Is this possible to do? Remove the Noise Canceling feature on Dre Beats Studio?
Jul 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

HiFiGuy528

Member of the Trade: Woo Audio
I am not smart enough to do mods. Perhaps someone here can advice. Is it possible to remove the Noise Canceling feature on the Beats Studio so it will work like a standard headphones without a built-in amp? Has anyone researched this?

Please don't turn this thread into "why waste time on Beats" or bad things about the brand.

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 22
It should be possible... Just yank out the circuitry and reconnect the appropriate wires.

A while ago I was actually looking to transplant some ortho drivers into a Beats shell and replace the NC circuit with a proper amp. Alas, I never did get my hands on a donor Beats shell. 

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:
It should be possible... Just yank out the circuitry and reconnect the appropriate wires.

A while ago I was actually looking to transplant some ortho drivers into a Beats shell and replace the NC circuit with a proper amp. Alas, I never did get my hands on a donor Beats shell. 

WHY?!?!?!!? 

probably because the shells always broke.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 22
I don't mind how the headphones sound.  I'm just not a fan of needing batteries to use it.  So if it could be mod to use without the NC & batteries, it would be a decent Hip-Hop cans.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:
WHY?!?!?!!? 

probably because the shells always broke.

I kinda wanted to do it as a proof of concept. Just to build it because I could. It'd also be something to appeal to the younger consumer audiophile who wanted good sound but still felt pressure to "fit in" with Beats. 

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

I kinda wanted to do it as a proof of concept. Just to build it because I could. It'd also be something to appeal to the younger consumer audiophile who wanted good sound but still felt pressure to "fit in" with Beats. 

If I was as handy as you, I would do it in a heartbeat.  Please give it some serious thoughts. If it turns out good you may have a mod business.

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 22
Heh, the only readily available orthos these days are the T50rp which have quite a fanatical following already. Not sure if I could compete with the numerous modders out there already doing there thing. 

The fuzzy plan was to take something like an SFI or other vintage driver, or maybe a modern T50rp (I'd have to hack the case to make it fit... if even possible), then figure out what kind of amp I could sub in. Maybe the FiiO e6 or the PA2V2 (since that also works off two AAA batteries). This is all a backburner project though. I do currently have a spare T50rp, but have never obtained a Beats shell to experiment with and/or disassemble. At one point I was thinking of buying one of the fakes, but even then I don't want to spend $100. At one point I actually posted a local classified looking for broken beats, but those all had broken frames and not busted drivers. 

Hmm.

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:
Heh, the only readily available orthos these days are the T50rp which have quite a fanatical following already. Not sure if I could compete with the numerous modders out there already doing there thing. 

The fuzzy plan was to take something like an SFI or other vintage driver, or maybe a modern T50rp (I'd have to hack the case to make it fit... if even possible), then figure out what kind of amp I could sub in. Maybe the FiiO e6 or the PA2V2 (since that also works off two AAA batteries). This is all a backburner project though. I do currently have a spare T50rp, but have never obtained a Beats shell to experiment with and/or disassemble. At one point I was thinking of buying one of the fakes, but even then I don't want to spend $100. At one point I actually posted a local classified looking for broken beats, but those all had broken frames and not busted drivers. 

Hmm.

The beats shell will most probably break first, thats why.

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 22
after you do away with the noise canceling feature you should drill a bunch of holes in the back of them and make them some open air headphones as well.
o2smile.gif

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 22
I checked out some disassembly videos and there's a small plate behind the drivers. Presumably to keep the enclosure space consistent between the two cups. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
I checked out some disassembly videos and there's a small plate behind the drivers. Presumably to keep the enclosure space consistent between the two cups. 

That's good to know.  I would still keep the guts inside to keep the weight.

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #14 of 22
Hi,

Yes removing the circuit is very possible! I've done it twice. Once on the Studio and next on the Pro models. The Studio version had the board screwed into the cup, so I had to use a Dremel with a cutting stone to remove it. On the Pro it was just "snapped" in with tabs, but had a plastic plate in front of it. No screws at all, just tabs holding it in place, gotta love that!

The circuit seems to alter the sound a bit and without it the sound is clearer with less bass bloat.

Quote:

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #15 of 22
Why would there be a circuit on the Pro? It's not powered or have any noise canceling.

On the Studio, how did you reconnect the wires to bypass the amp? So the Studio sounded thin without the amp circuit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back