Is this good enough? (For me)
Jul 1, 2008 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

nmxdaven

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, have a few questions,

While I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means, I do enjoy a decent sounding pair of headphones for my PC. I currently have a pair of HD555's, and their my only real experience with high(ish) end phones. However, lately I've been wondering if I'm missing out, so with that in mind heres my questions.

I'm currently driving the 555's with the headphone out jack on my Logitec 5.1's. I can only guess its amplifying the cans as the volume difference between this and plugging them directly into the sound card (xfi) is pretty big. As I don't really have anything to reference it too, would it be worth it for me to invest in a good headphone amp? Would it be a noticeable difference to my undiscerning ears, or can the headphone out do everything I need?

Thanks!!

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 20
I'm a newb as well when it comes to amps and other high-endish things but I do know the HD555s are easy to drive. I've had an HD595 and my x-fi had no trouble with it.

I did hear however that the 595s excel quite a bit from an amp, especially in the bass. My 'Old Akai Amp' did get a bit more juice out of the 595s.

If it's worth getting an amp for the HD555s. Hmm, I don't think so; the HD555s are no hi-fi by any means and it would be bananas to get an amp for them IMO.

However. If you stick around here long enough you will get a better pair of headphones together with a nice DAC and amp. :lol

A wellknowm welcome to new head-fiers is therefore 'Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet'.
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 20
as far as i know, hd555 does benefit from amping.
you may hear improvement by the amping the sound that comes out of the headphone jack of your sound card. however, i dont think its worth amping.
i suggest getting a usb dac + amp combo. you connect it to your computer via usb cable. its sound will be completely different from the one coming out of the soundcard headphone jack.
there are lots of choices for dac/amp combo. the cheaper (under $200 i think) but popular one of late is ibasso boa. go-vibe petite is popular too. then there are more expensive choices such as 2move, pico and predator.

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 20
Haha Enthusia, I think I have to agree. Your amp is twice the price of your headphones. Hmm, but then again I plan on getting the MKIII as well for my MS-1s
rolleyes.gif
But later on it will serve my K701/DT880/HD650
evil_smiley.gif

In case of the TS I don't think it's worth getting an amp. Getting a DAC will make your sound nicer but if you want to keep using your x-fi gadget thingies I don't think that's possible with a usb-dac. Correct me there if I'm wrong though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 20
I think youre ready to sell the 555 and get the 600 + Little Dot Mk lll
smily_headphones1.gif
DO it!!!
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nmxdaven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently driving the 555's with the headphone out jack on my Logitec 5.1's. I can only guess its amplifying the cans as the volume difference between this and plugging them directly into the sound card (xfi) is pretty big. As I don't really have anything to reference it too, would it be worth it for me to invest in a good headphone amp? Would it be a noticeable difference to my undiscerning ears, or can the headphone out do everything I need?

I think that the first step should be getting a better source, like tjumper proposed. A DAC/Amp combo should work fine. Later you can upgrade to better cans. And then upgrade to a separate amp (tubes maybe?). And then buy cans from a different manufacturer to hear other sound signatures...and then it never stops
very_evil_smiley.gif
...By the way, sorry for your wallet...

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 20
eek.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha Enthusia, I think I have to agree. Your amp is twice the price of your headphones. Hmm, but then again I plan on getting the MKIII as well for my MS-1s
rolleyes.gif
evil_smiley.gif

In case of the TS I don't think it's worth getting an amp. Getting a DAC will make your sound nicer but if you want to keep using your x-fi gadget thingies I don't think that's possible with a usb-dac. Correct me there if I'm wrong though
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha I just realized that, "looks at the hd555's and then looks at the LD3."
eek.gif
I will probably be upgrading my dac to the zero, I have like 4 headphones I need to sell though, which is can be a good thing and a bad thing.

Quote:

I think youre ready to sell the 555 and get the 600 + Little Dot Mk lll
DO it!!!

As for upgrading to the hd600, I think I might shoot for the 580, there are a couple for sale now and they are in my price range.
smily_headphones1.gif
As for selling the hd555's, I think that would be a miracle. Ive had mine for 2 years now and they look very beat up, but Its all about the sound isn't it?

Jul 3, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
evil_smiley.gif

I have the MS-1s, MKIII, and the Zero and I think the MS-1 benefits the most from the nice DAC on the Zero.

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #11 of 20
I have to join the chorus and say go with one of the Little Dot Mk amps, look into the MkII if budget is a concern, the advantage of the Little Dot amps is that you can tailor the sound to your exact preference down the road with tube upgrades.

- DoA

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the MS-1s, MKIII, and the Zero and I think the MS-1 benefits the most from the nice DAC on the Zero.

Thank you Coredump. However, I'm going to hotrod my X-FI. It's going to be a nice (first :p) project and if I screw up I don't really care
wink.gif

As for the hotrodded X-FI, cotdt who started the hotrod thread said he likes the hotrodded x-fi over the Benchmark DAC1
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia
As for upgrading to the hd600, I think I might shoot for the 580, there are a couple for sale now and they are in my price range. As for selling the hd555's, I think that would be a miracle. Ive had mine for 2 years now and they look very beat up, but Its all about the sound isn't it?

A couple of days ago I read a 580 vs 595 vs 600 vs 650 and according to that review the 600 is at least one level above the 580. You should find it here somewhere on the forums. Ah, I found it (I hate the head-fi search
mad.gif
). It's here.

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

As for the hotrodded X-FI, cotdt who started the hotrod thread said he likes the hotrodded x-fi over the Benchmark DAC1
eek.gif

DAC1 certainly measures better, though. Stereophile: Benchmark DAC1 USB D/A processor & headphone amplifier

Quote:

A couple of days ago I read a 580 vs 595 vs 600 vs 650 and according to that review the 600 is at least one level above the 580. You should find it here somewhere on the forums. Ah, I found it (I hate the head-fi search
mad.gif
). It's here.

graphCompare.php

It depends on whether or not +5db at 20 Hz is worth $100 to you.
smily_headphones1.gif

^(yay flame wars)

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #15 of 20
Argh flame wars indeed
evil_smiley.gif

Nah, I don't have the money to get all those expensive things. I hope to get the MKIII for my 17th birthday and modding the X-FI should also be inexpensive if I don't screw up, that is
wink.gif

Well, the reviewer found the 600 to be a lot better than the 580. Also, you simply can't tell what's the better headphone from freq. response alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back