Is this for real?
Jan 6, 2009 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

amphead

Headphoneus Supremus
Is this for real? It is supposed to be at the Australian Reptile Park.
biggrin.gif

Google Image Result for http://www.reptilepark.com.au/images/mediaphotos/RedbackToiletpicture.jpg

redback.jpg

Jan 6, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 35
DUDE! ...**** dude, I literally just woke up and just had to click this.
mad.gif

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 35
Have you ever seen one running around your neighborhood? Are they a protected species?

Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
r129695_427529.jpg

It is the funnel webs you have to worry about.

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #10 of 35
"For arachnophobes, the Funnelweb shows that fear of spiders is not unjustified. Big black and hairy, it can grow to a length of 4.5 cm. Its fangs are equally impressive. The size of a cats’ claws, they literally drip with venom powerful enough to kill several adult humans. Like a snake, it strikes them down from a height with a force powerful enough to pierce a fingernail.

Befitting its intimidating appearance, is its venom. The venom contains a toxin called atraxtoxin which attacks the nerves - sending thousands of electrical impulses through them. Muscles twitch violently and the victim experiences a profuse flow of sweat, tears and saliva. If left untreated, the victim can suffer respiratory collapse, slip into a coma, suffer brain damage and die. The Funnelweb has killed people in less than 15 minutes. No other spider has killed people in less than two hours."

That isn't the worst. Imagine this:

"Sometimes the spider may fall in into backyard swimming pools where they can float supported by air bubbles trapped among their body hairs. If swimming, it is generally advised to avoid touching fluffy balls of black hair."

*Shudders*

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #11 of 35
Are you sure those aren't Halloween decorations?

The spiders I hated were the hobo spiders that live in central Oregon. Not poisonous, but they're big, fast and bite. They'd slip under the garage door when it got cold and I had to keep an eye out for them when I went down to work on my truck. I kept a can of spray adhesive handy - that would slow them down enough to whack them. Spray adhesive works great with horseflies and other nasties, too. Some adhesives will spray six orseven feet and you don't have to be that accurate.

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure those aren't Halloween decorations?

The spiders I hated were the hobo spiders that live in central Oregon. Not poisonous, but they're big, fast and bite. They'd slip under the garage door when it got cold and I had to keep an eye out for them when I went down to work on my truck. I kept a can of spray adhesive handy - that would slow them down enough to whack them. Spray adhesive works great with horseflies and other nasties, too. Some adhesives will spray six orseven feet and you don't have to be that accurate.

I've never thought of that! Could you spray that inside?

I haaaate spiders-- only thing that I'm really scared of. Snakes, scorpions and any kind of insects don't really affect me. I think it has something to do with having eight legs, tons of eyes, being poisonous, or hairy that does it... I haven't figured it out yet X |

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #14 of 35
black widows don't live together and don't get even an hundredth the size of those decorations,they are rather small spiders. i think the biggest one i saw was like 3/4in with its leg spread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back