Is this <gasp> illegal?
Oct 28, 2002 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Here's a question for you experts out there. Say I have a few cds that I want to make a copy of, so I can keep a binder in the car. Basically, I don't want the risk/hassle of keeping my cds in the car, shuttling them to my home cd player, etc. So, I make a copy of them. Is this illegal, or does this fall under "fair use?" According to the law is this illegal? According to the RIAA, is this illegal?
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 36
I wouldn't worry a bit about making copies for your own usage legal or not...but don't you dare tear off the label on you pillow if you know whats good for you...

You may be interested in thoughs new car stereo players that you just upload the music you want into so you won't need to keep any CDs in your car...i presume they are MP3 players but as far as sound quality i have no idea...

Oct 28, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Here's a question for you experts out there. Say I have a few cds that I want to make a copy of, so I can keep a binder in the car. Basically, I don't want the risk/hassle of keeping my cds in the car, shuttling them to my home cd player, etc. So, I make a copy of them. Is this illegal, or does this fall under "fair use?" According to the law is this illegal? According to the RIAA, is this illegal?
wink.gif

Oh c'mon! Like the RIAA is gonna be driving around pulling people over...you well know what kind of collection i have besides commercial cds, i could care less what the RIAA thinks.

Oct 28, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
gloco: our revolutionary leading us against the RIAA.
smily_headphones1.gif

you know, i swear i posted something similar about gloco like a few months ago...involving him and the RIAA.....whoa deja vu....
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

Yeah, i remember that topic regarding the RIAA. I just don't why their should be any worries about copying cd's to listen in the car, etc. It's like making tape copies from LP's so you can have your own tunes in the car. As long as you don't try to sell those copies, there's nothing to worry about.

Oct 28, 2002 at 7:53 AM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
biggrin.gif

Yeah, i remember that topic regarding the RIAA. I just don't why their should be any worries about copying cd's to listen in the car, etc. It's like making tape copies from LP's so you can have your own tunes in the car. As long as you don't try to sell those copies, there's nothing to worry about.

Agreed...

Its YOUR CD so you can do what you like with it, as long as it doesn't benefit you, or others financially...

Next they'll say that I can't use shampoo, because it goes down the plug-hole...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 3:04 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Here's a question for you experts out there. Say I have a few cds that I want to make a copy of, so I can keep a binder in the car. Basically, I don't want the risk/hassle of keeping my cds in the car, shuttling them to my home cd player, etc. So, I make a copy of them.

this is exactly what i do when i buy a new cd. i don't keep cds in my car, way too many horror stories about entire collections being stolen and stuff. however, i can live if somebody ganks my 24cd folder filled with thirty cent cd-rs. so, when i get home i rip it and burn it (secure in eac with read/write offsets and added cd-text, of course) and file the original album away so it's all nice and prestine. i can't stand all of my friends with their store-bought cds all scratched up and thrown all over their cars and house.

also, i find it's a good way to spread music around. if anybody is in my car and i'm showing them some crappy new band i love, i can give them my copy and go home and make another without any worries. they of course can then buy the album at a later time.
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 4:05 PM Post #12 of 36
Totally legal as fair use. As long as it's for your personal use or archiving, you can make as many copies as you want. It's when you start handing out cd's to all your friends or start selling them that you get into trouble. I think there was an actual court case over facts similar to these; I believe the court ruled that it's fair use because you own the original cd, and only have the copy for convenience (i.e. you don't want to have to carry the original from house to car to work and back again).

Nov 3, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 36
In answer to andrzejpw's original question, no it is not illegal. Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Its YOUR CD so you can do what you like with it, as long as it doesn't benefit you, or others financially...

Uh, no, technically, that's not correct. The point is not whether or not you make any money, they don't care about that, the point is protecting the artists from losing money. Actually, it has nothing to do with money, but I won't go into that (intellectual ownership, or whatever the term is) right now.

For example, there was an artist, Evil's Toy, whose album, For Angels Only is astoundingly good. It was so good that a (former) friend of mine was giving away copies of it to everyone he knew. I told him to stop, but he didn't care. Anyway, there weren't enough sales to justify selling their next album in the U.S. -- it is available as import only. They even wrote a song about it (something about wishing for "...an un-Napster-ed state...").

That is illegal, even though my friend didn't get anything out of it. He thought he was just promoting the band/album.

Nov 3, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #14 of 36
Making a copy of a cd is fair use. But, who really cares? I've probably made hundreds of copies for friends of music, not to mention the 18 (and counting) copies of WinXP I;ve made. If it were so illegal, I would be in jail right now.

Nov 3, 2002 at 11:12 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by penvzila
Making a copy of a cd is fair use. But, who really cares? I've probably made hundreds of copies for friends of music, not to mention the 18 (and counting) copies of WinXP I;ve made. If it were so illegal, I would be in jail right now.

LOL. It is illegal to make copies of copyrighted material AND give it out to friends for free. Your not in jail so far because you haven't publically stated you hand out copies to your friend's (up until this post) or your friend's haven't called up M$ to let them know what you are up to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back