has not gotten off to an auspicious start.

Feb 23, 2002 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 16
I really think it is a case of, does the average consumer see any benefit to the $$$ outlaid?. In most cases, in my experience, no.

I took my DVD (Pioneer 535) to my brothers house today to watch a movie, and also to see how it compared to his PS2. His wife could not see any difference between the players, or even to a cheap VHS player. Their TV is not SOTA, but I had no trouble at all seeing a large difference between the DVD sources and VHS, nor did my bro'. BTW the Pioneer was better. He would like to get a surround amp and a better DVD, but his wife is dead against the expenditure as she can't see the difference. So what do you reckon his chances are of getting it?

VCR's represented a big advance for people and their viewing pleasure. DVD took that a small step up (beter A+V, but no recording), but not enough for most people to buy one here. HDTV is dead in the water. DVD sales might pick up a fair amount when they can record and are not too much more expensive than a VCR.
Note:Australians are usually one of the countries with the highest take-up rate of new technology.

The people who frequent forums such as this are usually audio/video-'philes, and peak performance is something we strive for. For most people, value, benefit, ease of use and longevity / reliability are more important. Irrespective of the touted benefits of new technologies, manufacturers cannot force them on the public. Blu-ray and HDTV are great ways to get us all to spend lots of money to replace gear that works perfectly adequately for most people, for something that is questionably of imcreased benefit. But it will make the companies bottom line look better wont it?

Feb 23, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 16
DVD has 4 different levels, and they chose the smallest, aka DVD-5, as an example. There's also DVD-9, DVD10, and DVD-18, which holds 17.1 G. All of a sudden the gap doesn't seem as wide.

Undermines the veracity of the entire article.

Feb 24, 2002 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
DVD has 4 different levels, and they chose the smallest, aka DVD-5, as an example. There's also DVD-9, DVD10, and DVD-18, which holds 17.1 G. All of a sudden the gap doesn't seem as wide.

Undermines the veracity of the entire article.

The artical says 27 gigs per layer, so its much much more than 17.1 (Im guessing this is for the whole disc). Then there is double density which is 50 gigs per layer (Im guessing about 4 layers double sided which comes to about 200 gigs per cd) which is a hell of a lot !!

Lucky I didnt buy a dvd player...only a pioneer drive for my pc
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2002 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 16
I don't think HDTV is dead, I just think that it's gestation time is longer than most introductory technologies. VCR and DVD exploded quite quickly; just because HDTV didn't take off like a rocket doesn't mean it's not a useful new format. It's going to take time and more commitment from the manufacturers to come up with cost saving techniques to make the T.V.'s reasonably priced, but eventually HDTV or something like it will be the standard.

Feb 24, 2002 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
But come on, realistically, who's going to really make use of so much space, if all it takes to fit a 2-3 hour movie is 4.7 gigs?

I think its more like 90 mins to 4.7 gigs, hence the need to dual layers on 3 hr flicks. I havent seen anything longer than 3 hrs 10mins (give or take) for a dual layer on one side. Anyone own Stephen King's "The Stand?" I think that was the first DVD18 movie released.

Feb 24, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #9 of 16
First of all, I stand corrected on the capacity issue. Next time maybe I should read the entire article...heh...
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
I think its more like 90 mins to 4.7 gigs, hence the need to dual layers on 3 hr flicks. I havent seen anything longer than 3 hrs 10mins (give or take) for a dual layer on one side. Anyone own Stephen King's "The Stand?" I think that was the first DVD18 movie released.

I believe the original Blade Runner DVD has both the widescreen and pan-and-scan on one side. Might even be 4.7 G, which would explain why it looks so horrid. (Blade Runner is a 2 hour movie, so that would be 4 hours on one side.)

Feb 26, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 16
Higher capacity = higher resolutions. Higher than 1080 line progressive scan video
eek.gif
, with 60 frames instead of 24/30 (although I think there would have to be an update to the MPEG2 format). Multiple audio tracks, DTS/DD/DVD-A (Multitrack/Stereo PCM) in 32bit/192khz, redbook. Also great for data storage. Would be wonderful for 2400dpi negative scans, hell even 1920x1080 mpeg2 home video. 27GB discs? I say bring it on, just don't kill us with mega robbery prices.

Feb 26, 2002 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 16
My strategy of not buying a DVD-ROM drive looks pretty smart at the moment....

I want this just for the data capacity/recording. Finaly It will be feasable to do full HD image backups without resorting to tapes, which get very expensive as you go up in capacity.

One disk would be larger than my HD.....

Mar 3, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #13 of 16
Wow. Vertigo with the hardcore anti-technology stance.

I'm pro-any format better than the ones currently available to me. Unfortunately, this made me slightly anti-digital from the get go. I'm pro DVD video but depressed that no one utilizes its PCM abilities and that music out of standard DVDs sucks compared to uncompressed redbook on laserdiscs and CDs.

Which is why I'm actually somewhat pro-blue laser, or anything else that comes out that gives me more space. I'm satisfied with the video quality as far as NTSC is concerned but I'd really be a lot happier with less compressed audio tracks.

And as for converting your library. Heh. I recommend keeping your old library. New formats do not destroyed your old software. Your desire to buy new versions of the same old software is more of a statement of support for new formats than a protest against them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #14 of 16
I would not worry about this technology and rather...I would simply pass it over and wait for the fdisc which shoudl be arriving on the scene in 3-5 years. This disc hold 140 gigs to start because it uses a florescing technology for the dye. The laser can hit the pits and cause different floresced colours resulting in multi layers of data on a single layer...kinda complicated to explain, I will try to find the link (*looks frantically through his hd with no luck*)

So much vaporware is upon us....I am not too worried, although...it would be great if a simple firm ware upgrade would do the trick and the players could be forward compatible...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back